Home

Fun career poll (honest)

Guest Zoom Rabbit

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Zoom Rabbit

So you're interested in cooking, Zargon? I'd be glad to give some advice. smile.gifFirst, of course, you should try working in a restaurant for awhile before you commit to going to culinary school. Professional cooking is one of the most stressful careers you can choose...a dishwashing job would give you a chance to see what those poor bastards go through each day!

Say you're crazy enough to still want to pursue cooking, congratulations. You've chosen a career where it is almost always possible to find work, anywhere, and where you sometimes get to stretch your legs creatively. Unfortunately, you will never be rich. You have been warned. wink.gif

Culinary school is the best way to go, although I must confess that I, myself, did not. Cooking is one of the few skilled professions left where it is possible to learn your craft entirely on the job, and make money doing it. Most of my formal culinary experience comes from six and a half years working for Red Lion Hotels. Many hotels and country clubs are accredited by the American Culinary Federation, and are excellent places to learn the fine points of culinary science.

Hope this helps. biggrin.gif

So, what did I want to be when I was a kid? I wanted to be a stage actor. I was in all the plays in highschool and college...my best role was a Willy Loman in Death of a Salesman that brought the house down. Very, very, very little money in acting, though. rolleyes.gif

Vark ,I'll be down Friday. rolleyes.gif My wife is a server/network admin/unix/cisco/linux/technical architect babe. So she might be a little more qualified then me at the moment. smile.gif

where are you at? where do you work?

Vark, here is another thought. You can come up here and my Wife can try to hook you up with a job. She has been at Boeing for 15 years and has a sweet job. She telecomutes 3 days a week and works part-time. She has had many offer to work for MS and some people she worked with have gone to work at MS and are up to close to 6 figures and most of them got some stock(lots) when the hired on. smile.gif

[This message has been edited by GUNNER (edited January 24, 2001).]

Guest Vark111

Actually, she might be little overqualified. biggrin.gif This is just a small operation!

I work in Tustin, CA. There's actually two companies in the office, CD CyClone which is a manufacturer of CD duping machines, and Mediastore which is a reseller for all things CD-R related. I was being kinda facetious about the job offer. In all honesty, I wouldn't wish this job onto my worst enemy (though I might be convinced to let n00t have it wink.gif). The management here is pathetic. They have no concept of running a business. The new place I (might be) going to will be a nice change of pace... Management that understands what running a company is all about!

------------------

It takes all kinds... The question is, what is 'it'?

if there is something that I relly want to be: it's a solo guitarist. Not one of those guitarist like Kirk Hammett (Metallica) and such that lack creativety but Guitarists like Steve Vai, Joe Satriani or Paul Gilbert, all those artist create instrunental electric guitar masterpieces.

I bet no one ever heard of those guys, anyways if someone is curious, here are good titles you can get with napster, just choose:

By Satriani:

-Surfing with the Alien

-Satch Boogie

-Tears in the rain (soft)

-midnight (soft)

By Vai:

-The audience is listening

-For the love of god (soft)

-The Animal

by Gilbert:

-Gilberto Concerto (kinda like betthoven)

That's what I want to do,

but I'm sure I'll end up as a bum...

Zoom, I am looking at business because of the money problem and my HUGE love for cars. I figure getting a nice business degree and knowledge of things like accounting means that someday I could run my own restaraunt. My parents however, do not like this idea as they see me living at home well past my graduation, which would be terrible! I am looking at getting a job with a very popular catering biz in town that would let me actualyl possibly do a bit of cooking right off the bat

Guest Zoom Rabbit

Catering! Do it! Sounds like a perfect job to get started with. biggrin.gif

I should mention, though, that most restaurant owners go broke, or crazy. Some do both. eek.gif I've heard a number of them lament at how they wish they'd started almost any other kind of business.

When i grow up (i have awhile yet) i want to become a barrister and then hopefully a judge. But this is only a rough idea.

P.S. Admiral u are very like someone i know... He goes by the same name online he is an excellent Latin scholar and like u he is very, very.....

