Home

Trying Not to be Discouraged...

Jedi_Vogel

KOTORMJAY applied to Raven? With that piece of crap flight school in his portfolio? :rolleyes:

Vogel, glad to help! I hate to see new mappers feel turned away by thte community or discouraged in any way. Constructive criticism can be hard to take, but ti's always for the best. Can't wait to see what you come up with!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by lauser

Roxstar, in rgoers case I think Raven may have offered him a job I don't know. But in KOTOR Mr. Jays case I think he applied to RAVEN, which you could do also. ;)

Psh, the Quake III Arena Engine is ancient. I've got an idea for an awesome engine. It mostly involves realistic character design. You basically would just model that character and then model different skins to be applied to the body which would actually give the model depth and not just the "painted on" look of a lot of skins today. But there I go again rambling on.

I want to see this so-called Raven Submission Page!

Okay first off.....you seem to be hinting that you have extensive knowledge of game engines. If that's the case why are you posting here? If you know so much you should be providing all the answers...NO?

Secondly...RAVEN submission page? Not that I'm aware of. You want to apply for a position at RAVEN? .....go here:

RAVENSOFT

Look in the CONTACT area.

Originally posted by wedge2211

Vogel, glad to help! I hate to see new mappers feel turned away by thte community or discouraged in any way. Constructive criticism can be hard to take, but ti's always for the best. Can't wait to see what you come up with!

Thanks Wedge :), though you'll have to wait til September in the earliest for even a pre-Beta lol. I'm working on architecture at the moment. I spent an hour or so the other night redoing a level in JO, just taking screenies in an attempt to improve my architecture...it's an interesting experience lol

Originally posted by Jedi_Vogel

just taking screenies in an attempt to improve my architecture...it's an interesting experience lol

Don't forget the power of google. For example, you can take your influences from the same places that George Lucas and his concept designers did - E.G. for tatooine, they went for an arabic / islamic theme, so do a search for "islamic architecure". If you're doing Yavin, try "incan temple" or "aztec ziggurat" etc. Coruscant you can look at pics for "new york art deco" etc

This will add a little bit of authenticity to your architecture and thus make it better.

Originally posted by lauser

Okay first off.....you seem to be hinting that you have extensive knowledge of game engines. If that's the case why are you posting here? If you know so much you should be providing all the answers...NO?

I don't really have extensive knowledge its just that the Quake III Engine has ben around for almost 5 years and, Rgoer is working on Quake IV so it seems that the engine is going to be histroy in a few years. Secondly, I know absolutely nothing about the Quake III Engine exdept what I've learned in the past year at these forums. I've learned that it is fairly easy to mod these engines but that it is almost an art and requiers practice.

Sometimes a useful exercise is to look at a real object or building and think about how to build it with brushes. Just to get a sense of how to build "real"-looking things in Radiant.

Ha ha - I find myself doing this all the time - "how could I setup a reflective shader for those windows?" "wow! look at those drainpipes"

If you've got a digital camera, it can be very useful to go round your nearest built up area and take loads of photos. You can get a lot of idea's this way and also a lot of textures.

As an exercise to build up your architecture skills, try taking photo's of a nearby building and modelling it in radiant. Once you've got it fairly accurate, you should have learned all the necessary skills.

Sometimes a useful exercise is to look at a real object or building and think about how to build it with brushes. Just to get a sense of how to build "real"-looking things in Radiant.

Hmm, funny how I've just recently got a digital camera. You guys are great for giving me ideas :D Means my first map'll be even longer coming, but at least it'll be better *nodnod* :D

Is it a good idea to mostly make that map and then change it all putting in the good and detailed architecture afterwards? I have started to do this with my current map so that i get a 'feel' for the map before i make the finalish design for the map. In other maps i have made a small map before hand with a few corridors and a room or two to develop the architecture. I was just wondering which you though was the best.

well im pretty bad at level design myself (check out a few inches south of here :p )

its not the doing stuff i have a problem with its just the level design that i suck at with is kinfa hard to remedy

i remember once when i was knee deep in radient one time i was in mcdonalds and i was looking at these neon sign and though "thats a pretty complex curve with a glow shader" and then the floor "its shiny but not realy reflective shiny" and at the chairs and tables and stuff and i didnt even realise i was doing it

Yeah, mapping sure puts archetecture in a new perspective. It gets scarry sometimes when I wonder how I would have made something infront of me in radient. I dread to see the day when I start to see how many portals a real room would generate.:D

Originally posted by zag

well im pretty bad at level design myself (check out a few inches south of here :p )

its not the doing stuff i have a problem with its just the level design that i suck at with is kinfa hard to remedy

i remember once when i was knee deep in radient one time i was in mcdonalds and i was looking at these neon sign and though "thats a pretty complex curve with a glow shader" and then the floor "its shiny but not realy reflective shiny" and at the chairs and tables and stuff and i didnt even realise i was doing it

I have to admit Zag...I have found myself in the same boat many times. But for me it has been tree models and skies. Yesterday it was..... "Wow, look at those storm clouds and how the light beams from the sun after a good shower cast cool shadows on the hills."

How do I design maps? What is it that I take into consideration?

Most of the time I start off with the simple part and build from there. I have an idea of an area. I build a small skybox and start with a large room or maybe terrain. I will say this...when I build rooms I never make them cubed. I used to do that but I find that terribly boring. So I slope the walls inward. I may even cut the room in half and slope the TOP walls inward and the bottom walls inward. Now I have a diamond shaped hallway or room. Like a polyhedron, except it's hollow.

I should actually do a tutorial for detailed objects and rooms and post it somewhere. Stay tuned. :D

Originally posted by Codja X

Well Mr. Vogel, I hope that's enough encouragment:)

:)

Will keep me busy for many months to come methinks ;)

Guess it's not so bad working on perfecting a platform-with-piston for an hour, or several weeks on one room, I will release a map and I will get better.

As they say... practice makes perfect :)

Also, if you want a more "Star Warsy" map then try:

http://www.theforce.net/swtc/

This is the site for the Star Wars technical commentries and will give you everything, from the power of a turbo laser to the amount of Storm Troopers stationed aboard a Star Destroyer. Not that much in the way of helping you map, but it does inspire some inspiration for creating single player adventures.

Have a read through - you'll find it interesting...

Will keep me busy for many months to come methinks

Right, no more encouragment until I see some screenshots!

Get 'em up here son. You've been teasing and tantalising us for a while now and I can't take it anymore.

I'm not expecting a work on par with Michaelangelo, Da Vinci or Mslaf, but I reckon you could surprise a lot of people.

Also, if you post some screenies, you'll be guaranteed a shed load of responses like "you can do this", "that'd look cool", "why don't you have a go at that" etc. You'll get enough ideas to make your map shine.

Don't worry about getting bashed about it - I personally don't post a comment about someone's map unless it's positive and so do most of the people here - the noobs'll go "wow, how'd ya do that" and the veteran's will go "that's good - try this to make it better".

I bet you're better than me already anyway...

I bet you're better than me already anyway...

pah-ha, pah-ha :lol:

:rofl:

pah-ha!

*snicker*

Um, yeah, right :lol:

Give me a bit more time and I'll post some screenies of the rooms I think are worthy of being torn apart :lol: I mean...er...criticized constructively :D

Archived