Home

Death Penalty

There was a law in medival times that stated, "An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth." While I don't agree completely with this theory, it makes sense as far as punishment goes... If some guy beats the living crap out of me, personally, I'd much rather have the chance to kick the $hit out of him than see him get a 6 month jail sentence with a year's probation. He'd just use the time to think about how he was gonna hurt me worse... But I digress. I also think that the death penalty should only be used in cases where there is an extremly high chance of the inmate re-offending, such as Paul Bernardo (who, with the help of his girlfriend Karla Homolka, raped, strangled, cut up into little pieces, and threw into a river two young women, Leslie Mahaffy and Kristen French I believe). I, on the other hand, do not think that Mr. McVeigh will re-offend, but I'm actually unsure as to whether I think he deserves the death penalty, or if he should serve some time and be set free to have a second chance... I think what he had was a temporary personality shift. Everything I've read about him said that he was "the scrawny kid next door" who could never do something like that... And the way he keeps referring to the whole bombing like it was a military operation just helps to prove my point.

------------------

The crazy f*cker was jerking off 10 times a day...

10 times a day, at LEAST...

They sent him to the Navy head shrinkers and the crazy bastard starts jerking off in the waiting room...

-Full Metal Jacket

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, that's nowhere's near when I'm saying... What I'm saying is that I don't think he was in full possession of his faculties when he started planning it. I don't think he's in full possession of his faculties now... Personally, I think this is just one more American snapping because of some incident that affects him personally. McVeigh just didn't snap in the traditional insane postal worker sense... He fell back to his armed forces service instincts. He had a mission to fufill, so he did it to the best of his abilities. Hence his use of the term "collateral damage" when referring to the children that were killed. The man is quite obviously 51 cards short of a deck, but with time, prison, and therapy, he should be able to return to a normal lifestyle... I believe that the death penalty should only be used on the truly evil. I do not believe that Timothy McVeigh is an evil man, and that my reasoning behind that.

------------------

The crazy f*cker was jerking off 10 times a day...

10 times a day, at LEAST...

They sent him to the Navy head shrinkers and the crazy bastard starts jerking off in the waiting room...

-Full Metal Jacket

Guest garyah99

Originally posted by Rogue 9:

would you people still think life imprisonment was enough had say Hitler lived through the war...

As I said iin my first post "solitary confinement". I've spent a few days in complete solitude ona survival course and believe me after about 5 days with absolutely NO human contact, you go a little nuts. I think this would be a punishment WORSE than death.

I cannot condone taking a life. Solitary confinement for life with all to do is to think about what you've done and the innocent you murdered seems far worse to me. And if people see executions "as a reminder", we're no better than dictators of the past who did that sort of thing to keep the populace in line.

Originally posted by Deac:

we're no better than dictators of the past who did that sort of thing to keep the populace in line.

Oh yes, because we execute ONE guy because he blew up 168 that makes us just as bad as Hitler or Mao or Pol Pot who killed millions for no real reason...

I see where those against the Death Penalty are going even if we didn't have capital punishment. I don't think we should have let Hitler or any other lead Nazi live. I think sometimes you have to take a life for payment of all the lives the criminal took.

------------------

"Dulce bellum inexpertis."

(Sweet is war to those who have never experinced it.) Roman Proverb

Originally posted by Nitro:

There was a law in medival times that stated, "An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth."

Even before that.

That exact quote (well, not in English, obviously rolleyes.gif ) comes from Hammurabi's code. Hammurabi was a Mesopotamian (possibly Babylonian, it's been a while) king who created the first ever organized & coherent law code.

I'd like to think human society has advanced since then, but I know better. frown.gif

------------------

"Do fish-people eat fish, or would that be like humans eating monkeys?"

"Humans do eat monkeys. In fact humans eat other humans. . . Y'know, as a species, we are really quite unpleasant."

I do feel that you have a point. But I don't think they should be "Examples" of breaking the law. People should know what is right and what is wrong. they should know that wrongdoers are punished.

But maybe sometimes, it is neccissary to kill a dictator, like Hitler. He may have been sprung loose. That would have been a bad thing. But people should NEVER TAKE PLEASURE OR MAKE ANYONE'S DEATH PAINFUL AND HORRIFIC, IF EXECUTION MUST HAPPEN!

Archived