Home

Infernal Machine's developer mode?

JerryKing

I've noticed that adding: "DevMode"=dword:00000001 to HKLMS\LucasArts Entertainment Company LLC\Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine\v1.0 *seems* to run Indy3D in *some* other mode than normal. But all I've found is that the screen goes black initially. and one has to move forward for a while in this "darkness", die, and restart or load to start seeing anything.

Unfortunately, I cannot make this supposed "dev mode" to do anything special or even prove that it's actually activated. Does anyone know its secrets? Does it even work at all or was it removed and the key was left in accidentally?

(Adding a "Debug Mode" key in that same section causes a console window with information to open and shut down before running Indy3D; I'm currently trying to find out how to log or capture the output of this quickly disappearing window...)

Another interesting finding is that a removal of the key "Start Mode" from the same section pops up this after running Indy3D:

image14bj.gif

Unfortunately, the only option that allows to continue anywhere is "Exit". :\ And if changed, the options and settings are not stored - they always are at their defaults when "StartMode" is removed and Indy3D is run again.

It may or may not work with the demo...

http://www.lucasarts.com/products/indy/indydemo.exe

(I still have the game as purchased in 2000 - do they still sell it at Lucasarts, anyway? If not... I'm fairly certain one could find the whole game online, in "the usual places"...)

I'd be very interested to hear it if someone found out anything "special" about these modes. In e.g. Grim Fandango, one could do wonders when DevMode was activated, and when I discovered the existence of those in IM, I was hoping to see something similar... unfortunately, I still don't know how to access any "special commands", if they're even accessible at all...

• 2 weeks later...

If you want to capture the output of that disappearing window, try running the game from the command line and sending the output to a text file, eg:

cd theindyfolder

IndyExefile.exe > Indy.log.txt

This should save anything that indy outputs to that log file.

• 3 months later...

Archived