Home

King Crimson

elTee

Well, I've been a fan of this British prog. rock group ever since I found some of their LP's in my dad's collection downstairs, and was fascinated by the artwork. I've been waxing lyrical about them on IRC for a long long time, but I thought I was pretty much the only person who liked them around here - although Remi said "there's nothing wrong with a bit of prog ;)" and Benny remembered liking In The Court Of The Crimson King from his uni days, but that was about it. However, since the two recent music threads I've found out many more of you like this band too!

Personally I think they're the best band in the "prog" genre, a position most people afford to Pink Floyd. Anyway, today my dad, through whom as I've said I discovered the band, came home with a strange package under his arm. What was it?

King Crimson: A 21st Century Guide: 1969 - 1974

It looks fantastic, it's one of those CD sets that has 4 CD's in a binder - 2 on the back of each cover, and a booklet inbetween. I have a Van Der Graaf Generator collection like this, but I had no idea that there was a King Crimson one out, and apparantly neither did my dad - he just saw it and bought it on impulse. Anyway, he bought it so he's hogging it for now, but I'll be listening to it and reading the book ASAP and I'll let you know what it's like. I wish I'd discovered it though, because it's my birthday in a few weeks :(

Anyway, I can't wait to hear some of the studio tracks on this thing! And there's an instrumental of one of my favourite tracks, In The Wake Of Poseidon. As I say it's just the first 5 years, which in my own humble opinion is when the band did their best work.

• 2 months later...

Archived