Home

How can "cRAP" be music?

K_Kinnison

Oh, they realized Rap hada bad reputation, so they call it "Hip-Hop" now.

It has gotten ot the point now, if a person has osme kind of beat in the background, and some Ebonic Ryming, it is "good" hip-hop

Music should have a difinat Rytham, a melody, the vocals should be real words that have rhyme and meter (just liek poetry) and stay in tune with the Melody. that is accompined by more then 1 instrament that is not a sythesiser. with a beat mixer on it.

DOes anyone have a clue what good music is anymore? why should i buy a $15 dolalr CD for some hodgepodge lyrics with infantile attempts are Ryming and a beat in the background.

I like to see some of these "cRAP" groupts trying to do a unplugged performace... but then everyone will figure out they are shams, and really do have no talent

Now, i am not saying 100% of "cRAP" is bad. Mc Hammer (Hammer) Some Coolio songs, and a few smattering of others are actaulyl good, and quite enjoyable. but the Tripe they are playing on the radio is HORRIBLE. Then they wonder why record sales are down

FYI the C in Rap is silent, and Hip-Hop is realy "cRap" music under a differant term so the bad 'rap' can be somewhat avoided

flame on smile.gif

Music should have a difinat Rytham, a melody, the vocals should be real words that have rhyme and meter (just liek poetry) and stay in tune with the Melody.

Not all poetry has rhyme and definite meter. And a lot of modern compositions don't have a true melody. Does this make them not music? No. Does this make them not good? Maybe. I think so, but there are those who find these great pieces of music and I am not prepared to tell them they cannot have their opinions. Perhaps I would if I knew a little more about the philosophy of such things.

But, yes, I do hate rap smile.gif

The only kind of rap that comes remotely close to what might possibly considered somewhat non-crappy is the old stuf from like the 80s. Even if it is just for comedic value.

------------------

You're supposed to be dumpster-diving for ham scraps, you six-piece chicken McNobody!

Official forum Psychic

This is when i say.....

It's close to midnight and something evil's lurking in the dark

Under the moonlight you see a sight that almost stops your heart

You try to scream but terror takes the sound before you make it

You start to freeze as horror looks you right between the eyes,

You're paralyzed

'Cause this is thriller, thriller night

And no one's gonna save you from the beast about strike

You know it's thriller, thriller night

You're fighting for your life inside a killer, thriller tonight

You hear the door slam and realize there's nowhere left to run

You feel the cold hand and wonder if you'll ever see the sun

You close your eyes and hope that this is just imagination

But all the while you hear the creature creepin' up behind

You're out of time

'Cause this is thriller, thriller night

There ain't no second chance against the thing with forty eyes

You know it's thriller, thriller night

You're fighting for your life inside of killer, thriller tonight

Night creatures call

And the dead start to walk in their masquerade

There's no escapin' the jaws of the alien this time

(They're open wide)

This is the end of your life

They're out to get you, there's demons closing in on every side

They will possess you unless you change the number on your dial

Now is the time for you and I to cuddle close together

All thru the night I'll save you from the terror on the screen,

I'll make you see

That this is thriller, thriller night

'Cause I can thrill you more than any ghost would dare to try

Girl, this is thriller, thriller night

So let me hold you tight and share a killer, diller, chiller

Thriller here tonight

Darkness falls across the land

The midnite hour is close at hand

Creatures crawl in search of blood

To terrorize y'awl's neighbourhood

And whosoever shall be found

Without the soul for getting down

Must stand and face the hounds of hell

And rot inside a corpse's shell

The foulest stench is in the air

The funk of forty thousand years

And grizzy ghouls from every tomb

Are closing in to seal your doom

And though you fight to stay alive

Your body starts to shiver

For no mere mortal can resist

The evil of the thriller,

(into maniacal laugh, in deep echo)

As a musician, I feel that the only thing that makes a style of music legit is that it moves somebody in some way, or means something to somebody, even if it's ONLY the people making the music.

