Home

Sam And Max Project Need Help/input On

pirate boy

Well I was hoping to wait a little longer in my project to unveil what I was doing, but considering you guys are disappearing and I definately could use your imput, well here I go...

I have hopes of making a Sam and Max play.

Now that Sam and Max is once again in the hands of Steve Purcell, and I have been in talk with the man himself about the idea, it would be much easier to be produced.

Sam and Max would be featured as full bodied puppets, similar to those displayed in the Lion King. Sam would be similar to Timon displayed below,

timon.gif

however there would be modifications, such as the ability to blink his eyes. But this way Sam would be able to pick up objects with one hand. Max would be a full bodied rod puppet. Not requiring as much facial movement (Max forever has that sickening smile) Max's rods when squeezed would clench his fists or allow him to hold something briefly. The puppetiers would be in full view of the audience but would be dressed completely in black.

Other puppets could include hand puppets for the little rodents that run around, or enormous cochroaches... or other possible creatures/enemies for the gang to team up against.

Not to be confused with a puppet show, Sam and Max would come into contact with live actors.

They would also get to "drive" their classic car though these scenes would have to be cut to a bare minimum. Purcell's idea was that objects could be in motion around the car creating the illusion of movement.

Instead of having the gang going cross country, I was hoping that the guys could hang out in New York and cause mischief there. But what sort of adventure for these two to encounter, I haven't the slightest idea. I would hopefully want to create something fresh and original without having to copy completely already produced ideas from the comics and the television show. These however I'm going to use as inspiration for the final product.

Purcell is busy enough as it is right now so to get him to write it all would be likely impossible. A more likely approach is to write a first draft and have him approve it.

Now I'm going to be heading off to college in less than a month to Savannah College of Art and Design located in Savannah, Georgia. It is my understanding that the school has a couple of partnerships in Atlanta with Center For Puppetry Arts. By looking at their website they do a VERY broadrange of puppetry and would likely be a very good place to produce such a play.

So any thoughts or ideas any of you have, by all means. It'll at least give you something to talk about.

Cheers

(btw if you don't know already, I'm the guy who took The Secret of Monkey Island and produced it into a play you can check it out over at http://www.worldofmi.com though I imagine most of you are the same people)

See, the only problem is, while shows like that are cool to watch, its not exactly "mainstream" I'm sure you could do it....but who knows who would watch it....I mean I would....But you know...Thats me.

I think we should all put in effort to making a clay-mation show....I think that would rock...

A play would be a rather impractical means of presenting Sam and Max. Cheeky meerkats are feasible, but Sam and Max get into more than just a Sunday evening kerfuffle. And while they're certainly capable of banter, action is their forte. Action in anything but a Punch and Judy sense.

That said, I think it's a ****ing brilliant idea.

I actually came here on accident.

Archived