Home

Big Mods Broken Down Into Smaller Pieces

Q

To all of you wonderfully talented modders out there:

As one of the moderators (Redhawke?-can't remember) pointed out, there's a lot of us out here who don't have broadband, and can't get it-it's just unavailable where we live. My situation's even worse: bad phone lines and a complacent, lazy phone company who won't fix the problem (no internet when it rains-period!). I swear (literally, a lot): it's barely one step above tin cans and string! Even in times of protracted fair weather, I can't hold an online connection any longer than 3-4 hours and my transfer speed is at best 3.5k/s!

So, I humbly request, please, that the bigger mods be divided into separate, smaller packages (around 10MB), so that I, and anyone else with this ridiculous problem can download them. The mods in question are any of the ones bigger than this (Reign of the Sith by Gsccc, the Holowan Plugins for both KotOR's 1&2, the USM and any other mod that meets this description-from what I can tell, they're aren't that many). It would really mean a lot to me and maybe some other people, too (those of us that live in the sticks with a phone system dating back to Alexander Graham Bell!). Well, it's raining again, so I better finish this quickly. It seems like a reasonable request, given my very limited knowledge of the subject matter, and I truly hope that it's an easy one to grant. Thank you all for the great mods!

I'm seriously thinking of suing the phone company.

I completly understand your feelings there Qliveur. My home computer is also relegated to 26.4K on a regular basis. Infact the only way the Holowan Plugin for K2 was uploaded is I went to a friends house that had highspeed available there.

However there is a light at the end of the tunnel for those of us on dial-up. There is a program called leechget. I've used it to download the USM, HP for K1 & K2 and Gsccc's ROTS mods. Leechget divides up the archive into multiple download packages that happen at the same time up to 8 and speeds up large file downloads and allows you to pause the downloads. I don't have a web address for it but a simple web search will find it quickly. This is likely the best option you will get for this type of request.

I agree myself. I too have dial up and can not get highspeed, and my transfer rate is around 5kps. My idea would be to allow gamers to download only what they want out of the big mods(if possible), because some of the good stuff is in with big mods. Its like buying 10 apples when you only want 1.

I shall try it immediately, and get back to DLing (as soon as the weather clears-it's been raining buckets here as of late!).

I also hope that other gamers with our handicap (what should I say, uh, bandwidth challenged-gotta be PC these days!) see this thread as well as your solution.

Edit: Hey, Darkkender!

Just thought you'd like to know that I DL'ed and installed Leechget and it works great! It's very easy to use, too! I really appreciate the tip, THANKS!

Q

Qliveur, I realise you are new but 'bumping' threads is a no-no, especially in the Mod Requests forum or else mod requests would get drowned out by the constant bumping. I have combined your posts. Thanks. -RH

Archived