Home

EaW really, really needs an SDK.

Tokakeke

Through XML and LUA, modders can edit and add new units, change AI, et al. But the functionality of things cannot be changed. You can't mess with trade routes, retreat functions, you can't add new functionality, and so forth. As long as EaW stays with only XML and Lua, it will be near-impossible to create mods that bring more to the table than just new units, a new campaign, and a couple galactic maps. Therefore, why hasn't any real code been released? I'd love to get my hands on some of the C++ stuff, so that I could tweak hoe things work and add some real cool new stuff to EaW (and I'm sure a lot of others would like to also), but that's not going to happen in XML.

i tihnk the things you mentioned could only be done if you edited the game engine. and since the game engine is litterally the main part of the game it would be illegal to redistribute it. i tihnk it would be similar with tools because tools could do anytihng. an example is make it so you dont need a cd which is illegal...

That's why you mod Half-Life2. I originally came from modding the Half-Life series of games and now I'm edging back to it. I'm working some other people on adding things to Garry's mod...it's so fun....and 100% modable, meaning you can program everything with complete control. The Valve HL2 SDK is one of the most open packages for modders out there, and it even comes with a plugin for the free demo version of Softimage|XSI. For EaW it's a lot harder to change hardcoded things, but someone told me that you could scipt all the game functions you want in Lua.

an SDK usually only allows you to edit the dlls or extend to new dlls, not the core executable. the dlls usually contain things that control unit abilities and how in game functions interact. Not the core engine and stuff like the copy protection. even with lua you are limited to the stubs in the dlls that petroglyph created, it also has to run at runtime which is slow especially for computationally complex operations.

for example if you wanted to add crew counts and crew morale in right now you would have to make an external array in lua to track the values on the units and do all the updating and tracking manually (IE checking for damage and the current state of the batlle for each unit), if petro gave us an SDK it could be integrated into the unit stats and handled natively in the unit array.

i tihnk the things you mentioned could only be done if you edited the game engine. and since the game engine is litterally the main part of the game it would be illegal to redistribute it. i tihnk it would be similar with tools because tools could do anytihng. an example is make it so you dont need a cd which is illegal...

Please read up on what a SDK is. It is not complete open-source code for the entire engine, and I'm sure if it was people would be able to do more than just play without a CD.

That's why you mod Half-Life2. .....

Right, but that's not even an RTS. If I wanted to go mod HL2, I'd go mod HL2. JKA has a SDK, if I wanted to edit that I would too. What I'm saying is that EaW lacks real modding tools right now. XML and LUA don't cut it for making real mods with real new features.

For EaW it's a lot harder to change hardcoded things, but someone told me that you could scipt all the game functions you want in Lua.

EDIT: Replied to this post but Evile got it first, and better. :)

Athough i agree with you guys about it would be nice to have more functionality changes...... but honestly i think most mods arnt digging deep enuff

for example in normal eaw transports are 100% posible.)... although i have yet to try it i belive it is... and then theres unit experiance also posible (maby not kill by kill but still posible).

another example is the realtime base building, i yet wonder if any one would ever get it if i never mentioned it.... i originaly wrote the code before april and dint tell any one because it was simple in my eyes .... but no one found it untell i showed it was posible

so.....basicly what im sayuing.... keep digging..... allamo engine can still to many things that are beyond its normal peramiters that most people simply havent found yet :/

new features can be added if ur coding is good enough

for example sonic0 (posibly one of the best coders) has put orbital bombardment, death star superlaser, ecplispe orbital bombardment (using superlaser) into AGD v3 and is putting more into v4 (boarding craft anyone)

also LoW, AOSW, PM and sonic0 (sonic0 didnt hav the time to complete it though) has made real time base construction which was thought to be impossible with the EaW game engine

alot of things are possible through coding, u just hav t be good at it

Legacy of War have working APCs, Orbital Bombardment, Real Time Construction on the World Devestators and some other sweet stuff... ;)

Project Mars have working CNC Style Harvesters and loads of other bits and bobs of coding.

Given time we probably could add in some other sweet bits and pieces. To be honest I wouldn't expect an EAW SDK until at least Next Year. They need to get FOC out the door and if they have finished the series then they may release the full SDK.

tbh I could care less about real time base building in this context. All that is is a bunch of tweaks in some XMLS. What is needed is to change the game significantly, and that CAN'T BE DONE in XML. Some of the star wars mods might be OK with simple things that can be messed around with in XML, but taking a few parameters and shifting them around only works for so long. I predict most of these huge "mods" will be unit replacement mods with the same new features, echoed across ALL the mods. Everyone will hit the wall sooner or later.

In addition, evile brought up the concern about speed. Even if it were possible to code a huge amount of things in with LUA, it'd slow the game down to a halt.

Im so sick of seeing Ricardo blah blah about OB vis a vis Sonic. I release a crappy video using a crude form of orbital bombardment MONTHS ago. It was very lame (which is why we did not add it in to anything). He copies it as how it was done is obvious. Ricardo.. he did NOT make orbital bombardment. He increased the height of the Bombers in the bombing run and gave them a different projectile. So please.. stfu already about it. You say the same crap in EVERY thread.

I'd love to get my hands on some of the C++ stuff, so that I could tweak hoe things work and add some real cool new stuff to EaW (and I'm sure a lot of others would like to also), but that's not going to happen in XML.

Too bad you dont code in C++. You dont know a function from a array from a compiler. Tok you REALLY make me lol. Dont act like you know a thing about coding when its obvious you dont. I'd be willing to bet you couldnt even make a damn calender in VB. So you stfu also nub. Go back to your legos and HotWheels.

cos world devestators eating stuff has been done

Not it hasnt.. and what has been done looks like garbage. I swear Ricardo..I think your a Fosh Stalker. Every thread he posts in your right there throwing out some other moronic crap.

"zerox", I can program in C++, and yes, I know the difference between an array (static or dynamic?), a compiler, and a function. An array is a variable that points to a memory location, and when you add an index (eg. int i [1] = 5), it accesses the memory location + the size of the variable * the index. A compiler is a program that turns source code into an executable, and tells you where you ****ed up when you don't want it to (syntax errors, memory allocation) and doesn't tell you when you really need it to tell you when you ****ed up (eg. buffer overflow). A function is a block of code that can be passed variables (by value or reference) in order to process them (typically of type void) or return a value (such as an int or char function).

Of course, I'm sure that wasn't your point. Your point was to bitch because I criticised your past work. So, whatever. My point still stands - an SDK would be beneficial to the modding community. Attacking others contributes nothing to the topic.

Nice Wiki and google post.. WOW that looks like it was ripped almost from the Wiki articles. You never tore up my work. Your just another wannabe fanboy. Id love to see some of your code thats not pulled fom websites.

Nice Wiki and google post.. WOW that looks like it was ripped almost from the Wiki articles. You never tore up my work. Your just another wannabe fanboy. Id love to see some of your code thats not pulled fom websites.

Yes, the wiki articles seem amazingly similar to his post. You might need this wiki article to help understand that last sentence.

Archived