Home

Candles

Jedi_Vogel

As the thread name implies, I'm trying to get a candle. One for a start, then I can do likewise wherever else I want one.

1. I've searched (both JO and JA Mapping)

2. I've tried all the flame effects (they're too big)

3. And I know about dynamic light style numbers.

Can anyone help out as to how to make a candle flame (as in a pretty tiny flame) or how to replicate one? I tried making a real small, light with a very small radius, but it didn't seem to do it.

Any guidence would be great, thanks :)

Your best bet is a flare. Make your own flare shader based on the Raven flares (be sure to include the command deformVertexes autosprite) and use an image that looks like a little flame. Check out Eldritch's Hogwarts maps for examples.

In addition you can use:

1.a shader with an animated surface. The animated shaders can support up to eight frames but I think it should be enough to make the flame look real. The disadvantage is that you need the real pictures of flame for it.

2.the flame effect (an efx file), especially that you've found one in the original game. It is really easy to change the efx files and to make the flame smaller. BTW: Have you got CoD?

If it's easy to change the flame size of an existing one, that would be even easier *nods*

Having since CoD and gone *blinkblink* I don't think I have it. lol. What is it and why do I need it? :)

The end result I need it just a smaller flame :) But I'll still need to learn shader editing for later. I have downloaded some tutorials for the time being.

I managed to get pretty far in EffectsEd just by opening default effects, playing around and fiddling with various settings, then using the preview function. But then, that's pretty much how I learned evreything to do with JA editing 'cept Radiant itself, and that doesn't always work for everyone.

I did un-pk3 the effects and images but "none.jpg" isn't even there to un-pk3 lol.

So I can just create none.jpg, to be 1px * 1px and it will be alright, or is it supposed to be something specific?

All things said THANK YOU mslaf, cos the flame is great :D I did have to shrink it but other than that it works a treat :) One question, it doesn't spring from the bottom of the effects entity, but from the middle somewhere, which was fine once I figured out where, but it would be more ideal to spring from the bottom. Which values do I need to change to tweak that? :) Thank you again, MUCH appreciated :D

Originally posted by Jedi_Vogel

I did un-pk3 the effects and images but "none.jpg" isn't even there to un-pk3 lol.

So I can just create none.jpg, to be 1px * 1px and it will be alright, or is it supposed to be something specific?

I doesn't matter, 1x1 should be fine.

Originally posted by Jedi_Vogel

One question, it doesn't spring from the bottom of the effects entity, but from the middle somewhere, which was fine once I figured out where, but it would be more ideal to spring from the bottom. Which values do I need to change to tweak that?

Try to modify the "origin" values inside "origin/size" tab or move down the fx_runner entity.

Originally posted by mslaf

I doesn't matter, 1x1 should be fine.

That's great :)

Originally posted by mslaf

Try to modify the "origin" values inside "origin/size" tab or move down the fx_runner entity.

Ok, will modify the origin values. I HAVE moved down the fx_runner, but in the editor it hides the candle, which is annoying so I'll modify the origin :)

I assume I just have to reduce the origin values yes?

Anyhow, thanks again :)

Archived