Home

Here's an idea

Hester

This is just me thinking out loud so to speak so don't jump on me. I've just had this crazy idea the other day and I need someone to tell me it completely wrong

Fanboys work completely unpaid ,often risking legal prosecution to make unofficial sequels to their favourite games right? Often the results are poor but as we can see from those sierra remakes and kq9 screenshots ,often the results are really profressional. Also we know that Ron Gilbert has the plans all laid out for his own version of monkey island 3 and still refuses to give them away.

Wouldn't it be economically viable for Lucasarts to allow Ron Gilbert and talented monkey island fanboys (artists programmers etc) to make a "monkey island 3" game ,and they could then make available only online for a small price say $10-15.

With a Monkey Island 5 some fans wouldn't and some fans would ,but surely every monkey island fan would love to know what would happens in Ron Gilbert's Monkey Island 3? Lucasarts would get the lions share of the profit ,Ron Gilbert would then get paid a percentage ,which would be bad ,but surely he'd appreciate it more than simply having his idea die completely ,not to mention (the way things are going) Monkey Island itself ,and and eveyone else would get paid a much smaller percentage ,which is terrible ,but conisdering the amount of work these people do for nothing ,it's something at least

I mean I know in one sense the whole idea is flawed because it relies on Ron Gilbert agreeing to give up his property for what will probably be a small amount ,but he has said he has designs for the third game written up and if you look at his site he still refuses to give away his ideas for his sequel ,he must still value them.

Josh Mandel has said that one of companies' major objections to fan-made sequels was that they interfered with "Canon" the main story of a series -which this wouldn't it ,would be a sort of "what-if" .Considering they would only be paying Ron and fanboys out of the money they are making they wouldn't have that much to lose. Selling games online saves packaging and as Telltale show is viable if you're catering to a fan community because they come to you.

I mean could it work?

Sounds nice, but LA would never agree to it simply because they're stupid. Why waste time sorting out contracts and dealing with the legalities of loaning the rights to Gilbert for himt o make a game that may or may not sell particularly well when they could be spending their time making more crappy Star Wars games?

Yeah, it's a nice idea but... save it for a Utopia.

And besides, I don't think Gilbert's Mi3 would have been neccesarily that amazing or exciting. He's never said that he had the whole thing completely planned out, or that the secret is a plot-twist of J K Rowling proportions.

Archived