Home

KOTOR AE: Updates, screenies, and new info

Due to technical difficulties, we haven't beena able to get any new models ingame :( , yet anyways ;) . However in the mean time we have been working on other areas of developement, such as the script, the scripting, and the GUI work, aswell as reskinning. Unfortunately for the past few weeks. Most feedback we have been receiving has been negative. Doubts, insults, ect. ect. I don't mind constructive critism but we haven't received any realy constructive comments recently. I do mind the amount of insults thrown at the team. Please be respectful and do not flame or insult the mod team, a heck of alot of work is being put into this thing.

So now for the new info on the mod: The KOTOR AE mod takes place 5 years after the LS KOTOR ending as that's the only direct followable path, no lame semi continunity, ur revan again, now a jedi knight currently preparing to take on ur first aprentice. However as the storyline unfolds the player becomes immersed within several new worlds and procedes to take the player on an incredible journey through war and strife. There will be several "turning points" throughout the game, not just one big choice too late in the game to make much of a difference.

U meet new characters such as Jedi Master Pascal, and run into some old ones like Pascal's jedi aprentice Yuthura. As one plays through the game one will find themselves amist several conflicts. It is planned to have (for tha main part) a main quest (KOTOR: AE) then the player will go through one of 2 Afterquests which will continue the adventure wherever one leftoff in KOTOR AE, then the end quest, set 1000 years later, The Star Wars, we are trying to think up a better name, but no luck yet

Now for the screen shots, note that those containing the saber featured in some screenshots has no current plans for including in the mod, just had it equiped on them at the time

bastilascreeniepsd.jpgmissionscreeniepsd.jpg

Kathhoundscreeniepsd.jpg

HKscreeniepsd.jpgchemixscreenie.jpg

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Admiral Chemix

Due to technical difficulties, we haven't beena able to get any new models ingame :( , yet anyways ;) . However in the mean time we have been working on other areas of developement, such as the script, the scripting, and the GUI work, aswell as reskinning. Unfortunately for the past few weeks. Most feedback we have been receiving has been negative. Doubts, insults, ect. ect. I don't mind constructive critism but we haven't received any realy constructive comments recently. I do mind the amount of insults thrown at the team. Please be respectful and do not flame or insult the mod team, a heck of alot of work is being put into this thing.

Right to start off, if i've insulted, put your team down, i apoligse.

anyway, those pics look really decent!!! how will this be activated? does it require a warp cheat (not a problem HEHE) or does it continue on from the Star Forge, im sorry if you've explained this in the thread but it me your dealing with so...

... and i was wondering is Mgnails' Galaxy Forge in KotOR: AE?

MattCole. Again if i've insulted, put your team down, i apoligse.

Originally posted by Roman2534

I think it is great someone trying to do this and not sure why anyone would flame then. I am sure a ton of time and work is going into this and it is nice to see someone that puts in work for everyone else to enjoy

they flamed becoz they didn't get any result for a while, eg we heard about it then forgot about it and then we heard i again and was annoyed becoz their were next to no serious results, but that has changed now, they've got results, screenies up so theirs nowt to flame about just apoligise for. MattCole

People were doubting you because you had some unrealistic goals, such as adding a FPS combat mode, which would require you to decompile the game and edit the source code, which I don't even know if its possible. The screens look decent, except for the last guy with the green eyes.

As far as I know, CChargin's importer only works for smaller models like rifles and such. We plan for some rather large models like new areas. I'm glad u guys like the skins. I would appreciate knowing how to make things "glow". And also how to use a TXI file. I've used apearance.2da alot, but not much beyond that.

I would have talked about my character but I didn't want to make myself seem like some selfish jerk. And go on and on about the chemix character.

As for unrealistic goals, we are going to try and get some of them ingame. And that might take quite a while, but with enough support it can be done.

BTW Oerwinde, whats wrong with the chemix skin?

EDIT: Almost forgot, this won't replace the original KOTOR, u'll copy ur kotor folder, take out all the mods from the new folder, then use an installer to install all the files into the new kotorae folder. Well it might be different, we have to see how limited the free install maker programs are out there. It'll have a new desktop icon and a new launcher though.

