Home

[Fic] Sharing Blame

Mical and Sera tried to contain their giggles. It promised to be one of greatest stints in the history of the Ebon Hawk. The two had been planning the prefect prank to pull on Atton after he’d “pantsed” Mical in the cargo bay in front of the crew. It called for total secrecy, which is why they sought the one place not monitored by a security camera, the security room. Sera came up with the idea and Mical decided to go through with it. Call it for a moment of revenge. There were moments that he had felt some doubt. “I still think it won’t work, Sera. Atton is too clever to fall for it.” Mical said.

Sera grinned a mischievous grin. “It’ll work Mical,” she replied. She then led Mical to a spot where Atton would be sure to pass through. Seated in the portside dormitory, she sat, waiting for Mical to throw out the next pazzak card. Three rounds later, their plan went into action. Declaring loudly that they were playing Nar Shaddaa rules, Mical dealt the first hand. They argued in good humor until Mical had won and Sera had to remove her outer robe, uncovering a rather distinctive bulge. Mical’s eyes widened slightly. “How… how... how.... how’d that happen?” Mical stammered out placing his hand gently on her stomach.

“Well... let’s just say Atton and I got a little busy while you were out looking for someone’s items,” Sera replied with a grin.

At that moment, Atton happened to be passing by, and turned an odd shade of green. He stopped slightly to think about it a bit. They had gotten a little busy.... and Sera had been acting a little odd weeks later... tired all the time, etc. Had he really knocked up the most famed War general from the Mandalorian Wars? What was this going to mean to everyone else? What kind of Father was he going to be? These questions played through Atton’s mind like a replaying holovid. He wanted to watch them play a little more but his primal fear caught up and he headed straight back to the cockpit to think some more.

Sensing Atton had enough, Sera eased up from her seated position, which was not an easy feat and required Mical to help her up, and headed towards the cockpit to talk to Atton. It would be another while before they reached Deralia and Sera had no plans but to spend it relaxing, meditating, or playing more pazzak. It was kind of cute to see Atton all flustered but also it was kind of mean. Easing into the co pilot’s seat, she said, “So, Atton.... I guess you overheard that little exchange. Sorry. I wanted to tell you, but what with all that been going on, it’s been hard. I need an answer now Jaqie, and I need it soon.”

Atton didn’t know what to say. It was rather a difficult situation. He cared for her, more than anyone else. His thoughts were interrupted when Sera called, “Mical, where’s my box for my feet, I think they’re a little swollen.” She then directed her attention to Atton to continue the discussion, “Atton, I can not do this on my own.”

Suddenly without warning, Sera got louder and screamed, “Help me!”

It was loud enough to wake up Canderous and cause him to come running into the cockpit to find a sobbing Sera, a concerned Atton, and a bulge that told everything. He growled at Atton, “Have you no sense of honor?”

“I can’t do this alone,” Sera was muttering to herself. It looked like it would be a long night on the ship. “Uh-oh. Atton is anyone in the refresher?” Sera suddenly asked turning green.

“No. I don’t think...” Atton started before Sera tore off towards the refresher.

Before long, the sounds of violent retching were heard. It was loud enough for even a deaf person to hear. “Poor Sera,” Canderous said shaking his head. “Atton, what are your intentions? Do you wish to dishonor a princess?”

Atton’s jaw dropped. He couldn’t believe that a battle hardened warrior like Mandalore would be giving him sentimental advice. Seeing that Mandalore was waiting for an answer, he blurted out the first thing that came to mind, “ I will do what ever she thinks is right, Mandalore. I do love her with all my heart. I have loved one before that but we all know that story. She forgave me, showed me the way of the Jedi. I want to marry that girl eventually. I want to settle down and listen to the sound of kids laughing.”

He was so busy pouring out his heart he didn’t see that Sera made her way back and was shamelessly eavesdropping. She was touched. How was she going to tell him that this was all a prank from Mical and her? How would that make him react? Deciding to grab the tukata by the horns she burst out, “Did you really mean that Atton? That you would marry me?” Her right eye was frozen in it usual spot, her face aglow with love, and moist from splashing water on her face. Seeing that he wasn’t saying anything, she switched to her no nonsense voice, “Atton Jaq Rand, this wouldn’t have anything to do with you finding out about me being a princess would it?” She placed her hands on her hips.

Atton cracked a smile and said “Maybe a little. But I meant it. I really do want to marry you.” He then lowered his head trying to find his voice. Raising it back up to look her in the eye, he then said, “In fact, I want to ask you a question right now: Sera Should…Will you do me the honor of becoming my wife?”

Before Sera could answer, Mical bust into the room declaring in a loud voice, “Atton, no! She’s not really pregnant! I just wanted to get you back for humiliating me from of the crew.” It was a wild statement and completely unlike the quiet and reserved Jedi that it was comical.

Knowing this, Atton and Sera looked at each other with the question in their eyes. Sera cracked a grin and Atton nodded. Sera then looked at Mical and said, “The joke’s on you Mical. Atton knew you’d get him back eventually, so we decided to have a little plan of our own. But that got all fouled up when I found out I was pregnant.”

Mical looked stunned and about ready to faint. Here he thought that he was finally going to give Atton what he deserved but he got duped again. He looked at Mandalore who was grinning. His gaze then shifted to Sera who was laughing at him with her eyes. Atton however looked rather pleased with himself grinning like the cocky spacer he was. When it became a full fledge smile, Mical couldn’t be made. It was a good joke albeit a mean one. He then said, “I guess the joke is on me this time,” and he chuckled.

Sera grinned big before turning to Atton. Looking into his hazel eyes she said, “If you meant what you said Atton, then the answer is yes. I will.”

I read the story and I thought it alright. The only more damaging than a bad plot however is the lack of spacing. The white lettering in one massive blob says one thing to the reader, "I am going to blind you!" What I suggest is hitting enter after every paragraph. It spaces out the paragraphs and is easier on the eyes since it is white on gray background.

I have already given my comments when I beta read this but this is just a helpful tip for future postings.

Not a bad idea, the Exile faking pregnancy would be the perfect prank to play on Atton. :D Unfortunately there's some duplicity in that, because I always pictured him as a rogue-ish scoundrel who never wanted to get tied down by a family. The start of the fic made me chuckle, but at the end I didn't feel like it was totally in-character for Atton.

Still, while we're on the subject of being in-character I liked how you had Canderous question Atton's honor upon seeing his reaction. Not abandoning a pregnant woman fit very well into the code of honor the Mandalorians are portrayed as having, and was a nice touch.

On some technical tangents I was confused as to how Sera was called a princess. Maybe it's something from another fic or is just a nickname she was given, but I felt it could've been made more clear.

Very amusing premise! (It must've been an easy subject for you to write about after that thread in Ahto, too. :p)

Archived