Home

Npc doesn't wear my custom made robe

Miltiades

* One important thing to be aware of is the appearance that your using for your npc. Most only have the basic model that they use so if you equip armor on them it will not show, or it could make them invisable

This came from a topic on how to make a custom NPC. I found this and thought it was the cause of my problem. But can someone explain what this means? (I mean what I quoted)

My problem is that my NPC (not friendly, hostile) doesn't wear my custom made robe (but everything else he wears, only the robe wasn't in his remains.).

Some NPCs (usually generic, non-party NPCs) will sometimes have the same model and texture entries in Appearance.2da. This means that regardless of what item they have equipped, the game will only see that appearance. To change this (assuming that this is the actual cause of the problem that you are having) you'll need to open Appearance.2da and change the model and texture entries (you can usually just copy and paste the entries next to any one of the PC entries). For KotOR you'll be looking in columns modeli and texi. For TSL you'll need to know what style of robe it is before you can edit (it will be either modelm/texm or modeln/texn...I think :().

I hope that helps.

Achilles nailed it (as usual) ;)

For a better understanding about models/textures and where they belong.. these 2 threads are by far the most helpful:

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=126482

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=148638

Also, I noticed you used the words "remains"... if so, did you make the item in his inventory droppable? Otherwise.. even if the NPC were to wear it.. they wouldn't drop it in their loot once killed..

Also, I noticed you used the words "remains"... if so, did you make the item in his inventory droppable? Otherwise.. even if the NPC were to wear it.. they wouldn't drop it in their loot once killed..

I didn't. Still, when he's dead, everything he was equipped with, was in his remains, except for the robe of course, which he didn't wear.

To change this (assuming that this is the actual cause of the problem that you are having) you'll need to open Appearance.2da and change the model and texture entries (you can usually just copy and paste the entries next to any one of the PC entries).

I don't really know how to do that, and I don't know into what I have to change it.

I don't really know how to do that, and I don't know into what I have to change it.
Err...well, you look at the content of one cell (usually one that you know will work, such as a PC...as I outlined in my previous message) and then you copy that into the row of your character. You can either type it out or right click/copy.

...and if you did that and it still doesn't work, remember that your item might still have a requirement or restriction that prohibits your character from equipping it (i.e. Jedi Defense with Jedi robes, etc).

Err...well, you look at the content of one cell (usually one that you know will work, such as a PC...as I outlined in my previous message) and then you copy that into the row of your character. You can either type it out or right click/copy.

The row of my character, which one is that then? Is it already listed in de 2da file or not? And how do I know which one is my character's row then?

Let's say I use for appearance of my NPC, Jedi_White_Male_04, which is row 214. I have to copy that row into a new row? And what do I have to change then in that row?

Check out the 2nd link that chain gave it explains the 2da indepth including what each column for the row does so if it is a jedi robe the modeli/texi is jedi robes. Hope that answered the question

Well, I know which column I need to change, but not into what I have to change it.

So, you said when the NPC dies, the robe is not on the corpse?

Are you sure you are giving the NPC the robe? Check to see if there's a nameless grenade on the corpse. If the mistyped the template resref for your robe, the game can't find the template and replaces it with a generic "dummy" object, which happens to be a nameless grenade.

I think this might be (one of) your problem(s), since you say it does not show on the corpse

So, you said when the NPC dies, the robe is not on the corpse?

Are you sure you are giving the NPC the robe? Check to see if there's a nameless grenade on the corpse. If the mistyped the template resref for your robe, the game can't find the template and replaces it with a generic "dummy" object, which happens to be a nameless grenade.

I think this might be (one of) your problem(s), since you say it does not show on the corpse

The robe is not on the corpse because he's not wearing it. And no, there isn't a nameless grenade or something similar on the corpse, only the items I equipped him with.

My other custom item, which was an armband, he did wear, and was in his remains. It's only the robe. So I think it has something to do with the appearance.2da, I just didn't do it correctly, but I don't know what is wrong with it.