ONE, when will your mod be completed? (approx. date)

TWO, have you got anymore pics?

THREE, can you please try to make your intallation a bit more easier to understand?

Hope this will take 5 mins of your time for someone else to come and ask questions add comments.

and Oerwinde, in your opinion whats wrong with Admiral Chemix? i belived it to be quiet good.

MattCole

Here's a description of this "mod":

Knights of the Old Republic: Ancient Empires is set 5 years after the fall of the star forge. You play Revan once again except you are a Jedi Knight of the Jedi Order. Bastilla is in your party of course as well as HK-47, Mission, Canderous, Yuthura and a few new party members as well such as Chemix, Jedi Master Pascal Neder, Exar Kun and a powerful Force Spirit. It starts out on Dantooine and the plot carries you through 12 worlds including Coruscant, Hoth, The Leviathan, The Galaxy Forge, The Dark Forge, Rakash, Mannan, Korriban, Dantooine, Kashyyk, Yavin IV, and the Ebon Hawk. . As you play through the game, you get many opportunities to turn to the darkside and redeem yourself back to the lightside. The entire game will consit of 6 main quests at which all of them will have different PC's, storylines and will take place at different times. One for instance, is Sith Lords: The Darkest Age. IN this main quest, you play Ajunta Pall during the time of his corruption some 3000 years before Kotor. You will have an all dark lord party and will also see some characters such as Naga Sadow, Marka Ragnos, and Tulak Horde. But, in the end, all the main quests are tied in together. When yhour PC finishes all of the quests, an uber jedi class called CHOSEN ONE is unlocked. this class gives you pretty much maxed out stats. After you become chosen one, you can play through a main quest called The Star Wars: The Chosen One must Choose. In this quest, the setting takes place 1000years after Kotor. You are a decendant of Revan and Bastilla and fght in a war between civilixations which have constructed their own star forges.

This is what I want to know:

How is a part time, amateur team with no training, with little or no experience in actual game design, planning or development, and with no access to the source code or actual tools, going to make a bigger mod (at least twice the size) with more changes in it than KOTOR 2, and get it out before KOTOR2, compared with Obsidian Entertainment, which has trained and experienced professionals, actual access to the source code and game development tools. So someone tell me what's wrong with this picture?

Grifman

Originally posted by Grifman

This is what I want to know:

How is a part time, amateur team with no training, with little or no experience in actual game design, planning or development, and with no access to the source code or actual tools, going to make a bigger mod (at least twice the size) with more changes in it than KOTOR 2, and get it out before KOTOR2, compared with Obsidian Entertainment, which has trained and experienced professionals, actual access to the source code and game development tools. So someone tell me what's wrong with this picture?

Grifman

they may be an amateur team but they know what they've set out to do and they will see it to the very end, and no offence inteded, but to argue over a team, which your not even involved in for your FIRST POST, is not the best way to make friends, again im sorry if this is too in your face, but i feel it had to be said, again sorry.

MattCole

Originally posted by MattColejk

they may be an amateur team but they know what they've set out to do

Irrelevant. I don't care what they know, only if they are capable of what they claim. I see no evidence, and common sense tells me no.

and they will see it to the very end

And your evidence is?

and no offence inteded, but to argue over a team, which your not even involved in for your FIRST POST, is not the best way to make friends, again im sorry if this is too in your face, but i feel it had to be said, again sorry.

MattCole

No offense taken - I'm not here to make friends :)

But if you are so sure they can do this, then answer the question I posted - how can a bunch of amateurs make a bigger mod in less time than KOTOR2, when they don't have the source code or game development tools, and probably have a smaller team, working part time, compared with a larger fulltime team at Obsidian that has the support of LucasArts and Bioware?

