Home

Mozilla question?

Darth Groovy

I just sold somebody on firefox, and she's having some crazy problems to which I have no answer.

She just recently installed the latest version of the browser, and when she plays a music file, she get's this message in her browser over and over until she closes it:

"A license is required to play this file

The file you are trying to play was ripped (copied) from an audio CD.

During the ripping process, the file was "protected." This limits the number of computers on which the file can be played.

To play the file on this computer, you must download a license (a process known as "license migration"). A license acts an electronic key that allows you to "unlock" a protected file and play it.

To download a license for this file, click Download License."

This never happens to me.

Could this be because she uses XP Home, and I use XP Pro? :confused:

i'm assuming it isn't stuff she has ripped herself (why would she be viewing her local stuff in firefox?) but stuff out ont he web?

My guess would be that either

(a) the content creator has implemented the highly complex and annoying license encoding capabilities of wma

(b) she is downloading from a DRM music site that doesn't support mozilla (boo!)

© because she is using winamp, or some other music player it doesn't allow the file to be opened cos it requires Windows media player (latest version?) to play cos microsoft are evil.

(d) the link betweent the firefox and teh application/plugin isn't set up right.

It would help to know which type of music files (wma? mp3? aac?) and whether they don't work from all sites, or just a specific one.

I've never encountered such an error with firefox, so i think it is likely to be to do with the DRM on the file rather than firefox, or a specific site that doesn't support it.

Archived