This is what I have done (Kotor2): I copied the row of Jedi_White_Male_04 (which is row 216) and paste it after the last row (row 670), so I changed the row to 671. Then I went to the columns "modeln" and "texn", and changed the content to PFBN70 (my custom robe). Then I saved the appearance.2da and put it in my override, together with the other files of my npc.

This is what I have done (Kotor2): I copied the row of Jedi_White_Male_04 (which is row 216) and paste it after the last row (row 670), so I changed the row to 671. Then I went to the columns "modeln" and "texn", and changed the content to PFBN70 (my custom robe). Then I saved the appearance.2da and put it in my override, together with the other files of my npc.

PFBN70? Did you make, re-name or adjust a new model?

The "70" part is confusing me.. it looks like you're adding the .tga's texture number to the model name.

The appearance.2da column should be (assuming your still using the game's model) PFBN, without the 70 attached...

The "70" is your texture variation number that's defined in your robe's .uti file. Also, be sure to add the custom robe to your NPC's .utc file...

Again, this is all assuming you've just done a re-skin of the game's normal robe model (Master's Robe from the looks of what you posted)...and added your custom stats to a .uti...

If you have indeed created/adjusted/re-named the model (the .mdl & .mdx files) to include the 70, then "ignore" my rambling :xp: hehehe....

PFBN70? Did you make, re-name or adjust a new model?

The "70" part is confusing me.. it looks like you're adding the .tga's texture number to the model name.

The appearance.2da column should be (assuming your still using the game's model) PFBN, without the 70 attached...

The "70" is your texture variation number that's defined in your robe's .uti file.

Then I don't really need to make a new row in my appearance.2da.

Also, be sure to add the custom robe to your NPC's .utc file...

What do you mean, in his inventory, or something else?

Then I don't really need to make a new row in my appearance.2da.

Yes, you will need to retain the row you created... just kill the "70" part in your column entry (unless you've created a new model)

Now, in your robe's .uti file, make sure the texture variation field is set to "70", and your baseitem field (type) is set to Master Robes.

Also, make sure your robe's new .tga skin file is named using that reference number (70)... (I'm assuming you re-skinned a robe, therefore the reasoning behind this "70"??) Not sure (at work, no visual reference), but should look something like "PFBN70.tga"

What do you mean, in his inventory, or something else?
Yes, in his inventory. If the character doesn't have an item in it's .utc file, then he/she isn't going to wear it ;) Equip your robe in the character's Body Slot, and make sure they have the Jedi Feat.. otherwise they can't wear it.

Yes, you will need to retain the row you created... just kill the "70" part in your column entry (unless you've created a new model)

Now, in your robe's .uti file, make sure the texture variation field is set to "70", and your baseitem field (type) is set to Master Robes.

Also, make sure your robe's new .tga skin file is named using that reference number (70)... (I'm assuming you re-skinned a robe, therefore the reasoning behind this "70"??) Not sure (at work, no visual reference), but should look something like "PFBN70.tga"

Yes, it's PFBN70.tga.

But I mean, I don't really need to create a row, because for example, if I use Jedi_White_Male_04, then there's typed PFBNM and PFBN under Modeln and Texn. And that's exactly the same as what's in the columns of my row.

Yes, in his inventory. If the character doesn't have an item in it's .utc file, then he/she isn't going to wear it ;) Equip your robe in the character's Body Slot, and make sure they have the Jedi Feat.. otherwise they can't wear it.

Yes, I've done that. Jedi Feat? Do you mean Jedi Defense or Force Sensitive?

I don't know if it helps, but my PC can wear the robe. Male or female PC, they both can wear it. I only have problems with NPCs. I don't know about my party members, because I reinstalled the game and I only have one savegame in which none of my partymembers are force sesitive, except the Exile of course and Kreia, but with Kreia you always see the same robe.

Archived