Home

Anti-aliasing problems

Thrik

After a little playing around, I got Grim Fandango working with anti-aliasing - which smoothes the edges of objects and characters just in case you didn't know.

Anyway, basically it looks great, except Manny is leaving little bits of himself all over the place. It's not so bad in the screenshot below, but it gets really bad at times.

I know the chances are slim, but if anyone can help fix this GeForce 4 ti4200 problem, please do. I've tried changing the vertical sync, anisotropic filtering and mipmapping to no avail. I really am out of ideas.

gfaa.jpg

It depends on the video card, but basically you just want anti-aliasing forced. If you have a GeForce 4 ti4200 or above, you can do it by going to:

Display Properties > Settings > Advanced > GeForce 4 ti4200 (or whatever your card is) > Performance and Quality Settings > Anti-Aliasing Settings

Then untick the box, and drag it to the far right. It looks lovely, but with Manny leaving bits of himself everywhere it gets totally annoying. :(

Hey, thanks, it worked :).

BUT, I got a really wierd error. I did what you said, but when I play, the room around manny just blurs completely. It just gradually starts blurring into swirls of colours where Manny isn't standing. When I walk into a blurred area, a rectangle of where Manny was walking becomes visible, but soon gets blurred in again.

Sorry, it's hard to explain, and i can't post a screenshot now. Oh well, I guess my graphics card isn't compatible ;).

Edit

I changed the amount to 4x instead of 8x, and it is now working perfectly and looking great :)

Eek, not looking good Sallim. :~

James, what card are you running it perfectly on? I'm getting increasingly irritated because this problem just seems to get worse if I change settings.

Here's an example of it in the garage, where it becomes almost tron-like:

gfaa4.jpg

As a final attempt I switched it to software mode, where I got this interesting result:

gfsoftware.jpg

Serge mentioned that it could be to do with how GF renders anti-aliasing, in that it blows the image right up in size (so it blurs, as you'd expect), and then back down again. The engine however doesn't compensate for these extra blurry areas and forgets to "rub them out" when its refreshing the screen. Or something like that.

Well, it was working perfectly in the first playable bit of Manny's office, but then when I went out of there, there were a few graphical errors. I went through a few different rooms. Some have perfect graphics (as far as I can tell), but some have bad problems (the worst is where his feet leave a dark trail behind them when he walks.

My graphics card is a "nVidia GeForce FX 5700".

I've read reports stating that the GeForce 2 could (maybe still does, I don't know) produce perfect anti-aliasing in GF. The Voodoo 5 was also capable of it.

I asked Serge again, the only explanation he had was..

<Serge> It may be due to Geforce 4 using more advanced antialiasing, maybe randomizing the edge blurring, so that the "paste-over" when deleting doesn't antialias the same as the original model and thus doesn't remove it all.

Weep. :~

The Geforce 2 is the one that does the whole "makes it big and then brings it down thing." The future cards didn't do this. I don't know what's causing your problems with anti-aliasing, the only thing I could recommend is updating your graphics drivers (if you haven't already).

Yar, I was testing it all on the latest drivers from nvidia. Just out of interest, I downgraded to the drivers which were around when my card was released, and the anti-aliasing doesn't work at all. Weep.

It's such a pity, I'd love to play through the game with the anti-aliasing. It looks frickin' beautiful.

Ooh christ, I forgot about this thread.

Anyway, I've been messing around with it some more, and I think I've established that the problem could very easily be driver-related.

When using a set of drivers from around two years ago, the anti-aliasing did work to an extent, but it didn't look as smooth and awesome as it does on the latest ones. However, it didn't leave the dodgy trails behind Manny as he moved around.

I'm thinking that if you get the specific set of drivers which have been tested to work, you'd get perfect anti-aliasing. The problem is finding someone who has done this, and getting them to remember what drivers they had at the time.

One day I'll probably just get a computer specifically for retro gaming and just stick a Voodoo5 on there and stuff. :p

Archived