Home

Conversation Editor and dlg files.

Miltiades

Hi,

A few months ago, I wanted to translate Kotor into my own language. I went well, but I stopped for a few months. Now I have 2 problems.

1) This problem I had from the beginning: It's the tar02_carth022.dlg file which causes problems. I translated the file, and put in in my override, like all the rest. Then, I started the game, and went into the escape pod (Endar Spire). After the 2 movies had played, Carth speaks to the PC. After he said a line or 2, the screen turns black, and stays that way. No dialog, but I can here my char. walk when I press my mouse. I found out that the first 2 lines were not in-game. But they wer in-game when I put the dlg file in my override.

2) My second problem is with my Conversation Editor. When I want to open a dlg file with the editor, I don't see any dialog. I tried to change the dialog lines with the DLG Editor, but that didn't work. That's why I tried the Conversation Editor, which I had used before.

Can someone help me with this?

Are you editing each dlg file separately???

If so, the DLG converter would solve the problem if your language ID is supported: http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=145725

But in any event, if you are translating the whole game, it would be better to translate the dialog.tlk file.

You can also fool the game to make it believe your game is in English (even if it's not) by hex editing the dialog.tlk file (why do simple when you can go complicated?..) edit:hehe there's a much easier way: just change the language ID to english with a dialog.tlk editor

that should solve the display problem too.

The problem is: It's none of the languages which are in that thread.

Well, I could change it in the tlk file, but if I want to do it level by level, then that won't work.

Well you obviously have the game in one of the original languages: set the language ID to that language.

But I really don't see why you would modifiy each .dlg individually :confused: editing the dialog.tlk is the way to go for this kind of job.

You can also change the language ID of the .tlk file to display the dialogues in the dlg editor with a .tlk editor. Set it to English.

Well you obviously have the game in one of the original languages: set the language ID to that language.

Ah, ok.

But I really don't see why you would modifiy each .dlg individually :confused: editing the dialog.tlk is the way to go for this kind of job.

I know, but it's not that surveyable than editing every dlg file seperately. It's just that I want to edit it planet by planet, which makes it easier for me.

Hey, is it normal you encounter some lines 3 or 4 times?

I translate the line "The Endar Spire?", but it was still like it was first. It turns out that there was another one.

How do I know which of the 2 I need to translate. Otherwise, it will take much more time.

Hey, is it normal you encounter some lines 3 or 4 times?

Yes, in both K1 and K2, the same line can appear multiple times in dialog.tlk.

How do I know which of the 2 I need to translate. Otherwise, it will take much more time.

Look at the dialogue that you are translating in DLGEditor. The line in dialog.tlk that you want to edit is the number in the Strref field.

The line in dialog.tlk that you want to edit is the number in the Strref field.

So that means the number in the Strref field is the same as the line in the .tlk file. But because the strref number is -1, that can't be correct.

Anyways, rgdelta, thanks for the help.

So that means the number in the Strref field is the same as the line in the .tlk file. But because the strref number is -1, that can't be correct.

Yes, the number in the strref field is usually the same as the line in dialog.tlk, however, if the strref is listed as -1, then the string is stored in the .dlg file itself, which means you must edit that .dlg (notice that the textarea underneath the strref is greyed-out-uneditable if the strref > -1, and is editable when the strref = -1).

Yes, the number in the strref field is usually the same as the line in dialog.tlk, however, if the strref is listed as -1, then the string is stored in the .dlg file itself, which means you must edit that .dlg (notice that the textarea underneath the strref is greyed-out-uneditable if the strref > -1, and is editable when the strref = -1).

Yeah, I noticed. Can I change the strref to something >-1 if I want to edit it? Otherwise I can't.

Btw, with some dlg files, I can edit it, even if the strref is -1.

Yeah, I noticed. Can I change the strref to something >-1 if I want to edit it? Otherwise I can't.

Btw, with some dlg files, I can edit it, even if the strref is -1.

I'm not sure I understand your question. I said that you can directly edit the text of a line in the *.dlg directly only if the strref = -1. "-1" just means that there is no reference to dialog.tlk and that the game will load the corresponding line stored in the dlg file instead.

I'm not sure I understand your question. I said that you can directly edit the text of a line in the *.dlg directly only if the strref = -1. "-1" just means that there is no reference to dialog.tlk and that the game will load the corresponding line stored in the dlg file instead.

O, sorry, I just misread.

Archived