Home

Strike Cruisers in?

Naja

The ARC 170 is horrible. The Z 95 is used by pirates (and sometimes by covert Rebels) and the X/W is over 1000 times better than the ARC 170. Plus, the ARC 170 was a Republic unit...probably discontinued by the advent of the TIE Series.

And Windu -

Senator Amidala's vessels can be called Nubian because of they are actually built on Naboo and for the Nubian Government. The CRV that Senator Organa uses and later on Leia is built by Corellian Engineering Coporation. The same company that built the ship we see in the opening scenes of Episode I...that later gets blown up the the Federation Hanager Defense Batteries. That ship predates the Corvette.

They are cheap and easy to modifiy with weapons, hanagars, and escape pods. The CRV has enough hardpoints to carry a sizeable defense, against small craft (but not of course from the ISD Devestator). They are also, and I say again, in widespread use across the galaxy...so it is almost impossible to ID the Tantive IV from a pirate CRV or an Imperial Cargo CRV.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dude - 'Nubian' doesn't mean 'from Naboo'. If you paid attention in Ep1, Watto uses the word 'Nubians' to mean 'Outlanders' (foreigners). Ergo, there is no evidence to say Amidala's ship was from Naboo.

As for the ARC-170, it was designed to be the precursor to the X-wing, like the Republic Star Destroyer to the Imperial Star Destroyer, and the V-wing to the TIE Fighter and A-wing. It's just to link more of a link to the Original Trilogy. As for how the design process of Z-95, ARC-170 and X-wing, there are two ways you can go.

1. Films: ARC-170 --> X-wing. The Z-95 never existed, and as the ARC-170 is in Ep3 while the X-wing is in 4, 5 and 6, obviously the ARC-170 came first.

2. EU: Z-95 --> ARC-170 --> X-wing. The Z-95 is mentioned in the pre-Ep1 novel, can't remember the name, while the ARC-170 isn't in use until around 10 years later, followed by the X-wing.

Oh yes, and there are many reasons the Z-95 would be in use by pirates and whatnot rather than the ARC-170.

- Z-95 only has a single pilot, so if the ship dies you only lose one person instead of three plus an astromech droid

- ARC-170 requires an astromech droid which add to maintenance expenses, can get lost, and could be difficult to obtain

- Due to size, Z-95's are easier to hide, store and cheaper to maintain

Dude - 'Nubian' doesn't mean 'from Naboo'. If you paid attention in Ep1, Watto uses the word 'Nubians' to mean 'Outlanders' (foreigners). Ergo, there is no evidence to say Amidala's ship was from Naboo.

You can see a connection between Organa and his ship, meaning it must be an Alderaanian design, but you can't see such an obvious connection between "Nubian" and "Naboo"?!? :confused:

Which incidently even the EU agrees on what means.

The minute I saw that movie, I knew straight away what it ment. I even was probably the one that was most bothered about the fact that SWGalaxies didn't even pick up on this. They called people from Naboo for Nabooians.

It's Nubian!!!

Watch the movies, Sony. :p

luke - no it doesn't. What you need to do is learn about how politics and Military forces operate and then jump back in.

I don't need to go out and "learn".

First off, there is no threat to Alderaan from the Rebels because Alderaan is a covertly Rebel planet.

Palpatine doesn't know this. It would be better if Alderaan showed that they had the military to push back the Rebels as a sign of good will towards the Emperor.

By not having any military weapons, they pose no overt threat to Palpatine, and so would pretty much fly under the radar, leaving them more-or-less free to do what they want.

But Organa disposing of his vehicles would attract attention. If anything, disarming under Imperial rule would have attracted quite a bit of attention from the authorities to make sure everything was done in good order.

Pre-Clone Wars and during the Clone Wars they would have had weapons to defend themselves. Sure, there was the Grand Army of the Republic, but it can't be everywhere, so the Alderaanians like everyone else would have had their own small armed forces specifically to defend themselves.

Exactly, which would probably be similar to the Naboo, small squadrons of fighters with maybe one or two medium-size warships.

