Home

How to make this party work? no spoilers please

mur'phon

So, I have decided to make a scoundrel/consular as my character. And I am thinking of taking the most fun character (hk-47), and the least anoying character (bastilla) with me. Being a complete noob at this game (bought it today), I figured it would be a good idea to ask you for help. I am thinking of being a light side buffer/healer/blaster with my force powers, using hk-47 for blasting, and Bastilla for melee/self buffing.

So, from what I have read, this is not a opptimal party, and being a noob, I wont be able to make up for a poor party with skill. I know this is quite much to ask for, but I would like to know a bit about what me (and my party members) atributes should be like, and wich skills, force powers and feats I should choose.

I am going to start a new game, so any help is apreciated.

note: I dont want any spoilers, but if its something that is wise because of enemies/other things encountered later in the game, just say "trust me on this one, or something to that extent)

Any help is apreciated, so please post wathever you think might be useful.

Generally, you always want to make your PC your primary meat tank. Always go for melee feats, and don't bother with any blaster feats or extended armour feats for your PC, as you'll become a jedi within the first few hours and you'll never use armour or blasters again. If you're going consular, pump up your wisdom and charisma to get the most out of your force powers.

To get the most out of HK, pick up a lot of repair points and intelligence, as repairing his memory brings out his history, which is worth the laughs. Remember though, except for T3, all of your party members have their own backstories and subquests which you'll only be able to access if you hang around with them outside the ship.

Lastly, make sure your game is fully patched before playing, and if you're on PC, save all your unneeded junk and parts like security spikes (which don't actually do anything in KotOR 1) for the shop on Yavin. He pays a lot more than the other places.

Generally, you always want to make your PC your primary meat tank

However, in this case it appears that mur'phon failed to do this by picking a scoundrel/consular as his PC. This may be salvagable, without having to start a new game.

First, read MM's post about what feats (you won't have many as a consular, so choose wisely) to focus on. Also, he is correct in saying that you as a consular should focus on wisdom/charisma.

If you find the combat too difficult, you can always go to the options menu and knock the difficulty down a notch or two. No shame in doing that on the first playthrough...

If you insist on sticking with the party you've selected, remember to use your force powers liberally in combat--that's what a conselor is good for. Also, as a former scoundrel, you should have the sneak attack feat. Make good use of that when you can. Try to hold back and wait for one of your companions to move in first and distract the opponent before you wade in.

Also make use of the rapid transit back to the ship if you or your party is down on VP and you are not in combat or another restricted area. That will restore the entire party to full health and allow you to save your medpacks for when you really need 'em.

However, I don't necessarily recommend sticking with one party configuration over all others. Remember that you can swap out your party members at will in most areas of the game as the situation demands without the tedium of going all the way back to the Ebon Hawk. Simply bring up the map and click on the pary selection button.

As a fomer scoundrel, your PC should be decent at slicing computers, opening doors, disarming (or better, recovering) mines, etc., so you will not have to have other party members that can do it. Select strong fighters to make up for your PC's own deficiencies in that realm (I tend to prefer melee fighters over ranged weapon experts when it really gets tough, but HK-47 is still fun to have around).

And, oh yeah, all together now...save often and in different slots.

If you do restart a game, my personal preference is to start with a scout. The couple extra feats that a soldier receives does not outweigh the pitiful skill point allotment.

Anyway, that's my story, and I'm stickin' to it... Good luck!

The most important thing I can think of is save often and in different slots! I can't imagine how many times I did somethin wrong and wanted to go back and fix it.

You won't be using a blaster very much (if at all) so don't waste your level ups by adding ranged feats (except sometimes I get power blast on my first level up)- concentrate mostly on melee.

If you're a scoundrel/consular, concentrate on skills like computer use, stealth, repair, (most importantly) persuade; on Force powers, they're all pretty good, just pick some that fit your playing style, but I would suggest, if you go Dark Side, Force Storm most importantly, and, if you go Light Side, Heal and Armor.

If you're a scout/sentinel, concentrate on skills like treat injury, computer use, demolitions, and persuade; Feats- flurry, advanced Jedi defense, two-weapon fighting (that's my style, but you can pick whatever you want); Force powers are pretty much the same as consular.

If you're a soldier/guardian, concentrate not as much on Force, but on feats. Go with things that increase your meele abilities like flurry, power attack, and critical strike.