Vark, don't worry, I know you were kinning. wink.gif Besides ,why would I want to go to Cali and have to sit in the dark and read books by candle light every day. rolleyes.gif

Jem, I have heard of Satriani and Vai. smile.gif Kerry Livgren is also one of the best guitarists around. He was in the band Kansas.

I am a tech support engineer at a company that gives support, services and software to hospitals. I support their UNIX servers and OS and devices and such. I don't really like my job at the mo. It was the first one I could get. I'm looking for a job Administering and/or supporting NT networks and windows based desktops.

although a job where I would play video games would be good too smile.gif

My dream is to be a singer or an actor of some sort, in addition to being a computer guy.

Keyan, if you don;t like CompEng, don't study it. College is a load of crap anyway. You're spending your good money on it, or will be repaying loans forever. study something you like.

and you CAN be as good as that. All you need is the GANAS (desire). A little bit of flair and style doesn't hurt either smile.gif

Guest Zoom Rabbit

Wally the space dolphin wishes that he had pursued his dream of being a nightclub singer instead of getting his PhD in quantum multidimensional transcendental philosophy.

Ah, Wally...yer just a crooner, ain'tcha? wink.gif

Originally posted by Ike:

Keyan, if you don't like CompEng, don't study it. College is a load of crap anyway. You're spending your good money on it, or will be repaying loans forever. study something you like.

and you CAN be as good as that. All you need is the GANAS (desire). A little bit of flair and style doesn't hurt either smile.gif

I really don't think I can be. Like I said though, having a wife and children is more important to me than my dream. If that means I have to have a job that isn't exactly what I love to do, then that's OK. Most people my age think of getting married as some sort of curse, but I can't wait for the day when I look down at my little baby and he or she calls me "Dad-da". I guess you might say that's really my dream. Music still fits, though - when my wife has to get up for those late-night feedings, I'll go to the piano and play a little Mozart for them wink.gif

Originally posted by Keyan Farlander:

My aunt was poor and stupid and then just started a catering business one day. 15 years later she spends 4 months out of the year in Barbados. She worked like 18 hours a day during those 15 years, though, so it didn't come easily!

Minus the being your Aunt/female, that soucns familiar. But I am told I am not stupid, just too lazy to apply myself. I work late anyways and never get enogh sleep, im built for that I guess, as long as I have mt. dew.

this is nto a run at upping my post count, as I have too many already, I just dont know how to really multiquote like so I did 1 per reply......whatever......

You know what's amazing about this thread...? The replies, almost all of them are long and people enjoyed typing it. This is a great thread.

About my dream job, I have decided to take a first step and start composing (seriously), can't say I'll go far but at least I can say I tried. I'm going to take advantage of the fact that this will be the only year that I will have some free time (University next year...). I will start by learning all the basic rules by heart. wink.gif

Now if only I could find a band...

<font size=1>

[This message has been edited by Jem (edited January 26, 2001).]

Originally posted by JR2000Z:

At 6th grade I always wanted to work for the IRS (. . .)

Now Im aiming to work for LucasArts or Volition Inc.

You're EVIL!!! wink.gif

I'm a student and a writer (still working at getting published), specializing in SF (that's Speculative Fiction, and encompasses both sci-fi and fantasy). I also do a little poetry (apparently it's quite good --it's won an award or two), but that's not really my priority.

Hey, Nute, if you're going into SF writing we may end up collaborating someday! <small>Goddess, have mercy.</small>

BTW, Rosie, you do realize that "Kanata" is actually a small township in Ontario, right?

------------------

"Do fish-people eat fish, or would that be like humans eating monkeys?"

"Humans do eat monkeys. In fact humans eat other humans. . . Y'know, as a species, we are really quite unpleasant."

Guest Zoom Rabbit

When I was a little boy, I wanted to be a bird painter. I wanted to go out in the wild, catch birds and paint them with bright, fluorescent paints. I would make designs on their wings and paint their little heads to look like cartoon characters...maybe glue sequins on the tips of their feathers and tie ribbons to their tail or something nice like that. Perhaps bells.

People said it was 'silly' and talked me out of it. I'm better now.

biggrin.gif

Archived