Home

A question for the informed among you...

Guest Thrawn

Most swords do acutally work (kind of hard for them not to.) The quality is always questionable.

Zoom I found a great looking Katana for 50 bucks biggrin.gif

------------------

"Dulce bellum inexpertis."

(Sweet is war to those who have never experinced it.) Roman Proverb

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Zoom Rabbit

*Cough!* 440 stainless *Cough!*

biggrin.gif

Aw, heck...I have five 440 stainless 'show swords' myself. They do just fine for yard work. smile.gif I do have one sword that really is worthless though as a weapon. It's a Denix replica of Peter the Great's sword of state, and the blade is untempered, dull, and has a rounded point. It bends at the slightest resistance--true crap, except as a wall hanging. rolleyes.gif

If it's your sword, though...your trusty bronde, I say springsteel, full-tang or better. biggrin.gif If you don't have to keep it oiled to prevent rust, then it's a stainless steel alloy (which, for the uninitiated, is too brittle to be used in a sword blade, which needs to be springy.) I could go on and on about tangs and mountings, but I won't.

*STOP! Dammit, the rabbit is hijacking the thread to swords again!* mad.gifwink.gif

Guest Thrawn

Ok people, to get it back on topic, here's one of the columns that I'm most proud of. Enjoy it, or die by my sword wink.gif

What I have to say may be shocking. Not since Watergate has there been such a revelation in or around our nation’s capital. This may come as a shock to some, but I feel it is my public duty to spread the knowledge. Traffic in our metro area is terrible. No, it really is true. The world’s leading scientists and statistical analysts have put their heads together, and with funding from the Pentagon of over three million dollars, have suggested that the cause behind all of the traffic problems are cars. Brilliant observation gentlemen, I applaud your keen senses of observation, and your mastering of the obvious.

As you cruise the beltway at your fast moving speed of 5 miles per hour, take notice of the scenery. Being trapped in a sea of cars can be extremely entertaining. Take notice of what people do as they drive. I have taken the time to observe and name these types of people myself, thus doing all of the hard work for you. Take this interactive (well, semi-interactive) guide with you on your next car trip. It’ll make the time fly!

First up, we have the average cell phone user (scientific name Talkius Mobilus). This lost soul is hopelessly trapped in their own little bubble of static. The phone itself is believed to be physically attached to the subject’s ear. However, no one has ever been able to get close enough to find out for sure, do to all of the radio waves that Talkius Mobilus is apparently immune to. Any normal person who comes into contact with that much radiation won’t have to worry about a nightlight.

As hard as it is to take your eyes away from subject number one, look around and I’m sure you’ll see the person who just can’t wait to start in on the extra value meal before they get to where they’re going (scientific name Cholestralis Physicalis). The mere scent of greasy food will send this driver into an irreversible trance. All logical impulses are blocked out as the stomach takes over the mind. Unfortunately, the stomach never bothered to pass its driver’s test. I’ll let you come to your own conclusions about this one.

Look a little harder, and you’re sure to find an exemplary specimen of Rockious Loudious. This creature has ears the size that would make Ross Perot jealous. They are needed to absorb all of the sound waves that are being produced from the THX 27 speaker surround sound system inside their car, which cost more than the car itself. They are so into the music that I doubt they even realize that they’re in a car. Getting close to the car, say within a five mile radius, will allow you to hear the music in all its glory as well.

What traffic jam would be complete without the makeup artist, also known as Revlonerous Coverous. This is generally a female subject. She is typically running behind schedule, and thus thinks she can save time by doing her makeup while she drives. Unfortunately, she has forgotten about the Mount Saints Helen’s sized pot holes that are so conveniently placed on the roads. So, the end product of her saving time is approximately a gallon of various wasted makeup and her looking like a clown. Not that she didn’t already look like one applying make up in a car.

So you see, you really don’t need government funding to do your own research. You can take a trip into the obvious anytime you want. Although if I were you, I wouldn’t use a car to get there.

------------------

"You'd have to use a ladder to rise to my level of crap!"

ThRaWn90,RAL_Thrawn,SOB_Thrawn

Rogue 6

um. that was horrible. wink.gif

very good work.

Zoom:

Of course I know that it is stainless steel, that is the only way it would possible cost that amount. (although the sword is still a work of art perfect for my 2 other Katanas. I want stainless steel so I don't have to do as much maintence on it, and although stainless makes a crappy blade for more then one stroke, it does look good against a wall.

