Home

Monkey Island 5 v.s. GrimFandango2

Timmy5

If it was possible, I'd want Sam+Max 2, but as that's no longer an option for LEC, my most wanted sequel would be Maniac Mansion 3. I do want a Monkey Island 5, but I don't want one right now.

However, even more than sequel, I'd rather LEC do an original franchise, something mature, gritty, realistic and set on city streets. I think it's an experiment they need to try in order to shake things up a bit.

I'D SAY WAIT A FEW YEARS I.E CHRISTMAS 2003/2004 BEFORE BRINGING OUT A NEW MONKEY ISLAND GAME. I ALSO THINK THAT WILL BE THE LAST GAME IN THE SERIES. I THINK THE 5TH GAME WILL END BY GUYBRUSH BEING KILLED, NOT BY LECHUCK, BUT IN A HUMORUS WAY LIKE ACTUALLY I HAVE NO IDEA HOW BUT IT WOULD HAVE TO BE FUNNY

[This message has been edited by DEMORALISED (edited March 04, 2001).]

Guest The Feral Chicken

NO WAY! Why would it have to be funny? That would be a load of god-damn bullcrap! It would have to be a serious death to end the series. To have a funny death would completely undermine the gravity of the situation. Can you imagine, for example, he gets killed when a small dog falls on his head, then the series just...ends? It would be crap. But, if he were to go in on a ship full of enemy pirates, waving his sword, stabbing people, to save Elaine, and then get involved in a passionate kiss with her, rescue her, and then get stabbed in the back by an enemy, it would be pure class. If anything, he should have a heroes death, definitely.

------------------

cannon.gif

Feral

I agree Natty,

I say the final game is where you can actually kill LeChuck and know that he won't be resurrected,etc... so the player knows that he is gone forever... and hopefully the next game won't have another bad guy, It seems much more fun when LeChuck is the only baddy, that's my feeling anyway.

A serious game, like The Longest Journey, would be FANTABULISTIC though...but LucasArts are sorta known for their comedy adventure games, so maybe we should just leave the serious advebture games to Funcom....

------------------

taliesin.gif

Originally posted by Timmy5:

would you rather have a GrimFandango2 or a Monkey Island 5? me i would choose GrimFandango2 it has a lot more class but it was very close!

I'd rather MI5. And I think a serious game would wreak the series. Unless at the start, you could choose between serious and funny. After serious, you could go back and do funny.

Feral, this speech you've made about killing Guybrush (you also made it in the 'I want Guybrush dead, yes dead' thread) reeks of a psychological disturbance and I'm not kidding. Don't take MI so seriously wink.gif

Anyway, MI is and always has been a comedy series. The first three MI games had their dark moments but humour was always present. A serious conclusion would be a total non sequitir and utterly innappropriate. Lucasarts definitely wouldn't do it.

Guest The Feral Chicken

Oh, come on! You can't say resurrecting a rotting corspe using voodoo and having to banish him by tearing off his leg with a voodoo doll is COMEDY! It's downright creepy! In fact, the first 3 have all had serious endings, especially 2, so I believe it WOULD fit.

------------------

cannon.gif

Feral

Yes I can say it's comedy. It's surrounded by Star Wars parody jokes, it's done in a slapstick way, a dog comes and carries of LeChuck's leg etc. It's a humourous atmosphere. And I don't think any of the games have had 'serious' endings. Monkey Island 1's was an amusing conversation between Eliane+Guybrush, MI2's was a hilarious 'what the heck, he's a kid' moment, and number 3's was that ludicrously fast wedding sequence followed by Murray's comedy rant. Not terribly serious in my books...

Guest The Feral Chicken

Uhh...

MI1: Romantic scene with Guybrush and Elaine. HAHAHAHAHA! Bloody hilarious, yeah, a romantic scene! Wooo! Romance, I mean, that is the funniest thing ever! rolleyes.gif

MI2: Spooky voodoo ending involving ripping off a corpse's leg. A-hahahahaha! What a bleedin' ribtickler!

MI3: They get married and a corpse gets buried under a load of ice. Christ, it doesn't get any funnier than this! How DO they come up with it?

I mean, come on, do you LAUGH at weddings and funerals? All of the endings are meant to be taken seriously. Except for MI4, that was just crap and too open-ended.

And I don't mean the little things at he end, like 'Turn off your computer and go to sleep!', the list of things to do, or Murray speaking. I mean the actual ENDING, not the credit sequences (which are, granted, hilarious smile.gif)

------------------

cannon.gif

Feral

I would say none of the endings are meant to be taken seriously. I've already stated that I think MI2's 'unspeakable zombie slaying violence and horror' was goofy slapstick and as for the romantic conversation at the conclusion of MI1: 'Never pay more than $20 for a video game', humourous shots of Stan, Herman, and the crew + 'LeChuck sure looks nice exploding against the night sky' and a few others thoroughly bring a comedy touch to the proceedings.

Granted, MI3's ending wasn't funny, but it wasn't 'serious' either. It was kinda bland really.

Archived