Home

New Animations WIP

razorace

I'm starting a new thread to deal with the technical aspects of what new animations we're doing and how we're going to package them.

It looks like we're stuck with downloading the whole humanoid.gla file so I suggest that we have a OJP animations pack on the repository that includes the monster sized animation file and the .xsi or .max source files for the new animations.

About the stuff we are currently working on, based on my ingame work and testing, we need to move the ledge grab animations off the model_root a little more. My theory is that ledge is ~2 feet total (about 21 game units) horizontally off the model_root/player origin. The current vertical offset seems to be prefect. If we set it up correctly, it will look correct at any world angle.

Keshire, N3G1@, or anyone else interested in doing ledge animations, please contact me so I can send you some screenshots of the distance needed.

Secondly, I know Keshire hates messing with finger positions, but to have the best ledge grab animations possible, we need to have the hands/fingers actually grab the ledge. This will complete the look and make the players look like they are holding the ledge instead of nailed to it by their hands. :)

In theory this shouldn't be too hard, just assume that the ledge is a straight 90 degree edge. My code already does checking for those types of angles so it should look correct.

Thanks for working on this guys. This is going to turn out great. :)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

*edit* posted in old thread after being moved

This may have been mention or talked about before, and is merely and idea, i do not know if this would be classified as an animation but it would be extremely useful and alot of people would benefit from it, what i had in mind is a saber holster emote where you attach you saber to your belt would just be stuck to your side) than you could attach it when needed.btw i know nothing about making animations so i do not know if this is possible.

Honestly, you should see what I'm doing, Razorace. I don't hate messing with fingers, so the work is getting really good. I'm still stuck with the stand and the shimmy animation, just because my CPU fried, but now it's ok.

About the ledge animation, Keshire left me the honour of this work :D , so send me the screens whenever you want at my e-mail:

azocarfazio@tiscali.it

Indeed, getting back to the draw animation, The cool one I made is some kind of Mercenary Draw animation, that "flips" the weapon. The bad thing is that it works fine with small weapons. Long weapons use to flip through the shoulder... I guess I have to do a new draw animation...

Originally posted by N3G1@

Honestly, you should see what I'm doing, Razorace. I don't hate messing with fingers, so the work is getting really good. I'm still stuck with the stand and the shimmy animation, just because my CPU fried, but now it's ok.

About the ledge animation, Keshire left me the honour of this work :D , so send me the screens whenever you want at my e-mail:

azocarfazio@tiscali.it

Indeed, getting back to the draw animation, The cool one I made is some kind of Mercenary Draw animation, that "flips" the weapon. The bad thing is that it works fine with small weapons. Long weapons use to flip through the shoulder... I guess I have to do a new draw animation...

Ok, well, the key is that you need to make the offset larger than it is in Keshire's animations. The ledge needs to be assumed to be horizontally off the model_root by about 21 game units (or a little over 2 feet)

I'll send some shots when I have time. Secondly, do you have an IM service? It would really help out if you used that to contact me. Please PM your contact info.

Also I'd like to propse some new stuff.

20044201353864766982369.jpg

A recovery time after jumps. This should eliminate the way poeple use it now.

Also wind-up before jumping too.

A modified force push, that effects multiple people. I'd like to see it only be usable when surrounded.

And I've seen some code where force pull unsticks detpacks and tripmines from a wall. It'd be cool to see that expanded on.

But this does bring up balancing issues towards guns. And I'm sure that can be remedied with some cool new gun moves ripped straight from max payne. :)

After having some trouble with my father's comp and after Lucasforums troubles, I've decided to connect from my personal 56 kb... Let's proceed with order:) :

do you have an IM service?

I guess it's "Instant Messaging". I only use MSN, so I'll PM you the hotmail I use.

D'UH!:eek: For some reason I can't see the pic?!:confused:

A modified force push, that effects multiple people. I'd like to see it only be usable when surrounded.

That would be cool, maybe something like Neo when he's submerged from all the Smiths and he Throws all them away (Matrix: reloaded). A force push with an effect like that would be cool (but probably too much...)

BTW, Razorace. I can't send you anything. Your mail somehow isn't working. I just wanted to say that I have the pic and the XSI animation Keshire send me (the one you coded in the game). I think I'll post a link of a gif for the Ledge animation soon...

Well, my email is working fine. I assume you're using the turbonet one?

Anyway, I think Keshire's doing the ledge stuff again after we didn't hear from you in a while. You'll have to talk to Keshire about what he's doing and what you should work on.

