Home

The college thread

This thread is meant for talking about college. If you have been to college or are in college now, read on.

I want to know what you think about college. I'm not talking about partying or meeting people, or any of that, I am just talking about the classes. I have to say, I hate it. There is nothing but an endless amount of work that couldn't be about more boring things. What do you guys think? I am especially interested in hearing from anyone who LIKES college. So...anyone?

Guest Rogue 9

I work on Computers all day at work and I goto Computer Classes at School, I Like college... biggrin.gif

------------------

Leader of 3 Flight

IAN_CDT_Rogue9, RA_Rogue9

Guest guildenstern

I've been in college, and am now in university. I've gotta say I agree with you, Keyan. The work is definitely endless, and there is too much to sanely do in the amount of time you are given.

I'm surprised I haven't had a nervous breakdown yet, but I guess there is still a month of classes left...

Guest emupiett

Actually, I don't think it is too bad. Yeah, there is a lot of work, but I really enjoy th e fact that we get to plan our own schedules, decide what to do with our own time (the freedom, basically). I also do kind of enjoy my classes as well because I'm a music major and enjoy any kind of music class.

------------------

"Intensify forward firepower!!"

Originally posted by Keyan Farlander:

What do you study?

I am currently studying business, sorta. I WANT to go to culinary school, but can't till after next year cause I have an apt lease in town here.......I also woudl love to take some programming classes but they never seem to fit my schedule....

Guest Fondas

Would you please do me a favour ?

Since I don't know how does the US educational system work, please explain the difference of college and university

Well, Fondas, they CAN be the same here. But "college" can refer to a 2-year school as well. "University" refers to a 4-year school (as can "college"). Obviously you don't have to finish either in that amount of time, but most people do.

emupiett - I am so envious! I would give my right arm to be a music major (well, probably not, since then I couldn't play anything smile.gif) What do you study?

Guest emupiett

Fondas, also Universities usually mean that there are a bunch of schools for different subjects there, as well.

Keyan, I'm studying music composition. I also play the trombone. I want to be a film scorer, though.

------------------

well, call me crazy if you want, but i love college. granted, i've only actually been in college since January, thanks to my little bout with mono, but i really like it. some of my classes are a lot of work, and some of them i don't really like, but overall i'm very happy to be in school again. i mean, i get to look at smelly bacteria under a microscope! what could be better? rolleyes.gifbiggrin.gif

------------------

If you live to be a hundred, i hope i live to be a hundred minus one so i never have to live without you!

SkirtPower@hotmail.com

Official Forum Chick

Yeah - you're crazy smile.gif

Really though, it's nice to see somebody who enjoys her studies. I wish I could get into computer engineering like that, but it really is pretty boring. And maybe it's my imagination, but it seems like my profs ENJOY tormenting us. He gives us a piece of paper with an huge, elaborate circuit drawn on it. He says to find the voltages and currents across every branch of the circuit. I say, "It would take me 2 hours to figure that out!" He smiles and says, "You have 50 minutes - begin." AAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Guest emupiett

Hey Keyan, about sending you some stuff I wrote. . . Do you have any musical notation software? I want to send you some things but want to know if I should make them Midis.

------------------

I have some pretty boring classes, but there are enough that are quite interesting. One of my subjects, introduction to space technology, is given by 5 different teachers. Then it's easy to see that the quality of the classes strongly depends on the quality of the teacher.

For the school project I'm currently working on (with 6 fellow students) we had to determine the orbit deviations of a geostationairy satellite, caused by perturbation forces from the solar pressure and solar gravity. We had to write a simulation program in Fortran 90 that calculates those deviations. Can you imagine? Fortran 90! All the formulas we needed were neither just given, nor were we told where we could find them. We were supposed to find them all by ourselves. The report of this project has to be finished on Tuesday. That I've had kind of the same AAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! experience is easy to understand.

Done with college. Had a good time for the most part. There were moments of high stress that kinda sucked. I too went to a music school (in Boston, rhymes with another prestegious school on the other coast near San Fran)Learned some stuff, made some friends, left with some contacts. That's really the best anybody can expect out of college in my opinion. If you manage to get more than that out of your time, then you are really doing well for yourself. I think most people come to school with expectations set too high (or for some of the die-hard party-animals, too low) If you can learn how to learn, and figured out what you want to be when you grow up, then you've gotten everything you can hope to out of our educational system. That my two cents (far more than what it's worth, actually)But I thought you might like to hear the prespective of someone who's been away from it for a while.

Guest emupiett

I have Encore.

Excellent! That is the one I have as well.

------------------

Originally posted by emupiett:

Excellent! That is the one I have as well.

Well, send me some stuff!

graye@erols.com

I'd send you some of mine, but I lost it all in a virus attack last year. I have them printed, but haven't gotten around to entering them back into my computer yet. Maybe I'll compose something new over spring break...

I had MS Studio and insterted random symbol-thingies(I don't even know what they're called, much less what they mean) and it sounded pretty sweet biggrin.gif

Recently, I've started getting letters from some liberal arts colleges in New York(?!) asking me to join their newsletter.

------------------

Was I supposed to eat the heads too? 'Cause I took nooo prisioners!

Once again, evil is defeated through the use of decorative agricultural technology!

Official forum Psychic

Well, Fondas, they CAN be the same here. But "college" can refer to a 2-year school as well. "University" refers to a 4-year school (as can "college"). Obviously you don't have to finish either in that amount of time, but most people do.

These days its a bit different as I understand it.........

College is more like a LAS school...where University is a full school with more than one college in it. Like Engineering, Law, buisness, las...

Archived