Home

Movies DO cause violence ["WTF?!" of the week]

Dagobahn Eagle

I was watching this movie (it's a worthwhile watch if you have two hours and an interest in Guantanamo), which pretty much refutes all the Neo-con arguments about how torture is perfectly fine. And then, near the end, Carol from Human Rights Watch reveals the "WTF?!-of-the-week" candidate to end them all.

Go to 1:23:50 and learn what's influencing the neo-cons into supporting torture. Then come back here and answer the question: How on Earth can a human being be that hideously, shamelessly, head-in-the-sand dumb?!

--D. E.

I didn't post this in the Senate as 1. It's more of a "What the Heck?!"-thread than a torture-debating thread, and 2. There's already a thread on torture in the Senate.

Yeah, what IG said, just post what he said in a spoiler tag. I'm interested in hearing it, but not interested enough to download all that video to hear it. Or somebody else that watches it post what he said, DE doesn't have to be the one to do it.

Thanks. :)

Never watched it, but I doubt it would change my mind about anything... It's pretty dumb to let something like that set your agenda.

I've heard it was really good but I can never catch it from the very beginning. Might rent it one day.

Oh, and I didn't know you could do that with google video, weird.

It's a truly excellent programme, actually. It's got some great cliff-hangers, realistic characters, and wonderful directing. It's worth a try.

But to let it alter your beliefs on torture... That is just weird.

Sigh... I can just hear Jack Thompson jumping on this one and claiming it as evidence he's right:rolleyes:.

That happens to me too!

I'm not at all surprised to be honest.. people often base their views on dramatic, engaging fictional accounts. Heck, everyone believes there is a "magic bullet" theory because of JFK.. even though everything in that movie was disproved conculsively.

I really like 24.. and it is very well done so that you really identify with jack, and will happily support him even when he performs some truely despicable acts. But it is fiction, after all.. and things i'd happily support a rouge agent doing in a film aren't the same as i'd support real life agents doing to real people.

Isn't kiefer sutherland a pretty strong liberal/democrat? Or did i imagine that?

Also, even though Jack is very hardline and often way over the line, president palmer was always very liberal, and very reluctant to do anything like torture. If anything he was the moral centre of the show. As its plainly shown that sometimes jack DOES go to far, and hes pretty messed up because of all he's had to do.

The onel thing that has disappointed me about recent series is that they've been pretty poor about explaining the motivation of a lot of the terrorists.. a lot of the rest of the plot is pretty well thought out (except anything involving kim) but the terrorists always come across as very sterotypical american views of terrorists. Willing to kill themselves, their families, hundreds of civilians.. but never really explaining WHY, apart from some unexplained hatred of america. I can't help but think it would be more interesting if they were portrayed as humans too, with human traits like loyalty, doubt, second thoughts, etc..

NB/ Kiefer Sutherland is the grandson of Tommy Douglas, former leader of the New Democratic Party and founder of Medicare.

When the "surprise candidate" is mentioned, then expanded upon, the continued reaction of the guy on the left is priceless. Absolutely priceless.

Yep. I did a little thing about Jack Thompson. I used CS2 to do a corny collab of snake aiming a silenced SIG at his head. Lolzors. I hate Jack Thompson.

Please stop giving Jack Thompson ammunition. It's bad enough that he claims Halo and the Sims cause violence and pedophilia without the average video gamer yelling out "LOLZ, JACK THOMPSON IZ A DEUCHE, I SHOOT HIM LIEK I DOES IN CS:S!!!!1"

Archived