I know full well about the tang, amount of spring. I agrue saying high carbon steel is the only way to go for a true sword. my practice sword is great, High carbon steel blade (I have it dull for sparring), a full tang, perfect balance.

Think Zoom, your talking to another person who loves swords, of course I know this stuff.

Also you should see the one I got as a gift from my Grandfather, He found it rusted over in a wall. Took me a year to make it presentable again.

[This message has been edited by Admiral (edited July 28, 2001).]

Guest Zoom Rabbit

Uhm, I was hoping you'd pick up on my use of the word 'uninitiated' there. You and I (maybe) are clearly in the initiated category. biggrin.gif

However, there are folx out there who honestly don't know any better. I was at the local pawn shop the other day and a guy came in with one of those plastic dragon-handled 'Highlanderesque' 440 SS wall swords, who insisted to the shop owner that it was a 'real' samurai sword for which he would accept no less than $100...

He was laughed out of the store. smile.gif I would spare others that embarrassment.

Threaughnn: interesting article. Myself, I've always thought we should take an idea from Star Wars and equip our vehicles with high-powered blasters like the speeders on Battle for Naboo. biggrin.gif'Eat plasma, droid!' Traffic jam? Hardly.

Guest Zoom Rabbit

*(Rereads, and something hits him.)*

Old sword in a wall? What kind? How old? Can you post a picture of it? smile.gif This sounds like a story I'd like to hear...

I must have missed that word Zoom. (I actually have a one of the Highlander swords, bought it on a whim, and on sale, a nice looking piece but that is it)

Anyways I shall now tell the story of the sword in the wall; Sorry at the moment I still haven't gotten around to taking pictures of my swords.

First I'll give a full description of the sword. It is a short sword, (I don't know the exact measurment), The blade is steel, and currently dull, but a nice point to it. The Cross Guard is extremly small barely covers your closed fist. The pommel is basically, if you can truely call it that is a small ball, not bigger then the grip, that screws the blade into place. The grip is metal, and has a picture of a suit of armor and to war axes on it. Due to the disign I believe the sword can be anywhere from 10-20 years old, hard to say, and I haven't had it estimated. It is obvious that the sword was made for only decoration purposes. The blade itself has a ful tang to it, screws into the pommel, on the blade itself, are black pits caused by rust, although no rust is on the blade now. The grip has shows signs of handling and age.I wish I had a picture beacuse it is truely a bueatiful sword.

Now on to the story of how it came into my possesion. My father went to Rhode Island two years ago to attend a funeral (I didn't go as I had school, and it wasn't a close realitive). At that time I was pondering purchasing my first sword. My father comes home a few days latter with a rusted piece of weapondry. I instanly fell in love with at that time a piece of rust that had the shape of a sword. I gathered from my father that my grandfather found it in the new house that they just moved into. Some ass, left it between the outer wall and some insallation. Finding it he gave it to me. I then proceed to remove teh sword from a metal scabbard. Luckily the scabbard protected the blade somewhat. Then comes a year of refurbishing. First to remove a lot of rust I use some chemicals. This takes about a week but now you can actually see some metal. Then begins the long process of sanding off the rust (I used an electric sander, that really helped.) Well, that took a long time. Finally I have a sword with character. With the different types of sand paper no scratch can be seen on it. Now comes time to polish the blade. After that is accomplished it showed like a stainless steel balde. Now after making a special hanger for it, the sword named Valor, hangs promently from my wall. I oil it about once a month to keep the rust off.

That is the story Zoom. Because of some idiot who doesn't know the value of a sword, I got my first one, and began a collection that now includes 2 katana (soon to be 3), 2 Bastard swords, 1 spear, 1 early claymore, 1 short sword, 1 dagger, 1 mace, and 1 spiked flail. I got pics of, the early claymore, one of the bastard swords, the mace, spear, dagger and spiked flail. (from the catalog I got them from). If you want Zoom, I can send you a file that shows what my collection will end up being.

------------------

Guest Zoom Rabbit

Interesting sword tale, Admiral. It sounds to me like it might be a society (or 'lodge') sword, possibly Masonic*...and probably older than 10-20 years (the steel is a clue--almost all modern show swords are stainless.) Hard to tell without seeing it, though. Was there evidence of etched designs on the flat of the blade? They would be present on just about every society sword.

Are there any pawnshops in your area? If you find one who knows about antique edged weapons, take it in and see what he thinks. Those guys are usually happy to tell you what an item is and what it's worth, even if you aren't selling. biggrin.gif

Claymore? Ach, laddie, noo why d'ye want a hoorse-killer like that one? wink.gif

*An armored knight is a frequent motif in Masonic sword furniture. The metal handle sounds out of place, though; they were ivory (in nineteenth-century examples) or later white resin, or painted wood. There would be a cross and possibly triangles worked into the design.

well I don't know of any pawn shops. and the Blade shows no markings.

