Home

data backup....

stingerhs

ok, i've been looking around for a good data backup tool that will create a full system backup and keep it updated automatically. also, i would prefer if it could backup on either on a DVD or a separate hard drive. at work, we use Norton Ghost, but i was wondering what everyone else around here uses.

i'm willing to spend some money on a good app, but don't post something that costs more than $75 USD.

thanks. :)

I have used Ghost at work also and I confess I have not backed up my home PC ever, probably because I've never had a hard drive fail to teach me that lesson. :o (*knocks on wood*)

Disclaimer: I haven't used these personally. I just started realizing that I could use a good backup utility too and I didn't like using Ghost very much. :)

Here's a shareware solution that you can trial ($49.95 to buy):

NovaBackup

Some reviews make it sound like a good choice. And it appears to work well with optical media if that's what you're looking for.

review 1

review 2

Interestingly, there is also a freeware solution that looks promising:

XXCLONE

One drawback to this one I believe is that it looks like the backup disk has to be a local volume, not a network drive.

XXClone Forum

HTH!

WTF.... no one mentioned Acronis True Image.... it's simply the best.

The above linky should get you to the product page which has a link to a free 15 day trial :)

There are home versions for windows, and also linux version. Ive used the home edition for all my windows backups for the last 3 years...flawless... including all the incremental scheduled backups. Which is what I *cannot* say for Norton Ghost(now called Save & restore)

Everyone I know who uses TrueImage swears by it 100% !! Including me :) Add to the fact theyre used by the likes of HP and IBM, are multi award winning - you cant go wrong !

Also, just to mention whilst Im here, the Acronis Disk Director proggie is the best partition manager app you'll ever use...if youre looking for such a program, give the free trial a go.

mtfbwya

Archived