Home

XWA wont install

darthstinker

Everytime I try installing XWA, nothing happens. I've tried clicking the "install X-Wing Alliance" button, and the menu just quits after a few moments. Nothing at all happens when i try going directly from the Setup.exe icon. I've tried installing Rogue Squadron, and i got the same results. I've got Windows XP and 2 Cd-rom drives, so I'm thinking one of those might be the problem? anyone know what to do?

Hi , i have the same problem (actualy both SWA and SW:Rebellion have this problem) Setup.exe just wont run. After you click on it, it starts does something and quits. No error messages or anything. In SWA installer it jsut gives woosh sound and quits. I tried to play with compatibility settings but no luck. Any ideas ? I have WinXP with SP2 , though setups wouldnt run when i had SP1 ither. Pls pls pls could you give me any solutions ? Realy wanted to reinstall my old SW games :(

Frosty

Are you getting an error dialog that mentions the file autoexec.nt? If so, try copying the autoexec.nt file from the Windows\Repair folder to the Windows\system32 folder and run your game's installation program again. You should find that it works this time. :)

Nope :) no autoexec problems. It doesnt give me any errors or anything, just when you start setup.exe coursor turn to the hourglass for a few seconds and thats it. It just ignores me :) Ant i know that its something with setup because games themselve run just fine. (i managed to half install XWA by copying files myself and it runs for a few missions before asking for CD2).

Frosty

Another thing you can try is to click the "Analyze My Computer" button in the menu that displays when you insert the CD. If your system passes all of the checks, you should be able to install it. You might also want to check your free disk space...XWA needs at least 275 MB free for installation and another 200 MB free after installation for in-game temp files. It is also a good idea to close all running programs before installing any application, whether it be a game or an office suite.

Frosty

Here's a question I didn't think of that a friend of mine asked me to ask you: Do you have administrative rights on the machine? If you're trying to install something and nothing happens, it may be because you need more access to the machine than you've been given. I don't know your age, but if you're using another person's machine (i.e. parents'), get their permission to install it first.

Yup, got access, got space and requirements :) As i said above, game files can be copied from CD manualy and it will run jsut fine, but because setup isnt run it wont write into registry thus XWA for example will only run until you need to insert second CD.

Its not the problem with anyting besides setup.exe itself or installer, i`m just trying to figure out what it may need to run, maybe theres some servece it needs or some or some specific DLL that may be missig from my windows install.

• 2 weeks later...

Frosty

Ran into someone on the LucasArts support forums who was having the same problem you're having. He traced his problem to spyware that was interfering with the InstallShield program, so you might want to run a spyware scan. Ad-Aware is good enough, but I've found that I love the Microsoft Anti-Spyware beta. I'll repeat this in a PM to you to make sure you see this. :)

• 4 months later...

Hey Frosty

I'm posting from Portugal. I've been a great fan of XWA for a long time (since the game was realeased), and I'm having the problems you and darthstinker had, I did not undestand how he did it, as, like you, playing with compatibilty mode does not help. Did you ever solved the problem? I'd like to trie everything before disc format (yes, I want to play the new missons that bad... :king1: )

I'm all ears :ears1:

Archived