Home

I need more men!

Admiral Vostok

I don't think that idea fits in with Star Wars since the Empire didn't look to keen to capture Echo Base only the personell inside it and the Rebels wouldn't capture an imperial base they'd try to make their own secluded one far away.

Build times should be balanced between forcing the player to use infantry but not long enough to make them unattractive after all every battle on land had vehicles. Perhaps though if you want to give an example of how a large army should be composed look at the Droid Armies of the Confederacy on Genosis they were excellently balanced and would have won if they had more numbers and decent air support.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just remembered something that wrecks my theory above. In some previews there were said that if a unit survives the battle, he doesn't just disapear into thin air, but is carried on into the next battle. But vehicles have more hp than a standard infantry unit, meaning you'll have a bunch of tanks already at the beginning of the battle...

stinger - actually the 'All Terrain Armoured Transport' name is pure assumption, as is the AT-AT designation - according to the only official source of Star Wars info, the films, they are simply called 'Walkers'. :p

If we were to follow that reasoning, very few ships in Star Wars would have a name. I don't think rebel fighters were ever refered to as "X-Wings" or "Y-Wings" in-game, for example. All I can remember is "TIE Fighter", "Star Destroyer", "Death Star", and "Imperial shuttle".

I belive that infantry is inferior to tanks and other vechicles since they dont have the capebility to take out other things. It is fun to storm 200 infantry over the battlefield but 10-20 AT-ST/AT-AT's would slaughter them.

That's already been addressed, comrade Norseman;).

Yes, of course they'd be. But first of all, there could be a system of infantry squads being allowed to carry special weapons that could be deployed and moved, like E-Webs or some sort of rocket launcher.

Second of all, destroying vehicles isn't the only thing you have to do in the game. There's other infantry, too, right?

Third of all, infantry is fun:p.

Fourth of all, infantry is dynamic. You can flank with them, ambush with them, and so on.

I just remembered something that wrecks my theory above. In some previews there were said that if a unit survives the battle, he doesn't just disapear into thin air, but is carried on into the next battle.

Er, what did you expect? There wouldn't be much sense in a whole army just disappearing after you conquer your first planet, would there now?

I think you're thinking of this the wrong way. This isn't an Age of Empires or Galactic Battlegrounds-style game. This is more of a Rome: Total War or Stars! setup.

I'd also like to see the inclusion of infantry as a necessity for some reason. While Rise of Nations sucked majorly, it did have one interesting feature, and that was that enemy cities could only be taken by infantry and not be vehicles. This meant you had to have infantry in your army just to win the game. Perhaps a similar idea could be used in EaW? Not necessarily that you can only take enemy bases with infantry, but perhaps you could either destroy the building with heavy firepower or invade it with infantry. Invading with infantry might give you control of the building, or it might actually be quicker than destroying it, or you might get a boost to your economy by capturing it (but don't get to use it).

I strongly disagree for several reasons. The main one is that intra-building combat is just not fun. Most of the time, it's like in Force Commander, which means it's just random cross-fire that you have no control of, which is no fun.

I'd prefer it to be like in Rome: Total War: All fighting is outside, and once you kill or rout the enemy, you get the town/city you were fighting for (or planet, in EaW's case).

Originally posted by Herminator

I just remembered something that wrecks my theory above. In some previews there were said that if a unit survives the battle, he doesn't just disapear into thin air, but is carried on into the next battle. But vehicles have more hp than a standard infantry unit, meaning you'll have a bunch of tanks already at the beginning of the battle...

What bothers me is that people don't understand that this isn't a classic RTS where you build your forces during battle.

When a battle starts, what you start with is all that you have. You build your forces before of battles.

To be more precise, you first have to fight in space before you can land your shuttles on the ground and start the land battle.

Originally posted by Dagobahn Eagle

Er, what did you expect? There wouldn't be much sense in a whole army just disappearing after you conquer your first planet, would there now?

I think you're thinking of this the wrong way. This isn't an Age of Empires or Galactic Battlegrounds-style game. This is more of a Rome: Total War or Stars! setup.

What bothers me is that people don't understand that this isn't a classic RTS where you build your forces during battle.

When a battle starts, what you start with is all that you have. You build your forces before of battles.

To be more precise, you first have to fight in space before you can land your shuttles on the ground and start the land battle.

I know that, and it's generally a good thing, I just fear that, in the end, you'll be left with nothing but vehicles, as they can handle more damage...

I know that, and it's generally a good thing, I just fear that, in the end, you'll be left with nothing but vehicles, as they can handle more damage...

But you keep replenishing your army, right? Which means more infantry.

And if you're doing things well, your infantry should survive, too.

If infantry can carry E-Web blasters/rocket launchers/grenades it might work.

And if you can mass produce infantry faster and cheaper to a 5/1 ratio against AT-ST's then infantry has a bigger role.

In urban combat infantry has an advantage, same in forest/swamp, exept the AT-AT which will mow down trees but have a problem hitting anything.

Archived