Home

Jedi Types [***SPOILERS***]

Beast-Thrasher

Anyway, I just wanted to illustrate my point. If someone considers Anakin Skywalker a Jedi Guardian then that is their prerogative. I just don't see the logic in taking something designed for an RPG and applying it to the movies.

Thank you for making this observation. Many don't.

The RPG classes added to the characters from the movies are only done so in the case that some might use them in their personal RPG. But they are not to be taken as their actual class; simply because the RPG classes do not exist in the 'real' SW universe.

I always thought that:

Dorak: Consular

Zhar: Guardian

Vandar: Sentinel

Vrook: Consular

And the K2 Masters were:

Atris: Consular

Vash: Sentinel

Kavar: Guardian

Zez-Kai-El: Guardian

If Revan were to ever have an establishes class, Sentinel/Watchman would be best. Malak was obviously Gaurdian.

RedHawke or someone else with extensive background and knowledge of RP would be more suited to elaborate on this but the way I see it RP character classes were introduced to vary the game experience, to provide balance in the game by having characters with strengths AND weaknesses, thereby encouraging working with other characters that had strengths in the areas where your character was weak. But when telling a story via a medium like movies the same rules don't necessarily apply. Apples and oranges. :)

You are quite correct. :)

Remember folks RPG's are meant to be a way for us to play a character or role in the source materials 'universe', be it a Fantasy, SUperhero, Sci-Fi, etc. RPG systems have to deviate from the source materials to achieve something called game balance. D20 Star Wars deviates quite a bit from the source materials to allow the Star Wars universe to be depicted in its very confining game system, this is the problem here.

See, this is where I think people go astray. :) I just don't think it makes much sense to apply character classes used in KotOR to SW movie characters. Where has an authoritative SW figure (e.g. George Lucas) stated that Anakin Skywalker was a Jedi Guardian? If this has happened somewhere then I would appreciate someone showing me where. I would be surprised if it has.

*sigh*

Where has an authorative SW/KOTOR figure stated that Malak was a guardian? Still, I believe we can assume he was. Of course, this is speculation, but I cannot see how speculation about a movie should be worse than speculation about a game ...

Anakin excelled in lightsaber combat, agreed? He was rash and fearlessly charged into the fight. So yeah, then he must have been a Jedi Guardian since they are the combat-focused class.

But wait, Anakin was also a skilled pilot and built/fixed droids, pod racers, etc. so then he must have been a Jedi Sentinel as they are the skills-focused Jedi class.

Hold on a sec, wasn't Anakin really strong in the Force with a midichlorian count higher than even Master Yoda? Anakin's ability to use the Force far outpaced most of the other Jedi of his time. So then of course he must have been a Jedi Consular since they are the force-focused class.

Like I said in my earlier posts, the "class" of a jedi is IMO less determined by his skill than by his attitude. Would you say that Yoda was a guardian because he was the swordmaster of the jedi order? (at least this seems to be what the Ani-Obi-conversation in Ep2 indicates). I do not think so.

If Anakin had done the test you do in KOTOR, judging from his attitude I am pretty sure he would have ended up as a guardian, so, in my eyes, he is a "guardian", even if this class does not exist as a title in the movies.

*sigh*

Where has an authorative SW/KOTOR figure stated that Malak was a guardian? Still, I believe we can assume he was. Of course, this is speculation, but I cannot see how speculation about a movie should be worse than speculation about a game ...

I think it was pretty obvious he was a guardian. The fact that he was a brute kind of pointed to it. And he also used a guardian-only ability (Force Jump).

Guardians still use discression for when to use their abilities. They use diplomacy as much as possible.

Negotiation with a lightsaber...

Well, since NPCs are not created with the same rules as with PCs they don't need to be min-maxed for the highest bonus. So yes even guardians can be nice and wise.

Archived