Home

LAN Game? Impossible!?

Boba-Ramp

It seems there's a serious bug in Empire at War ... my dad and myself wanted to play a game of EaW through a LAN network but we couldn't see each other in the lobby.

We tried everything , shutting down Firewals , enabling / disabling uPnP but to no avail. In a game like C&C : Generals we would just wait in the lobby and get on with it ... but this time , nothing happens.

WTH is wrong?

Duplicate CD-keys?

Eh? Help plz

Re-Copy the XML files to double check and make sure. If this again doesnt work there is an error with your hub or router. I would suggest first restarting the router and seeing if that helps. If one of you is using a wireless connection, try plugging into the hub/router via Ethernet chord. See if that helps.

No, pop, i have a Speedtouch 510 (4 ports switch) with UPnP and NAT enabled. We can play other LAN game normally. As for the XMLs, i personally placed them on both computers, they are the exact same XMLs till the final line...

And the weird is that:

1. Xfire will NOT see EaW in our computers (tried to play through XFire since LAN didnt work)

2. I can directly connect in EaW Internet game, through EaW console, but my brother cant! He gets a "Internet Account Error: [Missing]"

Some help people.... :(

Tomorow ill try open a port, but i bet this won't work either.

Well, as pop said, i had to remove my modified files (XML and ART folders) and the game worked perfectly. Yet, i want to play with the modified files in LAN, why this is impossible?? Will be fixed anyway??

Since the files are exactly the same, there shouldn't be any conflict. Besides, one side of modding is the enhanced Multiplayer gaming, but currently the game won't let you play unless you have the 1.02 or generally an ofiicial version of the game!

Ok I fixed it. The problem was Windows SP2 ( The Firewall ) not allowing sweaw.exe to acces the Internet ( Network ). Strangly enough we "told" SP2 it should accept it.

We played the game with minor modified XML files for bigger Space & Land battles. Now can someone help me with the following?

- Add Kyle Katarn in space for Rebels

- Add the Venator for the Empire

- Add the V-WING for the Venator ( No buildable V-WINGS )

- Add the Death-Star for the Empire*

I really could use some help modding!

Boba, can you explain exactly what it is you did to get the game up-and-running? I have had the exact same problem - even when the firewall has been completely switched off on both machines. One of the machines can see both players in the lobby but the other doesnt. The physical connection seems to be fine with both machines able to 'see' each other for every other purpose (file sharing, internet access etc)

The really wierd thing is that is has actually worked - once. On about the third attempt to connect the machines saw each other with no problem, but it was a one off and they havent been able to see each other since.

Well ... I just switched off the Firewalls and made sure I put the .exe of SW:EAW in the Windows Exception List ( all programs in this list are allowed to go through the Firewall )

I just checked if my dad and I both had the same files in our EAW dir. I had the Lion Epic MOD and when I removed it we could both see each other.

When we started up our third game , we couldn't see each other in the LAN Lobby. Strange thing is , when my dad started typing I could see his text :p but not his name ...

• 5 weeks later...

Ok, saw where someone turned off their firewalls, but don't want to do that!!! But made me think. Checked the firewall logs, & sure enough, each firewall on each computer was blocking the other!!! So, I made an Advanced Rule in each of my firewall proggies giving full access to the static IP addresses I have for each of the computers. Works great now!!! I can see why in the past some games did not LAN quite right or had to use direct connect, ugh. As a veteran of building and programming computers since 1979, I now feel pretty stupid, duhhhhh. Well, in my defense, when I was a kid, we didn't have firewalls......... hhhahahahhahahahahaha.

IMHO

isepiq

• 1 month later...

I am also having this same problem: one computer can see both, but the other can only see itself. I cannot turn off that computer's firewall. Now, isepiq how can i make it like you did, with the giving full access to the IP addresses? how do i do that?

Archived