Home

Study: Humans shallower than previously thought

Nute Gunray

Study: Beauty Affects Male Brain

By JAY LINDSAY

.c The Associated Press

BOSTON (Nov. 10) - Seeing a beautiful woman triggers a pleasure response in a man's brain similar to what a hungry person gets from eating or an addict gets from a fix, scientists say.

Researchers said the study, published Wednesday in the journal Neuron, shows that feminine beauty affects a man's brain at a very primal level, not on some higher, more intellectual plane.

"Beauty is working similar to a drug,'' said Dan Ariely of Massachusetts Institute of Technology's Sloan School of Management, a co-author of the study.

Researchers showed a group of heterosexual men in their mid-20s pictures of men and women of varying attractiveness, while measuring the brain's responses through computer imaging.

The beautiful women were found to activate the same "reward circuits'' as food and cocaine do. The men had a negative reaction to pictures of good-looking males, suggesting they were threatened by them, study author Hans Breiter said.

Breiter said evidence that beauty stimulates these primal brain circuits has never been shown. He said the findings counter arguments that beauty is nothing more than the product of society's values.

"This is hard-core circuitry,'' Breiter said. "This is not a conditioned response.''

Scientists said the findings could have major implications for research into what motivates people.

"We think of these things as a products of a very high level of thought,'' said John Mazziotta, director of the Brain Mapping Center at the University of California at Los Angeles, "and it may be very basic and fundamental.''

My question: they had to actually do a study to prove this? They could have just called me and saved a lot of time.

That depends on the characteristics of the girls, let us call the good characteristics "Z" and the bad ones "Y"

So it's:

Zgirls>cocaine>Ygirls

<font size=1>

[This message has been edited by Jem (edited November 11, 2001).]

Guest Jabba The Hunt

No it means that I'm fat because I havnt got a gf and I havnt got a gf because I'm fat, the irony of it almost makes me laugh.

------------------

"Getting Drunk is great you should try it sometime"

"I did once, I just cant remember if I enjoyed it or not"

jabbathehunt@hotmail.com

Human standard of beauty have changed over the years, so that study isn't terribly accurate. I mean, back in the 1500's or so, a hot woman was considered to be plump and chubby. Eheh. Not like today's paragon of beauty, which is the polar opposite. So society does have something to do with it. The way you grow up and the values you learn while growing "program" you to think that way.

Guest Rune Haako

What a relief that this didn't turn out to be another "Nute b#tchfest."

<font size=-2>yet</font>

------------------

"I hope our plan works, Master Robin."

"Just puff out your chest and look virile, Alfred."

Archived