Finally, the boards were down for a couple of days there, it wasn't on your end at least for that.

Yup, it was the turbonet account. No problem. He told me about the merc pullup animation. We have to work on another type. I've fixed the merc-pullup animation I was working on (similar to Keshire's), so today I'll end it. Then I'll compile it as GLA and I'll send you tonight or tomorrow. See how is it, if is it good, and if it's not goof enough just tell me what to fix. Otherwise I'll work on another type of pull-up I remembered right now after the Jedish pull-up. And BTW if you don't here me for a while it always means that I'm busy with only 2 things:

- School

- Animations

:p;)

edited: I assume I have send the GLA to merge to your hotmail account. It's the only one that surely works...

Originally posted by keshire

A recovery time after jumps. This should eliminate the way poeple use it now.

Also wind-up before jumping too.

Hmmm, good place to start for pre/post jump poses/animations.

Originally posted by N3G1@

...tell me where to get that cartoon with anakin...

You can get it here.

Now I'm fixing the Merc pull-up. Next there's the Jedi pull-up. After that I'll do any animation you'll ask me to do, then I'll finish my JtA animations. I'm on my way with them. I've already done:

- stand new

- stand new idle

- briar stand new set (stand, fire, and idle)

- generic weaponry stand new set (stand, fire, idle and draw)

- Saber staff stance new

- Dual saber stance new

- saber fast style stance new

- saber fast KATA attack

- Saber strong style stance new

This is what I've done for JtA. I still have to do at least something like 10 animations for it, but they'll have to wait. OJP first...

What is JtA?

I suggest that you add a small additional wind up swing (to the right) to the Merc pull up. It looks pretty good now but I think it would look more realistic with the additional wind up.

In addition, I think the neck angle needs to be toned down a little bit. right now, the head is basically at a 90 degree angle from the body.

Additional animations that are needed/planned for the ledge grab:

Grabbing onto the ledge

Letting go of the ledge and going into a fall position (intentional)

Letting go of the ledge and going into a fall position (unintentional)

shimmy left/right (fast) - I think we might want to have two stages of shimming, one for small/slow movements and then one for fast shimming.

Force Pull Up - I suggest that at least one of Force Pull Up animations be like the Obi-wan pull up from E1.

EDIT:

Oh yeah, we need to coordinate more here. With your animations in addition to Keshire's, we're going to have two sets of ledge animations. I've already implimented Keshire's animations but I like where you've done with the animations. I think we can get together and tweak the animations so that we can have a uber animation set for ledge moves.

To start, we're going to need a base position from which all the ledge moves will start or end. Right now, based off what looks good ingame, I think Keshire's base position is probably the better of the two at the moment. However, in his the player is looking at the wall instead of looking at the ledge, I think that can be fixed.

I like both of the completed merc pull up animations. I suggest that we tweak them both and then have the game randomly pick between the two.

Anyway, please be sure to post updates to let us know what you're up to.

To go with order:

- JtA is my project: "Joining the Academy", a big set of SP mission with a looong story and (I hope) the biggest set of new animtions ever seen in JK2-JA story. Don't worry. The animations for JtA will wait.

- OK, I'll add 1 more swing to my Merc-pullup, but It'll take a bit to fix the animation. I fear it would be esaier for me to start from the beginning.

- The intentional\ unintentional - letting-go animations are easy to do. I can do them.

- About updates, Just one from me: Right now I've ended the Jedish (or force, as you wish) pull up. I'll compile it and see what I've done... If it's ok in 1 or 2 hrs you'll receive a mail of mine with the GLA file attached!

- About coordinating between Keshire and me I agree, but I only need 1 thing: the stand position Keshire did, otherwise my animations will start from my stand position...

Absolutely no problem. I just have his mail, and I think that it's enough. If Keshire feels like he needs to give me his MSN address he'll give it to me. I'm fixing the Jedi pull-up. You'll receive the GLA file soon.:)

*edit*there is no msn here*edit* As soon as you add me though this message is coming down.

And I'm going to attempt some attack anims from the ledge too.

itheir all going to start from a stomp&grind to the fingers.

one will cause the person to fall the other the hanger will let go with one hand spin around so their facing outward and pull themselves up olympic style and kick the stomper. this wiill make a good alt pull-up.

Rack2.JPG

Rack4.JPG

Rack6.JPG

we'll see how it goes. Arm animation is always just a bit more difficult for me. because I can't use myself as a reference. Medical lesson

luckily all I have is the loss of rotation, hypermobility (yay I was born to type), and enlarged muscles that people say are from other things *wink wink*

Archived