Now you're not going to want to do this your first time around, but (I'm not really sure if this is much of a spoiler but I'm going to put it in spoiler tags anyway)

Once you get more experienced and have played through a few times, then on a new game, don't level up at all until you reach your second planet (although you do have to level up once on the Endar Spire). Once you get to the second planet and you become a Jedi, you can get a Force power with every one of those level ups, which will add about 8 Force powers to what you would normally get if you leveled up throughout the first planet.

Ok, you ask about attributes, skills, force powers and feats. I'll take a stab at recommending some.

ATTRIBUTES: I love the scoundrel/consular class, and here's a good newbie build: str 14 dex 12 con 14 int 10 wis 14 cha 14. Many people like higher dex, but I suggest str because you'll be using critical strike. My personal fav build for this combo is str 14, dex 8, con 10, int 10, wis 16 cha 16. That is a very agressive, very powerful consular build. It's tough making it as a scoundrel, but it makes for an extremely powerful consular.

SKILLS: As a scoundrel you need to focus on persuade, save your other skill points. Your consular will add the repair and treat injury skills as class skills, and you'll very likely have a total of 56 skill points to spend by end-game. Take persuade to about 16. Take repair to 17. Treat injury to 23. That's 56 points. You can deviate from these numbers, of course, but you must have 17 in repair. Trust me. I usually put Bastilla's 2 skill points per level into awareness and treat injury. HK's points I put into repair and demolitions (does he get 2? I forget). Repair is more important.

FORCE POWERS: You're a Consular, a master of the force that no one can resist. Don't stick to buffing! Be a guardian or sentinel if you want to buff. Trust me. As a Consular, you'll likely have 15 very-potent powers. For light-side, I'd get speedx3, stunx3, shockx3, wavex2, healx2, and resistx2. I get speed and wave first, then the rest as I can. Why shock, you say? Trust me, you'll love it. If you have a problem with shock because it's darkside (so what?) replace it with any 3-tier power set you want. Valor is a good one; so is kill (but again, it's dark). Bastilla's powers should compliment yours: valorx3, driodx3 and healx2 are very useful compliments, but don't take valor for her if you already have it (why-oh-why did you not take shock?). She's a sentinel; I say let her buff.

FEATS: Your scoundrel will (likely) have 4, and your consular will (likely) have 5 more, for a total of nine. Don't touch blasters! I suggest these feats: criticalx2 (lvls2&3), duelingx3, toughx3 and saberfocusx1 (lvl2). For more defensive, take jedidefx1 (lvl2) instead of saberfocusx1 (lvl2), but again, I like offense. Bastilla will likely have 4 feats. I'd take twoweapx2 (lvls2&3), flurryx2 (lvls2&3). HK will have 4 feats. He needs rapidshotx3 and toughx1 (lvl2 i think).

Wow that was fun. Good luck, and I hope those recommendations work for you!

If you go for consular then dueling is nice cause it gives you that extra bit of AC. If you do that you don't need to have saber focus, criticalx3(imo flurryx3 is better than criticalx3 but crit is good for consular). With maxed up master speed(everyone should) you can still do decent damage.

If you want offensive combat FORGET ABOUT DEALING is what I would say though, go for two lightsabers. Two lightsabers would give you better offensive power, plus more slots for gems.

DON'T RELY TOO MUCH ON BASTILA... there are times where you have to take up the fight on your own.

Consular? OK, think Yoda or Palpatine. Yes, they can open the can o'whooparse in a saber brawl. BUT, a Consular's chief strength is Force abilities. Invest in Stun-Stasis Field and Force Push-Force Wave, and all the defensive powers if you're LS. DS? Force Lightning, Fear-Insanity, Death Field, Choke, Plague. At character gen, you want to go heavy on Wisdom, Charisma, and Intelligence. Toughness and melee feats will also help.

Don't level up on Taris if you can help it. Let Zaalbar and Carth take the hits, as they are blessed with hitpoints. For that matter, give the Wookiee blades and make him take point. Skills required? Take Mission or T3.

Equipment? For the first part of the game, consider light armor (Echani fiber was a favorite). It was a gift from the Force on Taris, and even with the Force restriction I often kept it until Leviathan. If you go for robes, use Master robes. The defense bonus tends to outweigh the cost to Dex and force powers for the first 3 planets or so.

Ranged weapons? Grenades are your friend. Aim for the center of the group. Energy shields also are a good idea, especially for nasty jobs. Shield your droids, as Force Heal doesn't work on them.

Archived