Home

Death Penalty

Guest Rogue 9

would you people still think life imprisonment was enough had say Hitler lived through the war...

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Originally posted by Nute Gunray:

Or think of this: you damage someone's property so they make you pay back damages on it to whatever the value of the property was. So you destroy someone's life so you have to pay back something of equal value. What's equal to someone's life? ANOTHER LIFE, I.E. YOURS.

1. So your saying that if you killed my brother, it would be right for me to break in to your house and put a bullet in your head?

2. The Catholic Church does NOT support the death pentalty.This goes for other religions as well.It teaches it in the Bible.In fact, it is one of the most importent things that the Bible teaches us. I hear all this from my religion teacher from back in Catholic school and from petitions in my church. Its either your making stuff up or your church is screwed.

um, yes the Church does.

I heard it on TV yesterday. AND, being Catholic, I had heard that already somewhere.

No, you can't do that because then YOU murdered someone. States and Nation-States can execute people because they aren't people and can't MURDER. MURDER is different than KILLING and EXECUTING.

1. The Death penalty means the ending of a life. I believe it is wrong.

2. I don't people should take pleasure in watching someoe die.

3. If it has to be done, it should be as painless as is possible.

I'm glad it was abolished in the U.K

"The just use of (executions), far from involving the crime of murder, is an act of paramount obedience to this (Fifth) Commandment which prohibits murder." Pope (and Saint) Pius V, "The Roman Catechism of the Council of Trent" (1566). Referring to that Catechism, Catholic scholar Father James Reilly, M.S. notes that "From the time of St. Paul until today this has always been the official teaching of the Catholic Church and only the Holy See or a General Counsel has the authority to change it. The curious thing is that those Catholics who have repeatedly condemned capital punishment and have, often, apparently at least, declared it immoral, never refer to that passage from the Roman Catechism. It may be that they are unaware of it, but such ignorance is, in my opinion, inexcusable." (Haven Bradford Gow, "Religious Views Support The Death Penalty", The Death Penalty: Opposing Viewpoints, Greenhaven Press, 1986, p. 82 ).

I think people should see the death not because of entertainment, but what good does it do to have it behind a closed door. Make the public see what the punishment is for crime.

------------------

"Dulce bellum inexpertis."

(Sweet is war to those who have never experinced it.) Roman Proverb

Guest Jabba The Hunt

ok first -

1.NO

2.NO

3.NO

anyone who thinks him wrong go here http://www.startrek.com/library/episodes_voy_detail.asp?ID=114420

ok problem of keeping them fed fine - make them work so that the government can produce money (let them make things in the jails) then they produce the stuff government sells stuff makes profit and pays for there upkeep

killing people because they killed is wrong whatever they have done

------------------

Official Forum Newbian

jabbathehunt@hotmail.com

Originally posted by JR2000Z:

I dont care what your TV says Nute.Its never right.

Go personly ask a priest if the death pentalty is wrong and tell me what he said.

I'm afraid Nute is correct. Capital punishment is not "wrong" as far as the Catholic Church is concerned. However, Nute, the reason you find a general Catholic opposition to it is because the Catholic belief on what happens to you when you die is that it only matters what the state of your soul is at the time of your death. So, it is a very grave matter to send someone to hell (possibly) if they have a chance, no matter how small, of repenting later on. Also (and this is a big also), the anti-death penalty position of the pope and the Church in a way has not much to do with the death penalty itself, but with fighting the "culture of death" in general. It is far more effective and less confusing to oppose it on every level instead of picking out specific things (such as abortion and euthanasia) and dealing with them individualy.

Guest Rogue 9

that episode of voyager was correct, to put the fate of an individual in the hands of the victims family is incorrect, especially if that person can get out of all punishment by simply paying the family in a settlement. I agree it may not be the best but its what we've got, now if we could just start dumping them on unihabited islands again we'd be doing better. smile.gif

Guest Rogue 9

...is based on a principle called "Vekto Valek K'Vadim" — ancient Nygean for "Favor the Victims" — by which the victim's family dictates the convict's sentence. He also learns that if a defendant is wealthy enough, he can negotiate a monetary settlement with the family rather than serve a sentence...

here's the flaw in that system.

I've been looking into it and there's quite a bit of support for the death penalty strategically placed in the Bible. Keyan is also quite right about lumping all death based bits together in the church.

something interesting i noted was that either St. Paul or Peter (can't remember which) said execution isn't judgement. It's speeding someone on their way to GOD for ULTIMATE judgement if they were guilty or not.

Guest Jabba The Hunt

my point wasnt about the family deciding it was about the fact that the death penelty is wrong killing people makes you just as bad as them

------------------

Official Forum Newbian

jabbathehunt@hotmail.com

1: no

2: no

3: imprisonment will do

C'mon people, do you really think you are morally superior because you take someone's life to punish him? Is executioning "better" than murdering? No matter what reason there is behind it, the act of taking one's life still is despicable and nowadays unnecessary.

Not executing the criminal is a slap in the victim's family's face. Their family member is dead but the guy that did it's still alive. An example is ol' Charlie Manson with his life+forever sentence. The families of his victims are STILL trying to get his life sentence turned into a death sentence because they can't stand him still being alive after what he did to their family members.

I repeatedly keep noticing that people lump "killing" and "murder" into the same meaning, when they are decidedly different. Once again, the Bible says there's a difference. The original translations of the Ten Commandments said the one (forgot number) is "Thou shalt not commit murder" not thou shalt not kill."

Kill: executions, self-defense, and warfare

Murder: Me shooting you in face just because

Guest Jabba The Hunt

yeah so you agree with the prenciple in star trek

------------------

Official Forum Newbian

jabbathehunt@hotmail.com

The thing is though that the family doesn't decide if the person gets the death penalty but a jury does.

I have come to my opions after looking at a hypothetical question. What punishment would I want to be placed on a criminal if they killed say my mother.

------------------

"Dulce bellum inexpertis."

(Sweet is war to those who have never experinced it.) Roman Proverb

Guest Rogue 9

in the cas eof that hypothetical, I would probably strip about 3 foot of copper into the open on an extenstion cord, plug it in and beat the freak that perpetrated the crime...

Disclamer: this was used by the KGB, It Does Work, Don't try it at Home, or School, or Work

<FONT SIZE=1>

[This message has been edited by Rogue 9 (edited May 15, 2001).]

Archived