Home

Co-Op Gametype Progress

razorace

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is great news! I've noticed that the OJP project has bugfixes for JA? I was wondering if you are going to implement DMS scripting if there was a bug you could fix? I'm not sure if its a bug or a feature Raven decided to turn off, but there are music transitions (atr = Action to Explore transitions, etr= Explore to Action transitions) and the ETR transitions just do not play. I've tested this with the actual JA and the DF mod. I never ever hear an etr play. If you could turn that feature back on it would really help out with our mod should we decide (we're going to decide after our next demo is released) to use the OJP co-op features.

Originally posted by Benevolence

I'm doing the music for the Dark Forces Mod. I was wondering if the music scripting still works or will work(using the DMS.Dat file)?

So, does that mean that you know how the DMS files work? I don't really understand what the varibles mean in the file. If you could explain what they mean, I could replicate the system without as much help from Raven.

Yeah, I figured out how the DMS.dat file works. Why don't you email me and I'll give you all the details so as not to hog the forum with lots of info no one else but you are me really care about (plus I'm exausted from coming home from work right now and don't want to type it all out here in the forum at this moment :-) ).

Just go to http://darkforces.jediknight.net

Click on the .plans and look for one of my updates. My email address is there in a link.

What I was really thinking of is the kind of fun stuff you could do with SP campaigns in MP, running on top of OJP code, rendering the SP .exe redundant. You could have all the nice maps & scripting etc. from SP, and then the customizability of MP. Having no saves would probably be a significant problem with that idea. It's too bad.

Hmm. I just though about having something quite similar to a quicksave option. You can spawn anything at a specified set of coordinates, right? Would it be possible to make a command that saves your position, ammo, health, armor, direction and velocity (to prevent falling exploits)? Then you could just respawn the player there, with the saved info. This wouldn't be a 'real' save, but it would be better than a static checkpoint system, especially on more difficult maps. The only thing wrong with it that I see is that people will be able to eventually wear the enemies down just by attrition, as they wouldn't respawn when you do (unless you stick a lot more info into the save, or have all NPCs spawned by triggers).

hmmm, it's an interesting idea.

I like the idea of being able to manually create a spawn point, since sometimes the checkpoints aren't well placed.

However, I don't think we can "save" the player's health, weapons, etc without totally unbalancing the game for the other players. It wouldn't be fair for the players that don't spam the quicksave.

Well, you might put a restriction on it. Suppose no one is on the server except you (which would be common if you have custom SP campaigns using MP for better implementation). Then you would be able to save everything without fear of it being spammed.

With other players, you're quite right. I hadn't thought of that. A good default would likely be just 100 hp with no armor, or perhaps even less. You're going to have armor and health packs all over the level, and you've got other players to help as well.

hhmmm, an interesting point but I don't think it's much of an issue. Implimenting a full save system would be a huge pain in the ass to do and I don't see that many people caring about it.

There's really no need for it when you just respawn and your enemies stay dead.

You're probably right about not many people using it. Just an idea... how difficult do you think implementing custom respawn points would be though? It doesn't seem like it would be too hard to me. I might try it if you think it would be really easy.

Would it just be stick the coords in a variable, then run them through a spawn function on death? I could probably do it if so...

Just making it possible to add addition spawn points is easy. The checkpoint system already does that.

However, such points would only last as long as the game is on hat map.

The only issue I see is that people might cause problems by trying to spam the "quicksave" ability.

Originally posted by razorace

Just making it possible to add addition spawn points is easy. The checkpoint system already does that.

However, such points would only last as long as the game is on hat map.

The only issue I see is that people might cause problems by trying to spam the "quicksave" ability.

OK. How about making it take longer to respawn based on how fast you died?

So that you don't run off to get yourself killed and then respawn at the same location a second later with full HP - which would be pretty much invulnerability without restriction. I meant to force the player to go into something cautiuously, that way they they can't spam reload if they die.

Here's a scenario:

P1 runs into room full of enemies. He quicksaves before getting hit at all, so he's still at full HP. He gets killed, then respawns at the same point with full HP less than a second later.

You can see that would not be a very good thing.

I'm really Glad you Guys are looking at this. I'm very interested in checking the progress for sure.

I've plaied all of the currently working maps from the CoOp release. And while it's fun and i'm really glad Razor took the time to make it. You can tell the maps are really lacking because they didnt have MP in mind when they were making them. But i can tell that a skilled maper with CoOp in mind could make some kick ass maps to work with OJP. I mean the CoOp mode seems to work flawlessly it's just the map tweeks required to make the game playable dont always fill the gaps.

There are a few places where you can use Force jump to jump over the walls and fininsh a map in 2 min.....Stuff like that.

I'll be checking in to see what you guys decide to do.

@ Obi: Good to see someone checking in on the forum. :)

@ Razor: I guess it would be kind of irrelevant. It just depends on how annoying you want dying to be. I don't think there would be any downside to death like there is when you have to reload in SP and have the enemies at full HP again as well as yourself.

Archived