Home

my apology

Nute Gunray

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our species is omnivorous. That means we're not only predators, but also gatherers. Our curiosity is one of the main motivators for the advancement of our civilization. Advances on the field of philosophy are in general not to be expected in times of total war. Most discoveries in physics take place when scientists have the freedom to research. Again, they usually do not have that in wartime.

I think our animal passions are nowadays answered to by means of sports, junk food, economic competition and free pr0n on the net. wink.gif

During war, of course, because there's always war somewhere on this world. But most advancements did not take place because of war. Some examples.

Quantum physics was developed at the beginning of last century - before WWI.

The development of CD's, videorecorders and TV weren't started because of war.

The theory of gravity has no use for an army.

Ovidius wrote his Metamorphosis during the Pax Romana.

The wheel existed before the chariot.

Guest Zoom Rabbit

I think the human instinct for conflict is best resolved with videogames! wink.gif

*(Goes and blows up star destroyers.)*

Guest Zoom Rabbit

Note: I believe it's been said before, quite accurately, that necessity is the mother of invention. The curiosity of the researching scientist can be seen as fulfilling the scientist's need to do so. Sometimes those necessities are related to war, and sometimes they are not.

Why do you guys keep trying to resolve the universe in black and white when it's all gray? wink.gif

[This message has been edited by Zoom Rabbit (edited March 02, 2001).]

A little message from N00T:

Originally posted by Gold leader:

Yes they were. CDs were for storing huge amounts of information, mainly satellite photographs, in a small area. Videorecorders are descendants of camera pods on fighters. Television was developed for the radio transmission of recon photos.

Artillery shells. nuff said.

The preceding has been a message from the n00tz0r. <font size=1>

[This message has been edited by Tek Gunner (edited March 02, 2001).]

Guest Rogue 9

Originally posted by Gold leader:

Quantum physics was developed at the beginning of last century - before WWI.

Television was developed from a combination of EMR and Radio Technology, both used in military applications first

and

The theory of gravity is used rather heavily by the military Airforce anyone

Originally posted by Tek Gunner:

Artillery shells. nuff said.

Catapults existed long before Newton. They were pretty accurate already. Armies don't use scientific theories, they use the result of those theories. Most theories were not especially developed for warfare. That was the point I was trying to make.

Yes they were. CDs were for storing huge amounts of information, mainly satellite photographs

As far as I can recall, Philips (the electronics company) engineers developed the CD as a medium for music, and it took some time before the CD was used to store data like satellite photographs.

Here's some info about the history of the CD, which proves me right.

Originally posted by Rogue 9

The theory of gravity is used rather heavily by the military Airforce anyone

As I've said above, armies don't use the theories, they use their result. Langley, the Wright bros. and other aviation pioneers had absolutely no idea of the military importance of aeroplanes.

Originally posted by Tek Gunner

Roofle, Gold leader was OWNZ0RED twice !!

One icon: tongue.gif

smile.gif

<font size=-3>

[This message has been edited by Gold leader (edited March 03, 2001).]

Didn't someone say that MOST inventions were made during war? You are pointing out the few that weren't (if you're even completly right), so thats not proving anything. MOST were, SOME were not, smart ass. We don't need you to examine every post. kthxbye

[This message has been edited by Tek Gunner (edited March 03, 2001).]

SOME were, MOST weren't, not-so-smartass. Which inventions were made during the Vietnam war, thanks to that war? And the Gulf war? The War of Independence? I can only think of some examples concerning WWI and II. But even radar existed before WWII.

[This message has been edited by Gold leader (edited March 04, 2001).]

Guest Zoom Rabbit

My $.02, broken down again:

War/invention ratio irrelevant. Wars happen. Inventions happen.

If we never had wars, we would still invent things. If we had never invented stuff, we would still have wars.

You could argue I suppose that a lot of inventions are put to use in wartime. This is because we put all our cards on the table and get really inventive when it comes to defending our own hides. biggrin.gif In WW2, for example, radar was developed very quickly as it was a determining factor in the war's outcome...but the discovery of radio or its application in detecting objects in space had nothing to do with war. Same with nuclear technology and nerve gas.

We do have this cultural notion that war spurs the advancement of technology, and it is simply because us silly apes are still looking for the 'bigger stick.' biggrin.gif We are also looking for easier, yummier food...and a lot of our technology has been tied to pursue those goals through history as well. Refrigeration, the stove, the microwave...all advances in search of culinary excellence.

But no one would suggest that mankind's inventive nature is helped by hunger. wink.gif

------------------

'It takes forty-seven muscles to frown...but only two to pull the trigger.'

Originally posted by Zoom Rabbit:

but the discovery of radio or its application in detecting objects in space had nothing to do with war. Same with nuclear technology and nerve gas.

Ok, all nuclear technology is a direct result of war. The first nuclear reactors were built/designed not to make power(bi product) but to make Pu239 and U235, to be used in what?

NUCLEAR WEAPONS.

computers developed=cold war tech race with russians

Guest Rogue 9

oh yes and the most important invention in the world (next to computers that is) the microwave was discovered by mistake while a researcher worked with a radar, a technology whose whole purpose was military at the beginning, also GPS was purely military at the start, as was the Jeep which we all know is one of the best vehicles in the world(<FONT SIZE=1>OK, so thats my opinion</FONT> but the point stands Military research is reponsible for many medical advances, transportation advances and many things we take for granted as a household object.

Guest Zoom Rabbit

Nuclear weapons: the theories and research behind nuclear weapons technology was underway long before the war gor rolling...

Radar: The original discovery was when ships passed through a harbor next to some big city, the radio signals were being bounced back. It is interesting to note that an experimental radar array was in place in Hawaii when the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor; the array even picked up the aproaching planes, but it wasn't then being used in a military capacity.

No black, no white. Just gray. biggrin.gif Y'all need a good dose of zen!

------------------

'I can fly. I'm a pilot.'

--Drunk dude in Independence Day

Guest Rogue 9

they had several other indications that an assualt was planned but because of the peace talks going on with Japan, Americans assumed they would not attack us, maybe in world war III the Brits will bail US out instead of the way its been the previous two times

Archived