Home

Modder Abuse

razorace

Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet

Yes those are good mods. These are people who are making decent mods among the hundreds of people who do "Small fast paced duel levels" and "This is my reborn re-skin..." The majority of the JA community just don't make anything worth dnling.

Well, it could be that many of the good level editors aren't making multiplayer levels at all, but making singleplayer (or Siege, for that matter) levels, eh? Singleplayer (or Siege) levels take far longer than multiplayer levels (except Siege) and often aren't known of until they're released...there may be more things out there than are currently visible...

Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet

Yes those are good mods. These are people who are making decent mods among the hundreds of people who do "Small fast paced duel levels" and "This is my reborn re-skin..." The majority of the JA community just don't make anything worth dnling.

Well, I think that applies to every game community.

Originally posted by Tyler_Durden

That's all true but if you take a look at the showcase forum you'd see that there's about 99% more MP work being done as opposed to SP. Bummer.

Well, I don't know about other singleplayer level editors, but I have only once posted screenshots and info of my level, and that was last year on commandchamber.net. I know Anthony's working on a level, but he hasn't posted anything about it in ages.

I'm afraid i have to agree, but i think they'll just go on to mod for battlegrounds and republic commando when they come out, i will:D . But as far as the community dying altogether, i don't think so.

Nah, first off, you're assuming they won't suck and will have good mod support. Secondly, neither game has playable Jedi, which is the main draw for most people.

True.

I like the example of the JK/MotS community.

From February 1998 until well into March 2002 (with the release of Jedi Outcast), JK1 was the ONLY game that let you play with Jedi online, so it was heavily modded in that period.

People still mod for it, but it's not as big as it was during that period. This and the fact that so many of the Star Wars games released between JK1 and JK2 just weren't that good or lacked editing completely (exceptions being games like XWA, but again those didn't have Jedi).

So yeah, if it's unique, it'll last. Until a "JK4" type game comes along (in other words a product that does most or all of the same things as good or better than the previous game), JK2/JA will live on...

I'm just one editor but I have to admit, I don't see much attraction in making a level that I know will only get downloaded by a few hundred people. That's just me though, some people make levels for their own creative forfillment and that alone, and I can only admire such people. Like you say though, JA will always have its fair share of SW fans playing it until a real sequel comes out.

Gabrobot, its true that some of the best level editors don't even mention projects until they are nearly complete (for JO SP that was true of Colloseum, Lighthouse, Resurgance and Takron-Galtos for starters), thats always nice to know, the idea that you may just get amazing bits of editing seemingly out of nowhere. I am dying to see that level of yours, btw :)

Funny that modders feel harassed by "their fans", lol. Since Darkforces I have never seen a mod in this community that was worth downloading or playing it. There have always been three categories of "big" mods in the JK community.

1. Buggy and unplayable

2. Entirely off topic (Sorry Kurgan, hehe)

3. Announced in a pompous way but never finished

There have been some nice gameplay mods, though.

That's all true but if you take a look at the showcase forum you'd see that there's about 99% more MP work being done as opposed to SP. Bummer.

That's definitely how I feel. MP stuff is fine, but in the end I am using the maps to play bots (or SP NPCs). It is a change, but it is still just playing bots. Apart from a select few, I found very few custom maps online when I used to play MP regularly. Now I only download the really good maps, because frankly otherwise I'll never use them.

SP maps just provide such a better gaming experience for me...

Originally posted by Kengo

I'm just one editor but I have to admit, I don't see much attraction in making a level that I know will only get downloaded by a few hundred people. That's just me though, some people make levels for their own creative forfillment and that alone, and I can only admire such people. Like you say though, JA will always have its fair share of SW fans playing it until a real sequel comes out.

But you are a great editor ;)

I have nothing to base this on, but I think that some SP levels would garner a lot more downloads that the current MP stuff...

Originally posted by Kengo

Gabrobot, its true that some of the best level editors don't even mention projects until they are nearly complete (for JO SP that was true of Colloseum, Lighthouse, Resurgance and Takron-Galtos for starters), thats always nice to know, the idea that you may just get amazing bits of editing seemingly out of nowhere. I am dying to see that level of yours, btw

This is so true. There have been several time on pcgamemods where I have said, "where the hell did this come from?" Every now and then something amazing comes out that I have no idea was in development. That always gives me hope for the future :)

Its dead; its been dead for a long time.

It died on 09-17-2003. With the fall of JO.

We just never noticed and got used to the Evil MP Admin mods like JA+ v2.0 (which for full discloser I must say I use on my server).

I will still try to map and I will still try to mod, but I assum mine will be of the 3rd type of "big mod".

Archived