Home

New idea for civ numbers in SWGB2

Darth Windu

In terms of SWGB2 civ numbers, it has been said by a few forumers that 5 is a good number. I disagree with this, mainly because it goes against what i like to call the 'adversarial policy'. By this, i mean that every civ must have a nemesis civ to compete with.

Therefore, i came to the conclusion that 4 or 6 civs is the best idea, with 4 proabably being optimal for balance and 6 for diversity.

HOWEVER i was thinking about this last night, and as many of you will know, i had my 8 normal civs and the Yuuzhan Vong as a secret 'bonus' civ. Now, however, i have a new plan.

What if we had, for civs-

- Empire

- Republic

- Rebels

- Confederacy

with a Royal Naboo/Gungan bonus secret civ that you can access once you have done something like completeing the campaigns on hardest difficulty.

Thoughts?

What about having the 4 main civs (Rep, Rebs, GE and Confed) as unique civs, but then including a number of minor civs (Naboo, Gungans, Wooks, TF etc) which are basically copies of one of the major civs but with different graphics. That gets round the conflict between balancing and diversity to a certain extent, although it's probably not ideal.

saber - actually i have considered that, but came to a slightly different conclusion.

With my idea of minor civs, which would include civs like the Wookiees, Gungans/Naboo, Corellians, Kaminoans, Hutts, Geonosians etc.

My idea is that they have no unique buildings or unique abilities/powers. Instead, they would be generic civs with different art, but also different combinations of weapons, such as the Hutts having no Navy etc.

This way, there could still be uniqueness in the game with minor civs, and without eating up lots of CPU or RAM.

Hmm, interesting idea. Sounds good in theory, but will it actually work?

My main problem with forcing the Naboo/Gungans into a generic mold is that they are one of the most unique civs, particularly when it comes to Gungans. Sheild Fambaas and Gungan Catapults would need to be included, and I don't see how these can be genericised.

But I do like the unlocking when finishing campaigns. This encourages people to actually play the campaigns.

Archived