I have made (and continue to make for that matter) a lot of really, REALLY BAD music, meaning music that nobody else on Earth would ever want to hear. Yet, to me, and my friends who helped me in the creation process, it means something. Something very important.

So, even if the music you dislike may not to you be musically valid, it might be personally valid (or, I think in the case of rap, culturally valid) to those who make and listen to it.

This goes for even for what I feel is the most insipid, obviously commercial tripe that gets churned out every year for the TRL set. This stuff moves somebody because they buy it.

Hey, I was listening to Ratt, AC/DC, Twisted Sister and Whitesnake at that age! Why?

Because:

A.) That's all was I ever exposed to. And

B.) That's what everybody else around me my age was into at the time, and I wanted to fit in.

Plus it didn't hurt that all the songs were about what I was thinking about most at the time: Fitting into and finding my place in society; Sex; Being an individual; Sex; Death and violence; Sex; Freedom in my life; Sex; The great unknown future and my growing up; and of course (you guessed it); Sex.

I would hate to think that the stuff you listen to in your pre- and early-teen years has to dictate your character, or even your musical future. It's just a stage we all pass through. Every generation has it's defining musical styles that the older generation can't stand. My grandfather forbade my dad to listen to be-bop in the house, because it was all just "random noise" to him. My aunt wasn't supposed to listen to The Beatles, drugged out hippy music and all that, y'know.

I think it would be GREAT if every adolesent in the world had a copy of John Coltrane's "Giant Steps" in thier collection and actually enjoyed it and understood it,... but THAT'S never going to happen. Heck, I'm 31 with over a decade of musical education behind me, much of it at the college level, and I can't claim to understand everything on that record! But I can recognise it as a great work of art these days, where I never would have appriciated it when I was a kid. Same goes for all the classical works in my collection as well. When you're 13 "The Magic Flute" doesn't really speak to you. At least not for most kids.

It's getting late and this rant has gotten out of hand. I'm not sure what the original point even was anymore. I'm not sure any of you can either at this point.

That's it (for now...)

END RANT TRANSMISSION

Guest Luke Skywalker

I can PAY to see a nemoidean dancing biggrin.gif

------------------

"We did it!!!"

>May the force be with you<

Luke Skywalker, 38th Kokou Sentai

Guest Zoom Rabbit

I like rap.

Especially the soundtrack to Fridays. 'I blast if I have to--n*gga, don't make me have to! I'll pull this mother-f**kin' millimeter, and it won't stop...'

Great stuff. biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by Zoom Rabbit (edited October 11, 2001).]

Now... this is a story all about how

my life got flipped, turned upside down,

and I'd like to take a minute, just sit right there

I'll tell you how I became the prince of a town called Bel-Air

In West Philidelphia born and raised

on the playground is where I spent most of my days,

chillin' out, maxin', relaxin', all cool

and all shooting some b-ball outside the school

When a couple of guys who were up to no good

started making trouble in my neighborhood,

I got in one little fight and my mom got scared

she said "you're movin' with your uncle and auntie in Bel-Air"

I whistled for a cab and when it came near

the license plate said "fresh" and had dice in the mirror,

if anything I could say this cab was rare

but I though now forget it, yo home to Bel-Air

I pulled up to a house about seven or eight

and I yelled to the cabby "yo home, smell ya later,"

I looked at my kingdom, I was finally there

to settle my throne as the prince of Bel-Air

That is another thing i hate about cRAP

I can barley understand the lyrics, and they got slnader, racist remarks, and LOTS of swear words.. and then they have Pre-High school kids allowed to Buy this crud?

Most of the cRAP is about Gang life, and living as a minority persucutated by RAcists. Sorry, but that is not how life in america is like, and i am sorry for those kids who want to bring that poor version of realitiy to home.

If i ever had a kid listening to music like that i would bust up all his CDs

Archived