Home

Various problems...

Chris]#

I have a few problems I dunno how to solve, so I'm asking for help here.

Here goes...

1. i tried that antialiasing stuff but when i do it the screen goes flcikery and the characters dissapear. When i turned it up more i just got this:

acidtrip2.jpg

(sorry about the small size of the image, but sucky photobucket resized it for me)

help! Its an acid trip gone horribly wrong! Seriously though, i really would appreciate any help on getting this antialiasing nonsense to work properly so i can have some nice smooth edges.

2. I know there must be a way to make the game look nicer..perhaps turning up the game's resolution? But i can't seem to do that. But I'm sure its possible on my computer to get the game to look better than this example of manny's pixelated mess of a face in a screenshot I took:

manny.jpg

3. I seem to be having a keyboard problem. I remember playing the game and being able to turn Manny while he's running. Now whenever I try to do that he just stops running and walks. Not that serious, but it sure is annoying.

And finally, sometimes when the characters are moving(e.g in a conversation) they start going into some kind of spasm. I can't describe it, but they just shake really quickly and its really annoying.

I never remember having any of these problems when I've played the game last, even though that was some time ago and I've got a new screen since then but I don't see how that could make much of a difference.

Any help with these problems would be greatly appreciated. Sorry if these problems have turned up here before, but i hope you can appreciate how dull it is sifting through pages and pages of threads.

Oh, and if its any help, I'm running the game on windows XP. I do't know what my processor is, but my graphics card is an nvidia geforce 3.

Did you use RivaTuner to set it to 2x2? The problem is that pretty much every Nvidia card since the Geforce 2 does anti-aliasing the "wrong" way for Grim Fandango, so using any of the available modes will wreck it in various different ways. The only one that seems to be accepted is 2x2.

If you haven't already, get RivaTuner as I described in that thread and then force it into 2x2. If 2x2 doesn't work (though it should), you could always try the rest. Perhaps I will need to modify my sticky depending on which Nvidia series you're using, however I don't have a Geforce 3 so I cannot test myself.

As for your textures looking a bit scrabby, it only looks like that for me if I don't run Grim in hardware accelerated mode. To fix this you just need to go into Grim's options menu and then click on hardware acceleration. It will then use your graphics card instead of your CPU to render the 3D.

The keyboard issue can be solved by activating num lock.

As for the speedy characters, that is a bug that's grounded in computers having gotten a lot faster since Grim came out, and because of the way the code was written this has resulted in things going far too quickly. A patch was released which you can find on the website to resolve this, which cuts it down to an almost non-existant state (with the exception of a few isolated instances).

Once the museum-ized version of the GFN rolls around I will be putting all these common Grim issues into an easy to digest area, but hopefully this post will help you out.

Did you use RivaTuner to set it to 2x2? The problem is that pretty much every Nvidia card since the Geforce 2 does anti-aliasing the "wrong" way for Grim Fandango, so using any of the available modes will wreck it in various different ways. The only one that seems to be accepted is 2x2.

If you haven't already, get RivaTuner as I described in that thread and then force it into 2x2. If 2x2 doesn't work (though it should), you could always try the rest. Perhaps I will need to modify my sticky depending on which Nvidia series you're using, however I don't have a Geforce 3 so I cannot test myself.

As for your textures looking a bit scrabby, it only looks like that for me if I don't run Grim in hardware accelerated mode. To fix this you just need to go into Grim's options menu and then click on hardware acceleration. It will then use your graphics card instead of your CPU to render the 3D.

The keyboard issue can be solved by activating num lock.

As for the speedy characters, that is a bug that's grounded in computers having gotten a lot faster since Grim came out, and because of the way the code was written this has resulted in things going far too quickly. A patch was released which you can find on the website to resolve this, which cuts it down to an almost non-existant state (with the exception of a few isolated instances).

Once the museum-ized version of the GFN rolls around I will be putting all these common Grim issues into an easy to digest area, but hopefully this post will help you out.

Do you run Grim on windows Xp too? Because when I used to play it on windows 98 on my old pc turning on hardware acceleration actually worked. But not in XP.

Yeah, I use XP. Hardware acceleration works fine for me.

I guess you could try running it in 95 or 98 compatibility mode (right click the executable -> properties -> compatibility) to see if it helps, but I've never actually heard of it not working for somebody purely because they're using Windows XP. :(

Yeah, I use XP. Hardware acceleration works fine for me.

I guess you could try running it in 95 or 98 compatibility mode (right click the executable -> properties -> compatibility) to see if it helps, but I've never actually heard of it not working for somebody purely because they're using Windows XP. :(

I tried those compatibility modes, but it had no effect :(

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm.

Maybe you could see if there are any signed drivers on the Windows Update site. They might be a few years old, but not as old as Grim Fandango.

I remember experimenting with AA on Grim a while back, and could only get nice looking results by reverting to the Signed drivers.

I have a problem too, maybe someone can help......

My graphics for GF work beautifully, but my main gripes with running GF on XP have to do with sound. As I play, my sound will occasionally decide to freeze up and me and the way to resolve this issue, is to restart the game.

I have all the latest drivers and am using BigBenny's GF launcher.....any suggestion?

Archived