Home

A question regarding the map editor

There is one thing I was wondering about concerning the map editor/mod tools that I haven't been able to find an answer to. Will you be able to make new planets in the galactic overview map as well? I take it that the map editor is primarily aimed at creating new tactical maps (at least that's how most people talk about it) but I would like to make my own galactic map as well. Create new planets, assign new space/ground maps to them, give the planets special abilities/bonuses and so on. Will this be possible?

As far as i can tell, it should...maybe not in the detail that you have suggested but on the galactic conquest screen there is an option for custom maps (im pretty sure anyways) So it seems logical that something of this nature would be allowed. I sincerely hope it isnt just "you pick what planets you want to be allowed" b/c that would be pointless.

Having said that.....We [i atleast] still have no 'real' information about the patch, map editor, mod tools, etc etc. So there really doesnt seem like theres any way to answer the question until the notes or editor itself are released. :-/

I'm pretty sure you'll be able to actually create tactical maps because one of the devs referred to it as a "terrain generator" (at least I think he did) which means it is a tool for tactical combat (actual ingame 3D fighting - not Galactic Map) map creation.

Its probebly only a turrain map editor . Why you might ask? becase galactic map is handeld through xml editing of course its posible that they would include it itsunlikly becas from a coders perspective its quite easy

but if ur real lucky maby some 1 can create a user galatic map editer for thos who dont want to code it wouldent be too hard a program that takes quordinats from a draged an droped planet and writes them in xml format to a file

Okay let me straighten this out for you guys:

The map editor will only allow the creation of Land/Space maps. In order to make new galatic maps, you have to edit the .XML files. Technically you will be able to add new planets to galatic conquest modes but you will have to edit the .XML to do so.

If you want more information on how to add planets to the galatic view, I would suggest making a thread in the modding section.

if the editor is only able to create ground/space combat maps, then why is there an option for custom maps when you are selecting the galactic conquest map to use....IF the only way to edit the galactic conquest maps is to change the XML files...this wouldnt be a custom map, it would just replace one of the existing maps...so is this "option" an error or could popcorn be wrong? IT just seems a little confusing to me :-/

if the editor is only able to create ground/space combat maps, then why is there an option for custom maps when you are selecting the galactic conquest map to use....IF the only way to edit the galactic conquest maps is to change the XML files...this wouldnt be a custom map, it would just replace one of the existing maps...so is this "option" an error or could popcorn be wrong? IT just seems a little confusing to me :-/

I'm not sure how the coders set it up since I'm not on the patch team, but it's likely there so that you can make your own custom Galactic Conquest campaigns by creating a new Campaign XML file. Adding new planets to the Planets.XML file falls under the category of Mod not custom map, since it would require modifying two or more XML files. Not that you can't do that, it's just a little bit more work.

Hy Torpid. For Total Realism mod we made up to 8 different Galactic conquest modes. They are functionnal in single player and multiplayer mode.

As far as maps are concerned in the file called planets.xml you have two enteries for each planet description.

1. Space tactical map

2. Ground tactical map

So all we have to do is to create new map and to indicate to the game in Plantes.xml file which map to use. New maps should be placed in art folder.

We tryed it by using the skirmish map and it worked (note on skirmish maps base and space station had to be built from scratch so I'm hope that in editor we will be able to indicate that the map is specialy designed for GC and thus will force it to use construction from galaxy overview).

Archived