Home

Its me, its me, R-u-d-d-y

Darth Jimbo

Valid points all Zoomie, but what I was refering to is that England (or rather the UK in general, including Ireland, Scotland, and Wales, among others) is a place where at least three belief systems (either actual cultures or just mythic stories) came together.

I've posted before about the Tuatha dé Danann (who came from the Middle East and circled through Scandinavia), but there're also the indigenous legends of the pre-celts, and any crossover from mainland Europe (the people who came to get away from Rome). This last group did to England what the Tibetans are doing to Nepal/India; they brought their cultures while they were fleeing the Romans ('course, they also ended up bringing the Romans along, so tongue.gif ).

It's also the only area "in" Europe that was able to survive the Roman expansion, and it was there that the Roman might first started to collapse. Remember that, while the Romans were building Hadrian's Wall to keep the barbarians out, the Scots were building it to keep the Romans in. wink.gif

Finally, it marks the only area where Christianity didn't try to completely obliterate the pagan beliefs; in fact, it adopted them. Sure, there were casualties (and St. Patrick apparently sealed a Hellmouth eek.gif ), but many of England's pagan communities managed to adroitly avoid any substantial Inquisition.

Originally posted by Nute Gunray:

Canadian Football League?

Yes, but we'll try anything once, eh? rolleyes.gif

------------------

"Don't f_ck with the Jedi Master, son." --Mark Hamill

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Originally posted by Zargon:

A) The top of the net isnt a goal.

B)Have you ever played OUR football? I know plenty of strong or large people that SUCK ASS.

C)How come you aren't the best at YOUR football, we are the best at OURS. Bayern Munich and Real Madrid OWN soccer.

D)I would just love to see someone score that goal you attempted to describe on a premiere league goalie.....now I saw Roberto Carlos hit on top shelf from 48 yards, he kicked the ball 88 mph.....now THATS amazing.

A = top of the net = phrase

B = i have actually played your football, and your tie that some people do suck ass, but most of them dont

C = Munich and Madird dont OWN football. english teams are re-merging. look at the liverpools and man uniteds, plus we have the maxiumium 4 teams in the Champion league

D = that goal was in the Coup de France, which involved france, england, brazil and italy (and we won that compo!!!)

Anyone that says american football is based solely on brute strength is a retard.

Look at running backs. Strength and even SPEED aren't important in that position. AGILITY and BALANCE are more important. A more agile target can out manuever a faster attack any day of the week.

That's just ONE position that doesn't require strength. Only linemen need sheer power.

THING I HATE ABOUT SOCCER: the overdramatics whenever someone is feigning injury. They roll around clutching whatever part of their body is supposed to be injured like a sniper just nailed them.

Guest Zoom Rabbit

My point exactly! When I see a soccer game on teevee, I see a bunch of foreign fairies prancing around in knee socks, kicking at the ball like it's a mouse and they're afraid of it.

I can't believe hooligans start riots over that game. rolleyes.gif Perhaps their unspoken need for violence hasn't been satiated...

Originally posted by Ruddster 2K1:

all you need in american football is brute strength.

Are you mental or are you not aware of the huge amount of strategy used in that sport?

My dad almost played with the Rough Riders in the Canadian Football League (CFL) he got an invitation to participate and join them during the training for an eventual contract (he was declared best player of Ontario and was simply the best tongue.gifbiggrin.gif )... But it just wasn't what he really wanted to do...

Anyways he teaches me loads of technics and strategic coaching stuff so I know and can tell you that it requires way more thinking than soccer.

Hey Flying Beastie, I heard the GeeGees footbal team won this year, are you happy? I know I wouldn't care wink.gif

And my brother told me that the thing they yell when they win is so pathetic...

<font size=1>

[This message has been edited by Jem (edited September 01, 2001).]

Guest Zoom Rabbit

Bring those dudes over for a round of American (or Canadian) football, if they can find shoulder pads and athletic cups small enough to fit 'em, and we'll squish 'em for ya on world-wide teevee...

Popcorn anyone? wink.gif

Cricket! what kind of a sport is that!!

I've watch a bit of it many times for the only purpose of dealing with the agonizing curiosity that is in me to find out how the hell it is played... I never found out...I gave up.

When they announce the results of cricket games on CNN I just say: "Wazzat??"

I have absolutly no idea how it works! My sister who's been in London for more than 10 years has absolutly no idea how it works and we don't want to bother knowing how it works!

but the brits can't say they are better at cricket, India kicks their a$$e$...(but who cares! it's cricket dammit!)

<font size=1>

[This message has been edited by Jem (edited September 02, 2001).]

Originally posted by Ruddster 2K1:

C = Munich and Madird dont OWN football. english teams are re-merging. look at the liverpools and man uniteds, plus we have the maxiumium 4 teams in the Champion league

D = that goal was in the Coup de France, which involved france, england, brazil and italy (and we won that compo!!!)

Man United is good, but they beat Munich once in the last 5 years in the champions league, in 99. That goal that I speak of came in a Real Madrid Game......i THINK, you may be right.

And Real Madrid holds the record by a substantial margin for most appearances(36 and counting) and most championships inthe champions league(8)....the runner up is...Munich I think, my friend says so....

EDITED TO FIX THE STUPID QUOTE THING FROM BEING BROKE ASS

[This message has been edited by Zargon (edited September 04, 2001).]

Archived