Home

Concern regarding the number of planets in TSL

Achilles

Ok,

The devs have stated that there will be 7 planets in TSL. Initially, I was estatic about this news, however the other night something occured to me: there were 7 planets in KotOR.

1. Taris

2. Dantooine

3. Kashyyyk

4. Manaan

5. Korriban

6. Tatooine

7. Unknown World

That's not even counting the Leviathan or Yavin IV. With that said, do you think that TSL will be the same length or longer than the KotOR?

definately longer. maybe not as many planets but definately longer missions and side missions. the last thing a new company wants to do is bomb on a game that has so much expectation. this is their big break, they'll try and do it right.

^^^^

I remember reading that Obsidian said the planets were going to be larger than in KOTOR 1, and some of that new size could be explained by having the moons of planets, or even orbiting asteroids or stations be acessable as well, adding in more places without having more worlds on the Galaxy Map.

But that is definately something to worry about especially if they start cutting things!!! :eyeraise:

Originally posted by RedHawke

^^^^

I remember reading that Obsidian said the planets were going to be larger than in KOTOR 1, and some of that new size could be explained by having the moons of planets, or even orbiting asteroids or stations be acessable as well, adding in more places without having more worlds on the Galaxy Map.

But that is definately something to worry about especially if they start cutting things!!! :eyeraise:

You mean like the LucasArts layoffs?

I wouldn't worry about the layoffs at Lucasarts effecting the length of the KOTOR2. The game itself is done by Obisidian not Lucasarts.

In the video interview from E3, Mike Gallo said that the game was done and had now reached the point of 'polishing', which I understand to mean adding music, voice acting and testing.

As for the planets I was reassured somewhat by this interview:

RPG Vault Interview

Specifically:

In terms of the actual exploration of the universe, there's about six or seven planets, but that's kind of an unfair categorization, since many planets have sub-locations that aren't really the planets themselves.

and

The areas are larger than many locations in the first game (thank our programmers for pushing the engine to allow for more ambient effects and more polys), so you should hit fewer load level points than in the first game.

So... there are going to be seven planets again, but each of them are going to have sub areas like little mini worlds unto themselves (Moons/Orbiting Platforms/Asteroid Stations/etc.)... I guess that sounds pretty cool, with prestiege classes they better be pretty populated with bad guys! :D

So... there are going to be seven planets again, but each of them are going to have sub areas like little mini worlds unto themselves (Moons/Orbiting Platforms/Asteroid Stations/etc.)... I guess that sounds pretty cool, with prestiege classes they better be pretty populated with bad guys! :D

I hope that not too many of the baddies are rabid animals again. I got pretty tired of fighting Kath Hounds on Dantooine. All that work and no items in return.

Originally posted by Achillies

I hope that not too many of the baddies are rabid animals again. I got pretty tired of fighting Kath Hounds on Dantooine. All that work and no items in return.

That is the exact reason I used the term "bad guys"... I want to play a Star Wars game... :eyeraise:

If all I wanted was a simple bug hunt there is always Alien vs. Predator!

I know there will be some wildlife in TSL... I also hope they keep it very limited. :D

I know there will be some wildlife in TSL... I also hope they keep it very limited. :D

or at least more useful. The Tach gland hunt was cool because I knew that I was going to get paid (btw, not so much with the guilt and the tach glands. I'm convinced that Bioware only created the Selkath because they didn't want to the tachs to be the MOST annoying creatures in the game).

Hunting down creatures will be cool if I can get medpac chemicals or lightsaber crystals from them. Killing stuff just to do it isn't much fun....unless you're DS.

^^^^

Agreed! :D

I'm convinced that Bioware only created the Selkath because they didn't want to the tachs to be the MOST annoying creatures in the game.

RLMFAO!!! :rofl:

Hunting down creatures will be cool if I can get medpac chemicals or lightsaber crystals from them.

Thats a cool idea, especially the crystals part, that would give a PC incentive to farm an area for more potential items, and that extra bit of randomness is great for replayability.

Thats a cool idea, especially the crystals part, that would give a PC incentive to farm an area for more potential items, and that extra bit of randomness is great for replayability.

I was thinking something ala Krayt Dragon (Pearl) or the Scared Beast on Kashyyyk. Anything is better than wasting medpacs on module after module of Kath Hounds.

I was thinking something ala Krayt Dragon (Pearl) or the Scared Beast on Kashyyyk. Anything is better than wasting medpacs on module after module of Kath Hounds.

I absolutely agree! But what I meant is having randomized item drops from certain beasts, like you said with sabercrystals, organic components, etc. so that it wouldn't be wasting medpacks it would be killing the beasts for a type of reward that way.

I'll use the Dantooine example... if the Kath Hounds had a roughly 20% chance to drop a minor power saber crystal, a 10% chance to drop a medium power saber crystal, and a 40-60% chance to drop an organic sell-for-credit item like the wraid plate on Tatooine, this would have given some incentive to farming all of the Kath Hounds out on Dantooine.

I absolutely agree! But what I meant is having randomized item drops from certain beasts, like you said with sabercrystals, organic components, etc. so that it wouldn't be wasting medpacks it would be killing the beasts for a type of reward that way.

I'll use the Dantooine example... if the Kath Hounds had a roughly 20% chance to drop a minor power saber crystal, a 10% chance to drop a medium power saber crystal, and a 40-60% chance to drop an organic sell-for-credit item like the wraid plate on Tatooine, this would have given some incentive to farming all of the Kath Hounds out on Dantooine.

I think we're saying the same thing, except I don't think we should find Nextor crystals in Gizka. I know that I'm the one that originally used it as an example, but I didn't think it through.

I think we're saying the same thing, except I don't think we should find Nextor crystals in Gizka. I know that I'm the one that originally used it as an example, but I didn't think it through.

I think so... maybe saber crystals was a bad example... :eyes8:

But creatures dropping anything that could possibly net us a few credits, or be useful in other ways, would be better than nothing! :D

Archived