Home

Was Qui-Gon just a pawn in Palpatine's scheme?

adillon

• 3 weeks later...
Originally posted by adillon

hmmm, so then by that rationale how could palpatine plan to do certain things if those series of events were already unravelling? if he was able to forsee a certain event, something that was destined to happen, how could anything he do possible change its outcome?

always in motion, the future is.

i like the theory, but I suspect that he did not influence dooku that early. however, I suspect that he had already teamed up with Dooku before Maul was dead, and that is why he sent Maul to be killed by Obi/Qui.

Originally posted by Shok_Tinoktin

always in motion, the future is.

i like the theory, but I suspect that he did not influence dooku that early. however, I suspect that he had already teamed up with Dooku before Maul was dead, and that is why he sent Maul to be killed by Obi/Qui.

i will agree with the first and last statements, but i believe palpatine would have influenced dooku from very early on

The problem with thinking that Dooku had the idea to influence Qui-Gon into finding Anakin and bringing him to be trained, because of Palpatine is fundamentally flawed. If Palpatine had forseen all this, then why bother to set it all up like this? He could have just picked up Anakin when he was just a wee tot, and raise him as a Sith in private. He would grow up to know nothing else, and would not have turned on the Emperor in the end.

Originally posted by Shok_Tinoktin

If Palpatine had forseen all this, then why bother to set it all up like this? He could have just picked up Anakin when he was just a wee tot, and raise him as a Sith in private. He would grow up to know nothing else, and would not have turned on the Emperor in the end.

but then anakin wouldn't have become a padawan, wouldn't have struggled with his master, and wouldn't have grown a highly-influenced hatred for the jedi order. it's his turn to the darkside that fuels the jedi purge ... growing up sith might not have given anakin this extra bit of impetus, with a hatred for the 'good guys' that wasn't experienced first-hand.

also, as we've seen in EP2, palpatine had the ability to play both sides of the war, and dooku was knowledgeable of this as well. he was more than able to influence his apprentice(s) and the jedi (to a degree) in order for his plan to come to fruition.

but does sidious know that anakin is the "chosen one"? cause if he knew that anakin would bring balance to the force, why didn't he just kill him? I think that sidious just saw anakin as a powerful ally and nabbed him :)

...or something like that...

Originally posted by adillon

but then anakin wouldn't have become a padawan, wouldn't have struggled with his master, and wouldn't have grown a highly-influenced hatred for the jedi order. it's his turn to the darkside that fuels the jedi purge ... growing up sith might not have given anakin this extra bit of impetus, with a hatred for the 'good guys' that wasn't experienced first-hand.

also, as we've seen in EP2, palpatine had the ability to play both sides of the war, and dooku was knowledgeable of this as well. he was more than able to influence his apprentice(s) and the jedi (to a degree) in order for his plan to come to fruition.

good point, but the only inherent problem i see is that anakin probably would have purged the jedi of palpatines will, simply because palpatine was his master

maybe he was a loose cannon, and he would have rushed Palp's plans. I suspect he was already working with Dooku and was afraid they could overpower him together (one master one apprentice). Maybe (as the EU suggests) he didn't like aliens (get this stunted slime out of my sight). There could be dozens of reasons.

Originally posted by rcsquirrel900

maybe qui-gon would have done a better job...

ahh, now we go back to the root of this thread ... was qui-gon merely another pawn in palpatine's game to rule the galaxy? sure he was a loose cannon - he questioned the council's authority on numerous occassions (namely training anakin even though the council felt he was too old).

and i DO agree with you, rcsquirrel900 ... i think either way anakin would have purged the jedi. i feel that anakin became a stronger sith because of the fact that palpy got into his head, and made him see (a twisted version) of what the jedi were doing, allowing him to grow to hate the order. i feel that a personally experienced hatred for something/someone is much more powerful than a hatred because you are told to do so.

This is just my guess, nothing I know about the next movie. he needs Dooku as the final test of Anakins turn toward the dark side, by his forcefully replacing Dooku. If Anakin were to die in the arena, then Palpatine did not want him anyway. he also needs obi wan as the one that Anakin rebells against. as for Maul, he took him as an apprentice for the same reason that he worked with Nute Gunray, he was usefull, but to be eventually disposed of. The problem of a personal hatred, is that it is nearly impossible to completely remove the positive emotions involved, and this is what eventually led to his demise. The emperor new that Luke and Vader could not both live, or they would be a threat to him (because they have a closer bond to each other than him), so I am sure that Palpatine new the danger of such an attachment, and that knowing only hatred of Jedi was powerful enough (more powerful IMO) to fulfill his use.

i like that thinking, shok ... especially this one line

he was usefull, but to be eventually disposed of

which i believe can relate to just about anyone palpatine was directly associated with ... everything and everyone just as long as he gained ultimate and unchallenged power.

Well, my theory is that the Force meant for things to happen because whether or not we try to control it, is ultimately controls us to where it can make things happen to balance itself out. Why else would it have created Anakin skywalker when there was no father figure? Why else would it have been on tattooine, where Qui-gon and Obi-wan would end up. It was all destiny to where not even Palpatine could control the outcome because he was never in control of the Force, only made to believe he was so that the Force could run its own path.

Originally posted by Andy867

Well, my theory is that the Force meant for things to happen because whether or not we try to control it, is ultimately controls us to where it can make things happen to balance itself out. Why else would it have created Anakin skywalker when there was no father figure? Why else would it have been on tattooine, where Qui-gon and Obi-wan would end up. It was all destiny to where not even Palpatine could control the outcome because he was never in control of the Force, only made to believe he was so that the Force could run its own path.

i will agree with you for the most part, but i do think that the Force allows some room for choice. It allows each Jedi or Sith to choose how to allocate the force and what to do with their lives. So i think it is safe to say that Palpatine was in control of the force to some degree, just so long as the force saw balance at some point, which is all i think the force cares about.

Why else would jedi be worried about going to the dark side, unless they had a choice. Because, according to your theory, the Force would ultimately decide If a force-user will be light or darlk, in which case, those force-users wouldn't have to be held accountable for how they use the force if the force controls them, not vica-versa.

The force obeys our commands when it sees that it is fulfilling the its own agenda... Why else would the Force not allow the light-side to see what the dark-side was up to (being with Palpatine and Dooku planning the Clone War)? It was wanting to play out its plan by the best way that it saw to be with the ultimate outcome: Balance in the Force.

Sure there may be flaws in my theory but I think it would best explain some things that otherwise remain a mystery.

Archived