Home

Darth Windu's NEW SWGB2 template

Darth Windu

Vostok - but then Anti-Air defences and units are also part of military research. I should also point out that the Rocket Trooper counts as anti-air, so there would be very little chance of rushing with air the way you have explained it if we were using traditional researching.

FroZ - not true. If people want to rush, they can rush. As for boundries, i do have them, but all they define is where a player can build structures and mine resources.

On a side note, what does everyone think of my change to the Imperial Starfleet Uplink?

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The whole point of fast air Windu is to kill as many workers as possible before the guy can get any rocket troopers or any aa out. "Traditional researching" is more possible to hit fast air than this system you have because people know which direction they are flowing and know the building blocks to hit that strat.

FroZ - GOSH! SHOCK!! HORROR!!!

You might have to change the strategies you have been using for x amount of games. You do realise that NEW and ORIGINAL ideas are what keeps genre's and games fresh and interesting, dont you?

Regardless, you still didnt comment on my change to the Starfleet Uplink.

Also, i have added 'Movement Autonomy', 'Weapons Autonomy' and 'Orders' to my template which i think are quite nice.

Well if they impliment new systems with every game as you put it how can I use the same strategy with all the RTS I supposedly play. Plus original ideas (don't go hurting yourself Windu mentioning that word) are not just a bunch of games you played for the last x amount of months and just changed unit names and added them together......

The only "original" part of your research idea, Windu, is that you invest money in it rather than click it every time you want to go to the next level. Sure, it's a little more realistic, but it is dumbing-down RoN's idea. It requires absolutely no thinking. Most people will invest all their stuff evenly and not have to concern themselves with research for the rest of the game.

As for your other ideas:

I really don't like the new Starfleet Uplink. It gives you access to the Recon TIE, which I assume you made up and which violates Vostok's Laws of Non-Canon Units and Star-Warsy-ness.

I quite like your Orders idea, but as for Movement Autonomy and Weapons Autonomy I think the traditional Aggressive/Defensive/Hold Ground Stances do this better. They at least make more sense than red/yellow/green.

FroZ - they HAVENT been implimenting new systems, thats the point

Vostok - why are you so obsessed with my research being similar to RoN - it isnt, get over it.

As for the Starfleet Uplink, i changed that because, quite simply, i thought it over-powered the Empire, and i dont like Superweapons. As for the Recon TIE Fighter, all it is is a TIE that reveals an area instead of shooting - not a big leap. I should also point out that you have non-canon units, such as the V-19, in your template.

As for the Movement/Weapons autonomy, the reason they are colour-coded is so people know exactly which is which in a hurry, thats all.

But when you know the controls of an RTS and are in a hurry you don't look. You use hotkeys as much as possible and even when you have to click a button with a mouse, you often do it instinctively because you just know the position of the button.

Who are you trying to convince that your system is totally dissimilar to RoNs? It isn't, get over it.

And while I do have non-canon units in my template, they all follow my Laws. Obviously you can't have a decent RTS without some non-canon units. Here's my Laws again to refresh your memory:

Vostok's Laws of Non-Canon Units and Star-Warsy-ness

1. It shall not replace or at least do-as-well-as a canon unit at a given task.

2. It is possible for it to exist as we did not see a type of warfare it excels at in the movies.

3. It shall not have some amazing ability that just about every army would have if they existed.

The Recon TIE violates Law Number 2. If Recon TIEs existed, they would have been sent into the asteroid field to search for the Millennium Falcon in The Empire Strikes Back.

Hardly Vostok. The Empire was hunting to kill/disable her, and since the Recon TIE doesnt carry any weapons, it would've been useless in that task, especially considering that there was SD's there.

I should also point out that the Republic's V-19 violates that rule as well, if the Clones had a fighter they would've used it on Geonosis to cover the Gunships.

saber - then novice players have it a little easier, and it doesnt affact veterns - so its a good system then.

Anyway, i have updated my template on the website. I have now merged the Rebel Commando and Sniper, and given the Rebel's the Power Droid which could come in very handy. I'd also like to know if people think the Rebel Commando should capture or blow up buildings, and how capturing buidlings should work, if it is included at all.

I also changed my research to be divided into three section (Military) and two sections (Economic and Civic)

Oh yeah, i also included in-text links to make everything easier to find.

It's true the Empire needed something with weapons, but to me it would make sense to send in a ship that has advanced sensors and better manouverability to actually find the Falcon, then send in the armed ships. This would result in less losses from the asteroid field. When the Falcon was hidden, we see TIE Bombers flying over dropping bombs. They were trying to find the Falcon by flushing her out, they weren't actually thinking the bombs would kill anything. A Recon TIE would obviously be much better at this task.

As for the V-19, it doesn't contradict anything. First of all, the Battle of Geonosis was the first conflict involving the Clones, so it's possible the V-19 wasn't in use yet, but more importantly fighters like this are not used for ground support in Star Wars. If they were, we would have seen TIE Fighters on Hoth, Droid Starfighters on Naboo and Geonosian Fighter in support of the Separatist army on Geonosis.

Or are you suggesting the Republic Army just relies on Jedi Starfighters for space combat?

As for the Rebel Commando, they should blow up buildings, not capture them, because this is what we see them do in Return of the Jedi.

With the TIE Recon, it does however fall under what i call 'Extrapolated EU'. Basically, this is EU that follows logic, such as the V-19 Clone Fighter. Why i say the TIE Recon falls under this is that the Empire would want a way to find rebel installations without putting their SD's, Bombers etc in danger, hence the TIE Recon. I should also point out that a huge amount of aircraft in the real world, from WW1 to the present day, were converted from Fighters to Recon birds by simply replacing their weapons with photo equipment. If it helps at all, just think of them as standard TIE fighters that dont shoot.

As for the V-19 i didnt say it contradicts anything. Besides, you saying 'it might not have been in service at Geonosis' could just as easily changed to 'the TIE Recon wasnt in service until after Hoth' like the TIE Interceptor.

With the Rebel Commando, i might change that, but then that brings up the question of should buildings be capturable, and if so, how?

...anywhere. An example of course being that Probot's cannot climb cliffs. With my change to the Starfleet Uplink though, if anyone has a better idea, im open to suggestions.

I should also point out that i have updated my template, which is now available at my site. I have added a section explaining the different sorts of blasters, added 'Automated Light Blasters', formations etc.

Also, i've just started work on a template for a Space-based SW RTS, i only started it today, but i've already outlined the different fleets, and now getting onto what each ship does.

BTW what does everyone think of the modified Republic Cruiser below as a unit for the Republic Fleet? I figured they needed a light cruiser, so i modified one of models to suit it. (it's at the bottom of the page)

Republic Cruiser

Well actually Probots in my template are hovercraft rather than flying units, but still it doesnt matter anyway because i've changed it. The Starfleet Uplink now gives access to a TIE Bomber strike instead of the TIE Recon flight. My most recent update also includes

- new experience system for Confederacy

- inclusion of Naboo Coalition civ

- Imperial Uplink gives TIE Bomber strike

- Outpost now Imperial Unique Building

- specified World bonuses for CtG

- new Imperial Mech Commander unit

- Clone Sniper replaced with Clone Ion Grenadier

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, it's working now, maybe Geocities was down before.

This revision is not too bad. I quite like the Naboo's training center.

I can't seem to find any info on the new experience system for the Confederacy, where is this detailed?

I don't particularly like the fact that Vader is strong vs Rebel infantry and Kenobi is strong vs Confederacy infantry. That makes them too powerful against a specific opponent, and not as effective against other opponents.

Archived