The grip is very ornate, and the armor is a suit with out a person. I believe your right Zoom. that is it a society sword, made before stainless steel came around. All I can say is I now love it. Oh I decided to show some pics of some of the weapons I have.

The early claymore (birthday peresnt)

mrl1156.jpg

the flail

mrl1051.jpg

the mace (with the woden shaft.

mrl9593.JPG

Odin

mrl1035.jpg

Dagger

mrl1077.jpg

spear (the tall weapon).

mrl1158.jpg

[This message has been edited by Admiral (edited July 31, 2001).]

I can see your future Admiral... Young ruffian tried to rob a 7 eleven using medievel weapons, unfortuanetly he underestimated the clerk and found himself starring down the barrel of a shotgun

------------------

The Master at Pointing and Laughing

Guest Thrawn

*sigh*

Oh well, at least I have a flaming thread. It's been forever since I had one of those.

*sniff* My work just goes so unapreciated around here frown.gif

wink.gif

------------------

Rogue 6

Yup. I got that from Museum Replicas Limited.

I did some research and for good replica blades they produce the best and one that can be used. The blades are shipped dull unless you ask for them to put an edge on it.

go to

www.museumreplicas.com

the name of the sword they gave it is Medieval Sword. cost around 180.

------------------

Guest Thrawn

Women never cease to amaze me. Just when you think you have them figured out, they do something to throw you completely off track, and convince you that you know absolutely nothing, which of course is true. Let’s take a look at the unusual behavior of the strangest creature on Earth: modern woman.

Situation One (Male)

Two friends go out to a sporting event. They share in the emotions of the game. They witness the winner’s joy and the loser’s sorrow. After the game, the two men go their separate ways and don’t speak to each other for a while, as they go about their own lives. This seems normal, as there is nothing out of the ordinary.

Situation One (Female)

Two friends go out shopping together. They spend the day in the mall, spending the same amount of money as about the Gross National Product of Liechtenstein. After the mall, the two go their separate ways. Minutes pass; the women arrive at their homes. Immediately, one calls the other, and they talk for several hours.

Normal? I think not. What could possibly have happened in the minutes between going from the mall to their homes that could have provoke such a lengthy conversation? Don’t ask me, I’m a guy.

Situation Two (Male)

Two friends meet on the street. The conversation flows something like this:

Guy 1: Hey.

Guy 2: Hi.

Guy 1: *several grunts in a pattern*

Guy 2: *several grunts in response*

Guy 1: Yeah.

Guy 2: Ok.

Guy 1: Well, see ya.

Guy 2: Bye.

Situation Two (Female)

Two friends meet on the street. After wild screaming and jumping, the conversation flows something like this (Note: for full effect, please read after consuming a lot of caffeine or sugar):

Girl 1: Hi!Ohmyit’sbeensolongsinceI’veseenyou!

Girl 2: Girl!WherehaveyoubeenIhaven’tseenyouinforever!Howareyou?

Girl 1: I’mfine.MyboyfriendbrokeupwithmebutIrealizedthatIwasbetteroffwithouthim.

Girl 2: YougogirlmmmmhmmmmIknowhowthatis!

Hours pass and the two still remain talking as the sun goes down. I’m sorry to cut this conversation short, but my ears were beginning to bleed.

This has been an educational presentation designed to teach you absolutely nothing. I hope you have taken advantage of its full value. Now that you know absolutely nothing, I’m sure a woman will come along and change it all.

------------------

Rogue 6

Guest Zoom Rabbit

And they're always going to the restroom together! What's up with that?

Guys never do that. If we see someone we know in the restroom, suddenly we're strangers. rolleyes.gif

Why waste your time trying to figure out girls. just nod and agree with them.

I like it when they yell at you and when you ask them what is wrong they won't tell you.

------------------

Guest Thrawn

I have been slapped, hit by a purse, and generally beaten on by a pack of girls for saying hello to them collectively, instead of individually.

------------------

Rogue 6

Guest Thrawn

I have been slapped, hit by a purse, and generally beaten on by a pack of girls for saying hello to them collectively, instead of individually.

However, I have been immune to their fingernail "claw" attacks since I was scratched straight accross my chest. I still have the scars to prove it.

------------------

Rogue 6

Archived