1. 1. What version will you be playing?

• Xbox
    • Xbox Online
    • Pc
    • Pc Online
    • Ps2
    • Ps2 Online

Originally posted by StormHammer

This is supposed to be Star Wars...not platform wars. Let's not start a flame war over people's gaming preferences. ;)

Oh I was only kidding...well, ok, no I wasn't..but I didn't at all intend it as an attack on others preferences, just an embittered expression of my opinion.

It's just that console games are generally dumbed down. I'm particularly bitter since most gamers are console gamers and seeing that trend, PC developers have been dumbing down PC games which have been sliding down that slope over the past few years. If you look at PC games from the late to mid 90s and follow them to to present you can easily see the trend.

So, I consider myself at war with consoles and those that play them are unwitting accomplices to my misery!

Originally posted by GlobalStrike

Pc games don't seem to have been dumbed down as you say they have. They seem alright to me. :jawa :jawa

First question - what games have you played for the PC? Those that have always been dumb or those that have degraded over the years to accomodate arcade syle gamers?

To offer one jewel of an example, I used to love the mechwarrior series. MW2 was very technical and simmulation-like...as the series grew older, it became more and more arcade-like.

Hell, as a side note, I remember when they brought MW2 to the playstation. In order to accomodate console gamers, the ground was littered with "power-ups"...pure blasphemy.

Oh, as a side note, there is no better way to play a FPS than with keyboard and mouse. I hear people say they are just as good with a controller but I would bet my life savings that if 2 people of exactly equal skill played each other, one with a controller, the other with keyboard and mouse, the mouse will win almost every time. Skill aside, using the two sticks to turn and aim on a controller is simply slower than freely looking about with a mouse.

Amen.

They did dumbed down games throughout the years. It's now more arcade then it used to be.

I need to note that if a game lags on the X-Box, it will lag forever. You doN,t get patches and anything. Besides, what makes it so sure that you won't get lag online?

I'm gonna take Halo as another example. As a console shooter, I agree it's perhaps the best there is. However, being a PC shooter player(and having player enough shooters whatsoever), the PC FPS are all around better.

Even when they ported Halo to the PC. It was...nothing compared to the others.

I will be playing mostly playstation 2 offline since I don't have a internet adaptor on my playstation 2 and I will be losing my broadband connection by the end of 2004. Plus my PC is out of date! Probably won't run with a Pentium III 667MHz, 128MB memory, 8MB video card, etc.

Originally posted by lukeiamyourdad

Amen.

They did dumbed down games throughout the years. It's now more arcade then it used to be.

I need to note that if a game lags on the X-Box, it will lag forever. You doN,t get patches and anything. Besides, what makes it so sure that you won't get lag online?

I'm gonna take Halo as another example. As a console shooter, I agree it's perhaps the best there is. However, being a PC shooter player(and having player enough shooters whatsoever), the PC FPS are all around better.

Even when they ported Halo to the PC. It was...nothing compared to the others.

Actually, haha, the whole point of the XBox harddrive was for the ability to HAVE patches and extra content which you can download. Same goes for many other XBox games currently online. However, the PS2 and GameCube ones... well, actually, the PS2 with hte new hard drive will be able to patch up since I seriously doubt Battlefront WON'T use the hd. GameCube remains a mystery.

My preference is the PC Online simply because of the added reflexes of the keyboard and mouse combo. If it were only PS2, Xbox and GameCube then I would have gone with the PS2... simply because I only have a PS2. :D

Archived