Home

Clone Wars = US Civil War

Darth Windu

Yes, i know this probably shouldnt be here, but i dont visit any of the other sections here, so here goes.

If anyone hadnt noticed by now, the Clone Wars in Star Wars is based on the American Civil War. Why do i say this? Because of the following-

1. Physical resemblance between Count Dooku and General Lee

2. Confederacy of Independant Systems, Confederate states

3. Count Dooku used to serve the Republic then helped create the Confederacy, General Lee used to serve the United States then supported the Confederacy

4. There was actually a real-life organisation known as the 'Grand Army of the Republic' (no, i'm not joking). It was an organisation of Honourably discharged Sailors, Soldiers and Marines who served in the Union's forces during the Civil War.

5. General Lee and General Grant served together in the US Army, Count Dooku and Mace Windu are 'old friends'

I'm sure someone could come up with more if they were actually researching this, but i just thought it might be fun to bring it up. :)

Yes, you are right there are many similarities. George Lucas probably did get ideas from the American Civil War as well. I just found out sometihng as well. Possibly Robert E. Lee is a ancestor of Christopher Lee? I'd be a longshot, but they do have similarities. Any thoughts?

I severely doubt the ancestry thing seeing as Christopher Lee is British.

I'd say there are similarities but it is not intended as a strong metaphor. The same as The Battle of Endor was not a strong metaphor for Vietnam, but it shared many similarities.

In particular I don't think your first point is valid, as there were much stronger reasons for casting Lee other than any superficial resemblence to General - especially when that resemblance is only the fact they both have beards. :rolleyes:

I agree with Vostok, although I have to emphasise that Dooku and Bobby Lee both had white beards. But then so does Santa Claus.

I would say that the clone wars were nothing like the ACW except in a very superficial way (it was a civil war and involved the word "confederacy", but it's not that unusual for a civil war involving secession to be have a confederacy as one of the factions is it?). In the clone wars, both sides were being manipulated by Darth Sidious. His only aim was to get into a position of supreme power. There are better (although still not exact) parallells in ancient Rome (eg, Crassus or Julius Caesar).

And again, it's not that unusual for a republic to call its army the "Grand Army of the Republic". All these terms are fairly generic. And in a civil war, it's not unusual for a general to fight against the government he once served.

Maybe we should start a history forum so we can take Windu baiting to a whole new level... ;)

Actually I think one of the reasons Christopher Lee was cast in Star Wars was a s a reference to the casting of Peter Cushing as Grand Moff Tarkin in the original. Cushing was probably the second most famous actor in Star Wars after Alec Guiness at the time it was made. As you may know, Lee and Cushing were the stars of the Hammer Horror film movement that came out of Britain. Lee starred as Count Dracula in nearly all of the Dracula movies, while Cushing starred as Doctor Frankenstein in nearly all the Frankenstein movies. There are even a couple of Dracula movies where Cushing makes an appearance as Van Helsing, while I believe Lee played Frankenstein's Monster in the first Frankenstein movie. Anyhow I think this connection cannot be ignored and would have at least influenced Lee's casting.

At least a lot more so than his resemblence to Robert E Lee.

Archived