As for an Alderaanian Senator buying a Corellian ship, so why aren't Padme's ships Corellian? Point is, which you still ignore, that in Sci-Fi/Fanatsy series, EACH FACTION IS GIVEN THEIR OWN UNIQUE DESIGN ETHOS. This is so audiences can instantly recognise them as being Republic, Imperial, Naboo etc. In addition, you'd be looking at pride. Alderaan is probably a pretty important planet, and so they're going to send their Senator in a ship from another system, while little Naboo can send their's in a Naboo-made ship. Don't think so sport.

The Naboo ships are obviously custom made small vessels. Cost is very high for any single one of them. However, a Corellian Corvette is a common warship (as proven by their use in RotJ). What you claim is that Alderaan custom makes its ships like the Naboo. Obviously, they don't.

I'll use a real world analogy here. China, for example, decides to buy a Bentley for their president to go wherever he has to go. Well, I guess that's it. Bentley isn't chinese.

Besides, the Naboo certainly aren't poor. I don't understand how you can come to that conclusion. It would look stupid for the Trade Federation to blockade a poor planet, Sidious' homeworld or not.

As for an Alderaanian Senator buying a Corellian ship, so why aren't Padme's ships Corellian?

Why should it be?

Why can't one planet get their ships one way, and another planet do it another way?

Point is, which you still ignore, that in Sci-Fi/Fanatsy series, EACH FACTION IS GIVEN THEIR OWN UNIQUE DESIGN ETHOS. This is so audiences can instantly recognise them as being Republic, Imperial, Naboo etc.

Irrelevant.

This explaination works for a standard sci-fi/fantasi movie/adventure/book whatever.

But this is Star Wars. Star Wars-fans need an in-universe explaination to stuff.

Not a "Because this is how movies are made" explaination. Those "explainations" arn't good enough for Star Wars fans.

Also, try not to yell at people. If you want to put pressure on a word, or sentence, make them in Bold text. And to further put emphasis on words and text, add Italic aswell.

Dude - fact remains that Watto uses the word 'Nubian' to mean 'Outlander'. It is very clear, and as it is from the films it superscedes anything from the books.

Jan - the problem there is that you're saying one planet has its own, completely unique ships, while another more powerful planet has to buy them from someone else. Main problems here are both recognition and prestige.

I could accept that the Corellians bought the right to produce the Corvette off of Alderaan when they disarmed, but to say Senator Organa uses a Corellian ship as his personal transport is daft.

i've been following this topic for awhile and can't understand why can't you, darth windu, except the fact the ship used by senator organa of alderaan is corellian corvette built by CEC. every legimate source on the internet and of the internet agrees on this. could you please list your sources to proof whta you are saying is true. other wise, if you have no proof, just give up, stubborness in this case shows you only as a fool.

Dude - fact remains that Watto uses the word 'Nubian' to mean 'Outlander'. It is very clear, and as it is from the films it superscedes anything from the books.

There is no facts what Watto means about Nubian meaning "Outlander" in the movies. But it does come off quite clear what he means by it. This isn't rocket science after all. You have Qui-Gon showing a hologram of the Queens ship, Watto exclaims "Ah. Nubian.". Nubian .... Naboo ... when he sees the Nubian ship .... like I said, it's not rocket science. I did not have to read any kind of book to get the meaning of the word. Nor have I read a book for that matter.

I'm interested how you managed to get to the meaning that Nubian means Outlander.

You're not into this debate for making sense, are you. :)

You're into it for distance and irritation. "How long can I keep at it before these guys snap." :p

luke - quite true. However, to make my position on this matter clear, I think the ship is Alderaanian because

1. Every faction has their own unique design style

2. Two Alderaanian Senators use the same vessel

3. Han Solo refers to the "big Corellian ships" - the Corvette isn't that big

4. The ships are used extensively by the Rebellion, which Alderaan supports

5. The offical site clearly calls the vessel an "Alderaan Cruiser" even though EU has long called it Corellian

Jan - ah, you've discovered my evil plot :)

No, really I seriously think it is Alderaanian, for the reasons above. As for how I got the meaning of 'Nubian' to mean 'Outlander', in Ep1 Watto says something like 'Outlands, think they know everything' during which he speaks the word 'Nubians'. This is when Qui-Gon, Jar Jar, Padme and R2 leave the shop following Qui-Gon's failed Mind Trick.

if you wanna go technical movies never mentioned the ship being "alderaan cruiser" and that all books say those ships are corellian corvettes. also, about your points darth windu what official site are you talking about, mind providing link. also, when han solo referred to big corellians, he meant the ones imperials are using so i don't get you point so much there. and compared to millenium falcon corvette is big. so what if two senators use it, ofcourse they are aren't gonna buy new ship because it would cost money.

