Home

Saber system suggestions

JRHockney*

I've just committed the change to the repository. Please check it out when you guys have time. Hopefully we'll have time to play around with it tomorrow.

I've already tried it with the bots and I think it's a marked improvement. It gaves a more immediate effect to the parries and allows for much more back-and-forth action. And back-and-forth action looks and feels cooler IMO.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello.

I've been messing around with this mod since a week or two with my mates on lan. It feels really professional and is very fun to play. I'm really impressed.

Some things in the saber system bothers me. First, the attack when you jump to finish off a guy on the floor - its imo too slow and can be avoided too easily. I also find spin-around attacks, especially on the blue style too slow. I believe they happen too often to be that slow. The last thing that bothers me is that when you get disarmed its a bit too easy to pick the saber up again. Sometimes I can't even manage to hit the disarmed opponent. Maybe some simple pickup procedure would fix it - the need to crouch on and stay a moment or to roll over the saber. I also though about interrupting the saber come-back force power, maybe with force pull? Dunno.

Anyways, these are just my thoughts after several long games and some testing. Not really big issues at all, but I thought that you can check them out.

My ingame nick is same as here or Zeus. Sometimes I invade the server, but it's pingy since I'm european. We are playing through Hamachi, so if anyone wants to have some fights and is european too, we can hook up and setup a network.

Again great job on the mod. I've never seen a better one.

Cheers

I'm glad you've been enjoying the mod. We've worked hard on it. :)

Some things in the saber system bothers me. First, the attack when you jump to finish off a guy on the floor - its imo too slow and can be avoided too easily.
Good point. Bug ticket that and I'll try to get around to it before the next release.

I also find spin-around attacks, especially on the blue style too slow. I believe they happen too often to be that slow.
We've actually already fixed that. Try out the latest version and see if that fixed the problem for you.

The last thing that bothers me is that when you get disarmed its a bit too easy to pick the saber up again.
Good point. I've had a problem about that too, but I keep forgetting to tweak that. Bug ticket.

My ingame nick is same as here or Zeus. Sometimes I invade the server, but it's pingy since I'm european.
Try getting in contact with our European Test Lead, MaxState. He's in charge of getting new betas out to you guys and scheduling games and such. :)

Thanks for your kind words. Thanks for actually learning the saber system too! LOL! Not many newer players really do that very well.

First, the attack when you jump to finish off a guy on the floor - its imo too slow and can be avoided too easily.

Yeah that could be a bit faster. That anim's always been a bit of a problem. Sometimes it doesnt even hit right when it does hit.

I also find spin-around attacks, especially on the blue style too slow. I believe they happen too often to be that slow.

Thats debatable I think. If they are too slow, thats probably a good think since blue hits waay too fast in combo creating that "hacksaw" combo feel of the style we're always talkng about and because of the way the animations are, it will probably always be like that. A slower turn around might help keep it in balance.

The last thing that bothers me is that when you get disarmed its a bit too easy to pick the saber up again. Sometimes I can't even manage to hit the disarmed opponent. Maybe some simple pickup procedure would fix it - the need to crouch on and stay a moment or to roll over the saber.

hmm, maybe. We could extend the heavybounce conversion disarm time a bit and slowing down their movement, but not allowing them to call back their saber at all might be a little over the top since everyone would just try for those and neglect kick and forcepower usage.

Hi.

Thanks for quick answers.

hmm, maybe. We could extend the heavybounce conversion disarm time a bit and slowing down their movement, but not allowing them to call back their saber at all might be a little over the top since everyone would just try for those and neglect kick and forcepower usage.

I know that keeping balance is a hard task. But I think that disarming is somehow superior to kick and gripping/lightnings. I see it that way:

In order to make disarm effective, make picking saber up a bit harder and time consuming. (3-5 seconds?) Sometimes it just gets instantly picked up.

In order to make kick and force lightning/push/pull effective, speed up the attack I mentioned in the previous post.

In order to make force grip more effective, let the gripper not be pushed/pulled for, say, 2-3 seconds. I forgot to mention this one before. Now pressing F1 for me is just an instant reaction to being gripped.

It should be quite ok.

Now for those bug tickets - am I supposed to post them there? Not sure if I understood it good. Ah and I'll check out the new version in coming days.

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

Hey.

After the spin arounds got sped up, abusing them is possible. You can chain spins when bouncing from one's defense indefinitly, and now it's really fast and deadly. During the duels I noticed that if you got a successful spin spam you basically win. As a solution I'd limit the possible spins chained to two.

"They only happen when you don't parry well enough."

I'll do more research then and post back.

"While it looks like the staff moves might be faster or slower, they are the same speed. Really!"

I never mentioned staff..

I just had some fights and took a closer look on those spins.

Indeed they are breakable. I could block them quite easily. Mind that I was hosting.

Now with ping it's a whole different story. Those quick spins take dp down with great speed especially when you're low on skill points. Parrying them gets very hard with network delay.

Imo they are way superior to normal transisions, in terms of speed and threat, and the difference between them should be smaller. We fought without multiple spins, and it was just plain funnier and thats the point.

I won't insist on changing it though. Just remember about the ping issue, which gets noticable when combat gets that fast.

I think the problem here is that because spins were made faster, now people that used to always just walk backwards would have problems because now there are viable combos that attack the lower region. Well, that would just be a problem for those who do not know how to parry anyways, not a problem to someone such as myself. I see nothing wrong with them because you could just as easily parry them as you can any other attack which stops the combo just as it would stop any other combo. Also, ping issues AFFECT EVERYTHING, lets not pretend that it is exclusive to just parrying a specific combo because it is not. If you have bad ping, it will be more difficult to parry in general, just like it would be more difficult to get head shots in Counter Strike if you have a ping of 200 than it would if you had a ping of 50 o.O

Archived