Home

maping tool

maxloef

Remember that DICE never released an SDK for Battlefield 1942.

Very few companies developers/publishers ever release an SDK.

The BF1942 community built all their initial tools for modding the game with little or no help from DICE. Essentialy that means we need really talented programmers willing to study the file structures and build utilities to unpack the assets. I would hope that LA doesn't mind end users doing this. The success of BF1942 was largely based on its modability.

My reservation at the moment is that there are so few sites/forums dedicated to editing/modding Battlefront. I would imagine there is some serious talent out there trying already.

richcz3

Originally posted by Skellington

LEC released the SDK for JA and JO though....maybe there is hope.

That's very true Skel but since this is a MP exclusive game it's a totally different situation as opposed to the JA MP which was only half of the game. The SDK for this game would comprise the enitre game not just half as it is all built from the same code.

Jedi Acedemy and Jedi Outkast were built on the Quake 3 engine.

There are many existing modeling tools and community built editors supporting the engine used in those games. The SDK is icing on the cake.

The Battlefront engine is Pandemics brand new engine. I am no programmer but I understand there are allot of issues Pros and Cons for the developer/publisher releasing an SDK so early on.

If the game needs a series of patches, this could effect the final release of the SDK. The companies may also consider Expansion packs if the game does well. Providing an SDK early on could be self defeating.

DICE continued to produce Expansion packs while allowing the community to build MOD tools to create their own game types. I expect that when BF1942 has run its course financialy for both DICE and EA, they will release the SDK.

richcz3

Archived