Home

16 Bit MS-DOS Subsystem crash in SP (JA) -still need help!

Kurgan

Dunno why, but lately I've had the JA SP campaign crash for me quite a bit.

Basically I'll be playing along fine (with my full, 100% legal, non-cracked, officially patched to 1.01, original disc 1 in the drive at all times, etc copy of JA) and then all of a sudden the game will freeze up and an error box will popup.

It will be drwtsn.exe (Dr. Watson app) and tell me that 16 Bit MS-DOS subsystem error and I can close or ignore. Neither works, and I am forced to shut down JA.

The only "solution" seems to be to save often, and use regular saves, because when the crash happens it corrupts the most recent quicksave, so it will crash EVERY TIME I load that one.

I tried updating DirectX (was 9.0b, now it's 9.0c) and updated the latest Catalyst Drivers, but I still am getting the error after playing SP for awhile.

I ran the System Analyzer program that came with JA and all tests passed with flying colors. Including all the DX diagnostic tests... Scanned my pc with updated AVG and haven't found any viruses either. So I'm at a loss why this is occuring.

Very annoying.

Here are my specs:

Windows 2000 Professional (with Service Pack 4 and all the required windows updates)

256 mb ram (pc133 sdram)

ATI All-in-wonder 9600 (128 mb ddr video card)

Soundblaster Live!

26 gigs free (120 gig hard drive)

Also, perhaps unrelated, but I noticed this in the console log text: "Ancient Version of DirectX, may slow fps"

Not sure what that means, 'cause I have the latest version of DX installed and have never had below 9.0 installed on this format/windows install.

I haven't tried MP extensively lately, but hopefully the error doesn't occur there as well.

And just in case anyone is wondering, no I don't have Dynamic Glow or Force Feedback turned on. LucasArts's website wasn't too helpful for me.. : P

PS: If anyone is curious, I'm playing Korriban on the "Dark Path."

i remember seeing that error message, it has something to do with corrupted registries.

yes, i found it on http://www.microsoft.com

this is for win XP but should still apply...

ERROR

16 Bit MS-DOS subsystem

CAUSE

This behavior can occur if the following registry value is corrupted:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\VirtualDeviceDrivers\VDD

This behavior can occur after you install a 16-bit program or a program that uses a 16-bit installation program that is not Windows XP-compliant. This behavior can also occur if the Command.com file that is installed on your computer is damaged or is the incorrect version.

RESOLUTION

To resolve this issue:

Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe or Regedit.exe).

NOTE: In Windows XP, Regedit.exe and Regedt32.exe have been integrated into a single program that combines the features of the two registry editors in Windows 2000.

Locate and select the following value:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\VirtualDeviceDrivers\VDD

On the Edit menu, click Delete.

On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click Multi-string Value.

Type VDD in the Value Name box, and then press ENTER.

Quit Registry Editor.

hope that helps.

I found the modified instructions for Win2k:

2328 » Windows 2000 Virtual Device Driver error in 16-bit MS-DOS subsystem?

If you receive:

16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem

drive:\program path

XXXX. An installable Virtual Device Driver failed DLL initialization. Choose 'Close' to terminate the

application.

OR

16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem

drive:\program path

SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\VirtualDeviceDrivers. VDD. Virtual Device Driver format in the registry

is invalid. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.

you have a corrupted registry value at:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\VirtualDeviceDrivers\VDD.

NOTE: You probably installed a 16-bit program that is not Windows 2000 compliant.

To fix the problem:

1. Using Regedit.exe, Delete the VDD value name.

2. Using Regedt32.exe, On the Edit menu, Add Value name VDD as a REG_MULTI_SZ data type. Don't enter any data in the Multi-String Editor. Press OK and exit Regedt32.

But I still get "invalid instruction" errors with the 16 Bit MS-DOS Subsystem in JA, forcing me to close the program.

Hmm....

Is there a way to restore my command.com file to what it was when I installed?

Bah this is annoying.. seems all my saved games are crashing now.

I notice I get a big lag when I switch weapons or see several enemies on screen at once. I don't get the error anymore, just the game crashes (the same way as before). I then have to close it with task manager.

Do I suddenly need more ram to play this game? What gives?

Crap. I haven't EVER reinstalled Win2k before. Do I risk losing my data? 'Cause with Win98se you could reinstall over the top and it was no problem.

I tried reinstall service pack 4 and that didn't seem to make a difference. Reinstalling JA and the patch didn't fix it either.

Thanks for the help...

Update:

I popped in my Win2kpro cd just to see, and there is no "repair" option. There is "add/remove components" and then "install windows 2000 (clean install)" or "upgrade windows 2000 (keep your old programs)".

Which one should I choose to just to "repair"?

Btw, I tried Registry Mechanic (a registry cleaner) on the advice of someone and used it to fix all my registry errors. Yet I still get the crash in JA.

I can't see what error it's giving me this time, but it's Dr. Watson again with something and I have to control+alt+delete to task manager and shutdown the program.

I am going to get one of those JA minimizers and see if I can read the error box next time.

It seems that I'll be playing korriban2 fine until I do a big Force Jump over this one canyon, then the game locks up and crashes.

if you have the Windows 2000 CD in the drive when you turn the computer on you should get a message after the POST (which is the memory check and device listing) saying 'press any key to boot from the CD' it always makes me think of homer simspon saying "where's the 'any' key?!" lol, anyway. once you press a key the cd will run and you just follow the on-screen instructions until you get a screen that says something like... a previous installation of windows was detected press R to repair. thats what you should do.

if you don't get 'press any key to boot from CD' when you turn the computer on then you'll have to go into the BIOS and change the boot seek so the CR-ROM is listed. it sounds complex but it really isn't.

Okay, I could try booting directly from the CD. The only thing I'm wondering is that (I have never done a "repair" before) will I lose all my data? Maybe I should do a full system backup first.

If it's just going to re-set my Win2k defaults that's no big deal, but a "full system restore" doesn't sound good.

So...?

PS: I have been trying a few other games to be sure it's JA that's doing this.

Update: I'm thinking this must be JA that's going wrong. I tried the MOHAA SP Demo, RTCW Demo, Q3TA Demo and all of them I could play at max detail from start to finish, save/reload it didn't matter, they never crashed.

Well, after spending way too much time on this, I gave up. I wasn't going to reinstall windows or do a full backup & reformat just for this one thing!

Basically I uninstalled, then reinstalled JA into a new directory, clean, with no mods, nothing. Still crashed.

So instead of using my old saves, I just used cheats to skip ahead to the spot where I was more or less and just picked up from there. Went flawlessly!

So I was able to beat the game, and have fun. I guess somehow the game got corrupted and on that level it would just crash after a certain amount of time no matter what you did. And if you saved it, that save would have the same corruptions. I don't know why.

Now it seems fine.

This reminds me of the time when I couldn't get dismemberment to work in JA. I tried for months without success to get it working. Now it works perfectly. But this is after a reformat and a different version of windows. So go figure... ; P

Which catalyst drivers did you get kurg? 4.8 or 4.9? If its beta then it could be the problem. I got cataylst 4.9 offical few days ago and hardly drops a frame on my 9600XT 256MB with maxed details and 16x AF.

You can also try getting the Omega drivers, they pwn.

Btw, i see you got your new card! Is it the all in wonder 9600 Pro or XT?

Archived