Answer that question and you'll have credibility. If you can't, then how can I take you - or them - seriously? I hope this isn't too in your face either :)

Grifman

Now for the screen shots, note that those containing the saber featured in some screenshots has no current plans for including in the mod, just had it equiped on them at the time

bastilascreeniepsd.jpgmissionscreeniepsd.jpg

Kathhoundscreeniepsd.jpg

HKscreeniepsd.jpgchemixscreenie.jpg

Your Evidence is here, characters and a Kath hound retexure, that is proof that they have gotten some where, and they have posted about it so they will obviasly continue to the very end, if not then they will inform us that they are unable to continue BUT if and when that time comes we shall just have to wait and see

and i believe Mgnails is involed his site: http://www.freewebs.com/mgnails/

I'm not here to make friends :)

why did you join Holowan if not to mod KotOR or have a laugh with new found friends? you didn't join KotOR just to argue and then leave did you?!

I'm not here to make friends :)

But if you are so sure they can do this, then answer the question I posted - how can a bunch of amateurs make a bigger mod in less time than KOTOR2, when they don't have the source code or game development tools, and probably have a smaller team, working part time, compared with a larger fulltime team at Obsidian that has the support of LucasArts and Bioware?

Answer that question and you'll have credibility. If you can't, then how can I take you - or them - seriously? I hope this isn't too in your face either :)

Grifman

becoz they are now more determined to accomlish the task and they will rally the other modders of Holowan to help, they may not have the required tools but they will find a way around this!

I concider EVERYONE here at Holowan a friend but you, you are below the term 'friend'

PS. I concider Holowan to be my second home, and the people in Holowan to be my second Family, i may take this too personally but you are in MY HOME! insulting MY FAMILY! and i've had enough if you wish to settle this then PM me, i dont want to involve anyone else!

A VERY INSULTED MattCole

@ Admiral Chemix

I was wondering about that HK skin,

HKscreeniepsd.jpg

will this ONLY be in KotOR: AE or could you E-mail me the files for the reskin?

Thanx MattCole

Your Evidence is here, characters and a Kath hound retexure, that is proof that they have gotten some where, and they have posted about it so they will obviasly continue to the very end, if not then they will inform us that they are unable to continue BUT if and when that time comes we shall just have to wait and see

and i believe Mgnails is involed his site: http://www.freewebs.com/mgnails/]

Some retextures of existing characters and creatures are equivalent to creating whole new planets, new party members, new quests, separate different player controlled characters, et.? Please, this is getting ridiculous - retexturing existing characters/creatures is something about any modder worth his salt can do - as can be seen on these boards. These images don't prove anything. And a website about a mod doesn't prove anything - I can build a website tomorrow if I wanted to.

why did you join Holowan if not to mod KotOR or have a laugh with new found friends? you didn't join KotOR just to argue and then leave did you?!

I joined to post to what I wanted to - whatever interests me, just like anyone else. As for your last question, I haven't left yet :)

becoz they are now more determined to accomlish the task and they will rally the other modders of Holowan to help, they may not have the required tools but they will find a way around this!

I haven't seen other modders "rallying" to them at all. And I am supposed to believe they will find a way without the tools just because you say so? Puh-lease!

I concider EVERYONE here at Holowan a friend but you, you are below the term 'friend'

Aw, now my feelings are hurt.

Look I am sorry if you are so emotionally wrapped up in this purported mod, but you need to get real. You still haven't answered any of my questions - you just keep saying it will happen. Sorry, that isn't good enough for me.

PS. I concider Holowan to be my second home, and the people in Holowan to be my second Family, i may take this too personally but you are in MY HOME! insulting MY FAMILY! and i've had enough if you wish to settle this then PM me, i dont want to involve anyone else!

Perhaps you should be more insulted that someone comes on here saying they can do the impossible.

A VERY INSULTED MattCole

I'm not clear why you feel insulted. I've not called you or anyone else here a name, or used any insults. All I've done is question whether they can do what they claim. If your "faith" in them can't sustain questioning such as that without being "insulted", perhaps in your heart you really don't believe them either.

Grifman

Have any of these threads about AE ever not ended in a flame war?

Maybe I'm speaking out of turn, but perhaps it would be best for both sides involved if perhaps the AE modders wouldn't keep making topics about their mod until they are sufficiently ahead to the point where they have something to show, other than retextured pics.

I dunno, but it seems every board I post at, they're making threads about all these features and whatnot, but then get a little testy whenever someone asks "what have you done so far?"

