Home

Orthopedic Surgery

Boba Rhett

Hello my swampmates. :) Pretty weird request but here it goes. ;)I have some questions about orthopedic surgery and was hoping there was someone here who has delt with it, knows something about it or at least knows where I can find info on it. I've googled a lot but most places seem to just spit up the same info and not much of it.

I'd like to know what kind of costs are involved with the excision of bone. I've heard such surgeries are among the highest. Is this true? Does anyone know some good places where I could find info on osteochondroma? I'd really like to know what kind of post-op recovery time there is in the removal of one. My thanks and eight free elves goes to anyone who can help. :rhett:

well rhettski. I am a physical therapist by day :D I have spent many years in a rehab hospital treating ppl after orthopaedic surgery.

as far as costs go, you being in the US, I couldn treally say. We have a public health system here thats pretty good, as long as you can wait a little while for elective surgery. I can imagine it wouldnt be cheap tho :(

the best person to speak to however, isnt the predominate teens that fill the swamp, but an orthopaedic surgeon. Your GP should be able to recommend some good ones in your area.

here's some good general info.

http://www.emedicine.com/orthoped/topic528.htm

how big is your lesion...... my cousin had a largish one below his wrist, and many jokes were made about how he got it, but I wont do that here of course :D

as far as post op recovery, its not too bad. Some good painkillers initially, and some time off for healing. It all really depends on what you do for work that will alter if you can return to work. My cousin is a plumber so he wasnt able to get back to what he was doing for about 4 weeks IIRC....

good luck !

mtfbwya

I think mine is rather large and is located on the "top" part of my femur, about 2-3 inches away frommy knee. What I mean by "top" is that when I sit down, it's on my lap. It's quite big, It's poked through all my muscle and is a visible bump on my leg. Let me try and make a sketch from a ~5 year old xray I have of it. I imaine it's gotten a little bigger since then.

chond.gif

I'm tired of it hurting and I'm REALLY tired of the limp I have when it's hurting. Do you think I'd have to be in a wheelchair at all or chould I use crutches right away?

hmm, it being on your femur wont help cost wise :(

but yes, if it is interfering with your walking and is painful you should get it removed as soon as practicable... interesting that you havent done it earlier(considering you have XRs from 5 years ago...)

as far as the wheelchair thing goes, no. You will however be placed on some kind of restrictions, like only walking short distances, or 'weight bearing as tolerated' on the affected side etc. This is for when you are in crutches (I recommend a nice set of forearm crutches rather than those ones that dig into your armpits - make sure they dont give you those !) For a procedure like that you'd only need a wheelchair say if you were going to be out and about for hours and on your feet....(which you should probably avoid if you are recuperating from surgery !)

so yeah, just stick to the guidelines they give you, you may also need to do some physical therapy to keep your leg muscles nice and strong and you'll be fine in a few weeks time ... :D

mtfbwya

Yeah, I've had it for about nine years now. :( I've waited to look into this for so long because I read that you should usually wait until you're pretty much done growing before you deal with it. I dunno if that was silly or what.

I think it's done most of the tearing that it's going to do. (A lot) The first two years I had it were ROUGH. >_> Nobody believed my either. :D

It's great to hear that I won't need a wheelchair. I was really worried. Thanks for all the advice, Astrotoy! :)

Originally posted by Boba Rhett

Yeah, I've had it for about nine years now. :( I've waited to look into this for so long because I read that you should usually wait until you're pretty much done growing before you deal with it. I dunno if that was silly or what.

I think it's done most of the tearing that it's going to do. (A lot) The first two years I had it were ROUGH. >_> Nobody believed my either. :D

It's great to hear that I won't need a wheelchair. I was really worried. Thanks for all the advice, Astrotoy! :)

I'd rather be in a wheelchair then crutches. Those things rule. I'd run people over with my wheels of doom. :D

Originally posted by IG-64

And does astro get 8 free elves? :p

Of course, and they are SATANIC elves..... I have trained them in the evil arts and dispatched them to hunt you down in Texas. When they have you, they will take you to the nearest strip club or whorehouse, and make a man of you ! :D

mtfbwya

Archived