Home

Wth?? (Active X problems)

SeleneRayne

Well, can't say I've heard of this problem before, but I believe Active X is part of the backbone of the internet. Whatever's causing this problem seems to be a pretty serious issue. You might want to check your comp for spy-ware, adware, or viruses.

Spybot Search & Destroy, Ad-aware, and Symantec anti-virus client are one of the best aces in the hole for problems like this.

IIRC, Active X some programming that helps run certain elements of web pages.... but I am hardly the one to know.....

couple of suggestions as to what can help fix it :

Go to your internet properties(right click your internet explorer icon)....

*set all your security settings to default(medium), (if you notice it will say something about activeX controls in the description. Never put this on low !)

*Go the the advanced tab, you'll see a list of check boxes, press "Restore defaults".....

*Check your antivirus program settings(set everything at default is an easy way to go about it)

also,

*have you recently installed any new programs ?

finally, if any of that might not work

*Wait for someone like Siv to get here who knows his stuff :)

mtfbwya

The whole purpose of ActiveX I believe was created for newbies. As some new web pages may have special content, if the person's browser/system settings were not configured correctly to view the site, this caused issues. So, people originally created ActiveX to solve this problem. The people running the server send down a command to your computer to configure it to the site's optimization. This way, your computer would work fine. Well, hackers used it as a way to control people's computers to control what it does. Stupid hackers. Twist everything for their evil propaganda.

Get freeware Spyware Blocker from JavaCools software to block ALL ActiveX connections, thus protecting your computer from possible hackers.

Originally posted by Samuel Dravis

ActiveX controls are more like plugins than anything else - you just stick them in a program or webpage, and you can script them with javascript or vbscript. They're cool.

ActiveX can still get into your computer. Would it still be cool if it gave you so much spyware you've never even thought that someone could get that much? I don't trust ActiveX.

>_>

<_<

>_<

<_>

whatever :p

Really, ActiveX can't do anything without you allowing it to. In IE, with security set to Medium, it shows a popup on signed controls and just ignores unsigned ones entirely. So, your fears are rather strange, and definitely unfounded. ;) Besides, Visual Basic uses ActiveX controls a lot - it makes it much easier to make programs with them. I like them. but as with a lot of things, people can use them for evil marketing schemes or for cool programs that you use, so you shouldn't overgeneralize that all they are is bad, evil etc. :p

Archived