Ah well, my 2cents worth

please take ur flames, insults and rudely stated doubts back to the obsidian boards. Don't start a flame war here. That wasn't why I made this thread. I'm not trying to start arguments. I just wanted to show people a little bit of the progress that was being done and give a little more info. We'll try our best to do what we can. And we'll enjoy ourselves working to better the community, hense the purpose of modding, to better the community. However flame wars and arguments merely tear communities apart. I apologize if I caused this argument.

If possible can the thread move back on topic, suggestions and constructive crits, please.

please take ur flames, insults and rudely stated doubts back to the obsidian boards. Don't start a flame war here. That wasn't why I made this thread. I'm not trying to start arguments. I just wanted to show people a little bit of the progress that was being done and give a little more info. We'll try our best to do what we can. And we'll enjoy ourselves working to better the community, hense the purpose of modding, to better the community. However flame wars and arguments merely tear communities apart. I apologize if I caused this argument.

If possible can the thread move back on topic, suggestions and constructive crits, please.

Admiral Chemix, you have a point, and so i must inform you that on my side of the ' Flame War ' has officialy ended, please accept my humble appolgy.

MattCole

I accept the apology, though I was mainly talking to those who were starting this argument. However thats over now, no more arguing, no more insults. Any suggestions? also does anyone have a reply to my previous question? how do I use TXI files, and how do I make things glow

Have a great day holowan

Originally posted by GhostofAnakin

Maybe I'm speaking out of turn, but perhaps it would be best for both sides involved if perhaps the AE modders wouldn't keep making topics about their mod until they are sufficiently ahead to the point where they have something to show, other than retextured pics.

True. In the future, Admiral Chemix, it might be helpful if all the information regarding your mod was posted in one thread. So could you post future updates in here?

Originally posted by GhostofAnakin

I dunno, but it seems every board I post at, they're making threads about all these features and whatnot, but then get a little testy whenever someone asks "what have you done so far?"

Oerwinde and Grifman have valid questions about the mod. The mod as discribed is a massive undertaking. It is made even more difficult by lack of developer tools. Also, mods of this sort traditionaly fail for various reasons. They are asking the modders about these issues and how them plan on handling them. It is now up to them to answer those questions if they wish.

Comments like this are not helpful, MattColejk. Everyone please refrain from making personal attacks. Please make comments about the mod only, and keep those civil as well. This is a warning.

You are taking this a bit too seriously with these comments. Discussion about the mod is welcome.

Indeed this thread will not become a flame war, if I have anything to say about it, and I do. ;) In this thread at least, Oerwinde and Grifman have asked specific questions without calling people names. You can choose to answer their questions or not.

If possible can the thread move back on topic...

Good idea.

Now thats over with. :D I am away from the team for a while so I am working on simple stuff now, scripts, dialogues, a ds plot script and so on. I am not at the right computer so I can't post screenshots. In any case. I agree with everything prime said. Im sure people get tired of just reskins so i am making so 'blueprints' of simple models such as guns and swords so that we can get some of them ingame with cchargins importer for starters. Just so we can get some working model screenshots ingame. And also lets not start a flame war. Even if the instagator is trying to defend the mod teams work, don't do it. It gets tiring to read all of these "I'm angry at you" posts. Lets keep it a friendly community. :D So Chemix right now is the team supervisor till I get back.

I also have alittle bit more info on things. There will be an LS plot and DS plot. You will have 2 chances to go DS or back to LS though you start LS. The first time is in the fair begining of the game and the second is towards the end. If you stay DS or go DS in the end, this triggers the ability for you to conquer worlds. If you go LS, I am thinking of the 'after ending gameplay' to be something like you become a republic factory and eventually become the republic leader and take control of the republic fleet. But a games gotta end sometime, unless you people would rather have it un-ending and just have add on mods to make it longer or something. So the Galaxy Forge is really all this mod is except it has alot more in it and is an entirely new game.

And yes, I don't know how many of you are on obsidian boards but we technically ARE in the planning stage. We are just wrapping up the final script now, which takes forever to write for an RPG. So we will have screenies of new dialogues ingame soon. The dialogues are really just going to be copies of what is said in the script compiled with tk102s editing tools

Archived