The minute I saw that movie, I knew straight away what it ment. I even was probably the one that was most bothered about the fact that SWGalaxies didn't even pick up on this. They called people from Naboo for Nabooians.

I was sure "Nubian" was the type of ship. Meh.

I'll use a real world analogy here. China, for example, decides to buy a Bentley for their president to go wherever he has to go. Well, I guess that's it. Bentley isn't chinese.

Another analogy is how Norway buys fighters like the F-4 and F-16 from who-knows-where (probably mostly the USA, though possibly also the UK, Germany, or France), while Sweden makes its own fighter (the JAS-39 Gripen). Why aren't Sweden's fighters from America? Because they figured it'd be better for them to design and build their own fighters, while Norway decided to buy them from out-of-town.

Likewise, Organa got her hands on a Correlian Corvette, while Padmé decided Naboo should build a vessel to call its own.

Plain and simple.

I like this discussion. It's a welcome break from more significant things like Dubya, stem cells, gays, Church, and Schiavo.

Possibly. However, the corvette is not one of them.

It can still be from somewhere else. Several Norwegian Prime Ministers have travelled with cars and helicopters that are not built in Norway.

It is decent-sized compared to fighters, the Falcon, and most other ships. Star Destroyers are bigger, but they aren't "most ships".

It's like a frigate is "big" to an MTB, but small to an aircraft carrier. Everything's relative.

4. The ships are used extensively by the Rebellion, which Alderaan supports.

So?

Norway supports Germany (when we're not bashing Bush:p), and we use F-16 fighters extensively. The Germans have F-16 fighters. I suppose that means the F-16 is orginally German, then:rolleyes:.

5. The offical site clearly calls the vessel an "Alderaan Cruiser" even though EU has long called it Corellian

Nope. It clearly lists it as a CR90 Correlian Corvette, nicked the "Blockade Runner", built by the CEC.

luke - quite true. However, to make my position on this matter clear, I think the ship is Alderaanian because

Jan - ah, you've discovered my evil plot :)

No, really I seriously think it is Alderaanian, for the reasons above. As for how I got the meaning of 'Nubian' to mean 'Outlander', in Ep1 Watto says something like 'Outlands, think they know everything' during which he speaks the word 'Nubians'.

Or maybe Watto simply believes Qui-Gon is a Nubian, since Naboo is primearly inhabited by humans. ;)

Another analogy is how Norway buys fighters like the F-4 and F-16 from who-knows-where (probably mostly the USA, though possibly also the UK, Germany, or France), while Sweden makes its own fighter (the JAS-39 Gripen). Why aren't Sweden's fighters from America? Because they figured it'd be better for them to design and build their own fighters, while Norway decided to buy them from out-of-town.

And to add to that, while Sweden has about 1000 Billion kroner (roughly 150 Billion dollars, I'm not quite sure what the exchange rate is these days) in debt, Norway has 1000 billion in the bank. :)

So why arn't we making planes aswell, and better ones, since we have no debt and actually alot in the bank as a country?!? ;)

Same way with Alderaan and Corellia.

Corellia is actually famous for its ships, unlike Alderaan.

And this is relevant why?

One thing doesn't neccessarly have to do anything about the other.

Again, I fail to see the relevanse here.

Corellia also supports the Rebel Alliance.

Where?

If you mean the artwork, then that again is irrelevant as it's the finished product that counts.

In the end, it has always been a Corellian Corvette, and will always be a Corellian Corvette.

I think I gotta agree with Jan on this one. I've always known those ships as Corvettes, and that's what I've always heard others refer to them as. Corelia is known for it's ships, and Alderaan isn't. It would make sense that Alderaan buys their ships from Corelia. Especially since they both support the rebellion.

Archived