Home

Useless stuff about me

Acrylic

Originally posted by wildjedi

TOBYMAC is rap... not bad, if you ask me. Some of it's really entertaining because he has his little kid do some.

Ever heard of Switchfoot? Their stuff is sold in Christian bookstores... do you like them? I guess it's not all Christian music that's bad... though I'll agree that some just don't cut it.

I used to shop the Christian book stores alot, then again, there was a time when I was one of the "good kids", not sure where I got corrupted. I found this really cool place in Wheaton, IL called "True Tunes ETC." They sold nothing but Christain tapes, records and CDs, and often they would sell underground stuff before it was even on the market, and they totally ran the place like any typical "indie" record shop. It was THERE where I discovered Vengeance Rising, Believer, Mortal, The Crucified, Painted Orange, Deitiphobia, Deliverance, Tourniquet, Scattered Few, Circle of Dust, and Crashdog.

Now DC Talk, as I remember started off as a really BAD Christian rap group. They came out on stage at Cornerstone '93, dressed up like Run DMC with crosses hanging from they're necks, and they sounded even worse live, than they did on the radio. SEVERAL years later I heard some new material and they were no longer rap at all, now they were like a really GOOD sounding pop group, who reminded me somewhat of Duran Duran. I heard songs like "Consume Me", and "Mind's Eye", and was totally impressed. I liked those songs so much, I went out and bought Intermission, The Best of DC Talk, which THANKFULLY contains none of that bad rap I heard early on.

I also still love Jars of Clay, and I own every CD from the self titled debut, to The Eleventh Hour.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Darth Groovy

Not true Astro, it is the music first, the message later. I don't care who is trying to tell me what, but if the music moves me in some fasion, I shall give it a chance, religeous preferences be damned!

true dat, but only to a certain extent....there is a line, between righteous and shyte-eous :p

mtfbwya

Originally posted by Darth Groovy

I used to shop the Christian book stores alot, then again, there was a time when I was one of the "good kids", not sure where I got corrupted. I found this really cool place in Wheaton, IL called "True Tunes ETC." They sold nothing but Christain tapes, records and CDs, and often they would sell underground stuff before it was even on the market, and they totally ran the place like any typical "indie" record shop. It was THERE where I discovered Vengeance Rising, Believer, Mortal, The Crucified, Painted Orange, Deitiphobia, Deliverance, Tourniquet, Scattered Few, Circle of Dust, and Crashdog.

Now DC Talk, as I remember started off as a really BAD Christian rap group. They came out on stage at Cornerstone '93, dressed up like Run DMC with crosses hanging from they're necks, and they sounded even worse live, than they did on the radio. SEVERAL years later I heard some new material and they were no longer rap at all, now they were like a really GOOD sounding pop group, who reminded me somewhat of Duran Duran. I heard songs like "Consume Me", and "Mind's Eye", and was totally impressed. I liked those songs so much, I went out and bought Intermission, The Best of DC Talk, which THANKFULLY contains none of that bad rap I heard early on.

I also still love Jars of Clay, and I own every CD from the self titled debut, to The Eleventh Hour.

TOBYMAC is dcTalk's rapper. All three went solo, but TOBYMAC has done the best out of all of them. Kevin Max, according to my sister, had the best voice over all, but he's gotten very wierd lately.

Was watching the Christian Music Awards before the band split... they were giving one of the awards... he started babbling about Cathy Lee Gifford... TOBYMAC was clearly their leader in dcTalk and shoved Kevin out of the way so they could get on with the awards... to be honest, I think Kevin was drunk there. He's let the fame they had get to his head.

Michael Tait has a CD or two out as well, but I've never paid that much attention to him.

Astro, the line you're speaking of... that's a very fine line. I am a Christian and will admit that openly. You have no idea how often I stay away from Christian radio stations... it's just trash they're putting out! Occasionally, a good song will come on, but it's not often enough to listen frequently.

Archived