Home

Your Favorate Forum Member is Back!

JR2000Z

Originally posted by Nute Gunray:

Exstrainious letters are a sign of european inefficiency.

A Guide to the Founding of a Nation - The American Way.

Step 1. Adopt the language of another country as your own.

Step 2. Forget how to spell all of the words.

Step 3. Ignore everyone who tells you that this is wrong.

[This message has been edited by MadPilot (edited August 26, 2001).]

Guest Jabba The Hunt

I dont want to alarm any of you people but Ruddster 2K1 is more commonly know as The Duke.

------------------

"Its Going down his leg i think we are going to have to amputate.

"No, dont take the leg, dont let them take the leg, they cant take the leg!!!"

"Its heading for his testicles"

"Take it, take the leg!!!"

jabbathehunt@hotmail.com

Apparently you're not familar with Webster's ideas for the English language. He removed all the useless letter from words to simplify them. He did it in the interest of EFFICIENCY.

My point stands. I did not say you spelled them incorrectly. I said they were inefficient, which they are. Why use a letter that doesn't affect the prounciation?

Nothing is efficient, but we OPTIMIZED it for more efficiency.

It's like putting...adding a GT2 decklid that to the 95 Porsche 911T that is the English language. I need to play Porsche Unleashed less.

Odd I used a German car in an odd analogy to a Germanic language

I make the point (*thinks*) at least twice, in separate WIPs, that the English language serves a truly unique (and necessary) purpose for the human race.

If you've ever tried to learn another language (or even if English is your second or third language), you'll find that languages have rules. In Irish, frex, mangling the grammar of a sentence will rob that collection of words of any meaning that it might have had, or maybe reverse it entirely.

Watch a Star Wars movie dubbed into any language, and note how Yoda speaks. Odds are he'll use proper grammar, speaking like a native _______-speaker, just with a gravelly voice. It's only in English that Lucas could get away with changing Yoda's grammar and still have his dialogue mean anything.

You could probably do the same with Jar Jar, now that I think of it, because many languages just don't have the "word-flexibility" for gungan futhork to be even as intelligible as it was to English-speakers.

English doesn't have rules; it has suggestions.

I think this is much more important than many people realize. English is like a non-language; it can assimilate ideas and concepts from any other language, making them accessible even if neither Speaker nor Listener has a "good" grasp of the language.

I believe that this sort of language is a necessary tool for a civilization.

In my fantasy stories, there's a lot of "really bad Latin" drifting around, because I think that Latin, in its day, would have served the same purpose as English does today. If you went back to ancient Rome, I'd be willing to bet that, despite what linguistics teachers say, you could play havoc with "proper" grammar and still be understood (at least by somebody).

In my far-future story, English becomes the "trade-language" of various aliens because it's easy to learn and flexible.

I'm not saying that English is an inherently superior language, of course, but that it plays by a different set of rules. If I could go back in time and change things, it's fully possible that French could have ended up like this (actually, it did, just not to the same extent).

------------------

"Don't f_ck with the Jedi Master, son." --Mark Hamill

Archived